What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

oil level incorrect Top up engine oil

A

Anonymous

here we go right got warning light on ignition oil level in correct. top up engine oil ,, but just had full service 2 months ago , any way put 2 litres of oil in stil getting warning. oil level does register on dip stick , but find not as easy to see as the ole dipsticks yeare and years ago. is it normal to get through this much oil any way hmmm thanks for any help one engine is running no warning

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I wouldn't rely on the dipstick for the oil level. I haven't seen any oil on my dipstick all the time I've had my Z, but I think there is probably some in there :eusa-think: (hope so anyway :shock: )

I assume you aren't seeing dark sticky puddles under your Z where it's parked? That would of course be a bit of a sign.

If you had a service only a few weeks ago, I think I would be going back to the service dealership & asking them to check it out. It maybe just a sensor fault, or maybe, they didn't put any oil in :?

Let us know how you get on. Probably nothing much.........

A

Anonymous

thank you for you post ..typical after posting the fault next time I got in car oil level fault had gone ha ha :)

DRTDVL

Reaction score
The dipstick is utter shit... The sensor is shit... We ended up with just over 8 ltrs of oil in our car because of it.

I had a rant in another thread about it so yeah... Your lucky.

A

Anonymous

I had this a few months ago, oil was fairly clean and from what I could see from the dipstick it needed a bit - put a good few glugs in and left it at that - then checked it again after driving briefly and allowing to cool and was all ok (and sensor had reset itself).

I then had this again (Oil Level Incorrect message) last night when it was parked on level ground on base. Checked dipstick this morning and the (now dirty oil) was at the lower level on the dipstick - bought a quick 1L of 5w30 to stick in as I was suspicious (having read all the forum threads on the subject) and drove it home. Again left it parked on the flat for a few hours, went to check it just now - oil level perfect on dipstick 2nd ball with corresponding Correct Oil Level message...

My message reads... WTF??? :wtf:

Am going to take the car to Pug for a couple of warranty items looked at (clunky front suspension/engine mounts and twitchy accelerator) and a oil, filter and plug change so I will get them to investigate a little then (I'm also going to put it on my car club 4-poster at work and check there's nothing obvious from sump etc or sitting the under-tray, but it's not leaving puddles anywhere...). I've had it a year now and while it's generally been plain sailing (other than whiny fuel pump, replaced under warranty) these few bits have soured our 'relationship' slightly! I will be mentioning to the dealer that my plan to trade for a Red Carbon or an R in a year or two rests on this car being reliable or I will simply go elsewhere with my £, DB9s are coming down a bit... :eusa-think:

hanswuk

Reaction score
The sensor is an electronic item which can malfunction but the dipstick is surely a physical check which cannot lie? Having said that it's not the easiest dipstick to read especially when the oil is clean.... I always do two checks to make absolutely sure I've got it right.

By the way you should make sure you don't overfill because that can cause problems.

A

Anonymous

You would have thought so, I did several checks and it had been stood on the flat - it was at the bottom in the morning and back at the top after 1L and a drive and then allowing to cool in the afternoon... :eusa-think: I'm aware of not overfilling, hence I only put 1L in so that I could check it again before I put any more in, it just doesn't make any sense though! Must be magic oil...

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think it's more like a magic dipstick. I know that there is some oil in there, but the dipstick seems to have made it disappear :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Guys, a thought on this oil sensor issue. I've had my Z (2014 200 petrol) for 2 months and noticed a pattern. If I park the car on a slope, it triggers the warning message on the dash, done it 3 times now. I have then monitored the level with the dipstick every time it shows 'oil level incorrect', and it always shows oil at the top mark. Each time, after about 3/4 days it returns to 'oil level correct'. So my theory is that if you park on a slope, it somehow upsets the sensor, which then resets itself after a certain period of time, and interestingly the reset seems to be related to time elapsed rather than mileage covered.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
spiritof908 said:
Guys, a thought on this oil sensor issue. I've had my Z (2014 200 petrol) for 2 months and noticed a pattern. If I park the car on a slope, it triggers the warning message on the dash, done it 3 times now. I have then monitored the level with the dipstick every time it shows 'oil level incorrect', and it always shows oil at the top mark. Each time, after about 3/4 days it returns to 'oil level correct'. So my theory is that if you park on a slope, it somehow upsets the sensor, which then resets itself after a certain period of time, and interestingly the reset seems to be related to time elapsed rather than mileage covered.

Wow! I'm amazed. You mean you can actually see oil on your dipstick :shock: :lol:

If what you are saying is true regarding the sensor, then it would probably happen to a lot more people. I know there aren't that many Z's out there, but even so, there must be a lot of owners that park on slopes, even if only occasionally, so you would expect them to have this problem.
I have parked on a steep slope in a car park on a couple of occasions, and haven't (touch wood) had any such problems yet.

I think if this is happening to you regularly when parking on a slope, I would be making a warranty appointment at my local Pug dealership. :eusa-think:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, when your oil is new or low mileage I've noticed the dipstick is very hard to show oil up on so a quick dab onto a bit of kitchen towel does the trick and you can gauge where the oil level is. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Manual says something about the oil level warning will not reset until at least 30 mins after top-up.

It also states that the warning will only be correct if parked on level ground with the engine off for 30 mins.

Part of this does make sense to me, as oil is a fluid and will slosh around away from the sensor if its not level, so its not going to be a warranty fix unless they can change gravity.

Incidentally, this is the first time I've read a manual. Or used the word 'slosh'.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Hi just to add to this I have a RCZ. The oil light has randomly come on out of nowhere. Took it to the garage and they said the oils level is fine. Could this be a sensor fault?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Almost certainly a sensor fault. I would have thought that might be covered by your warranty as you haven’t had the car that long.

Anonymous

Reaction score
I’ve had the car a while it’s no longer under warranty. I’ve booked it in for a full oil change just to give me peace of mind. Then if the fault persists I’ll have to manually monitor my oil. Although this thread makes me nervous about the reliability of the dip stick!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The dipstick is very reliable, but not always that easy to read, especially after an oil change.

The method I use & recommend is to remove dipstick, wipe clean, re insert, remove & hold horizontal. You should see where the oil “sags” which is a good indicator of the level.
It is worth noting it’s important not to overfill the oil level, just try to keep it as close to the full mark as possible.
With some RCZ’s this can mean topping up weekly as the Prince engine can use oil. It’s not a fault if it does.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your advice. I just worry because of the stupid computer alert but I trust me reading the oil plus the professionals at the garage rather than the car!!

Anonymous

Reaction score
Just an additional question does the oil light come on if it is due a oil change? My oil is currently very dark

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It doesn’t take long for the oil in the Petrol RCZ to get very black. It’s no indication as to whether it need changing or not. The oil warning light will not indicate when you need an oil change.
You need to change the oil at least when the car indicates a service is due, but some members change the oil more often than that.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Thank you! I’m going to get it changed and just hope that resolves the oil low message on the system