What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil leak/pressure issue with my RCZ

shoeben82

Reaction score
Hi all, my first post so please go gently - i'm not very mechanically minded so will try my best at describing what is going on!
I have a 60 plate 1.6 petrol RCZ and am having some oil leak/pressure issues with it.
There has been a oil leak since i purchased it in 2017 as i noticed a distinct oily smell in the cabin when sitting in traffic, various gaskets have been changed but to no avail. Car runs fun, pulls fine and so far have had no issues with it.
The oil low light has come on a couple of times in the last 6 months and it has had about 2 litres of oil in that time.
I took it to a garage a couple of days ago, put it up on the ramp. There is oil visible to the left of the block running from the inlet manifold but nothing from the turbo (luckily). With the engine on, the mechanic gently removed the oil filler cap and there was a huge amount of pressure built up inside the engine. He disconnected a breather pipe (to the right of the engine as you look at it) and there was little to no feeling of air moving. His thoughts were that there is some sort of blockage or the PCV valve (think that's what he said it was) was faulty. Because of the pressure building up in the engine, it is forcing oil out of any little gap.
Has anyone else had this problem or have any thoughts on what it could be? We have ordered a rocker cover gasket set and he's going to change all of that next week and have a look at this valve.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 20170609_143458-EFFECTS.jpg
    20170609_143458-EFFECTS.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,202

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome :greetings-wavingblue: sorry to hear your having problems, some of these THP engines do seem to use oil and you do need to keep an eye on the level which is easily said than done as it’s a pain to actually see the oil on the dipstick! Not sure about the pressure build up but the plastic rocker covers are a weak point and need great care when torquing down, my rocker gasket has been changed twice and it’s still weeping so the only solution is a new cover. Keep us informed how you get on :thumbup:

shoeben82

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, hopefully we will have answers tomorrow. Out of interest, where is the location of the PCV and is it something that can be bought seperately or is it part of a larger part??

shoeben82

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
Hi and welcome :greetings-wavingblue: sorry to hear your having problems, some of these THP engines do seem to use oil and you do need to keep an eye on the level which is easily said than done as it’s a pain to actually see the oil on the dipstick! Not sure about the pressure build up but the plastic rocker covers are a weak point and need great care when torquing down, my rocker gasket has been changed twice and it’s still weeping so the only solution is a new cover. Keep us informed how you get on :thumbup:

So the mechanic removed the rocker cover and found it to have a cheap nasty gasket on so replaced it with a much better quality one. The rocker cover was cleaned along with the PCV valve. Put back together and all appears to be breathing better and the PCV is working now. We've cleaned all the excess oil and muck off and am returning next week to inspect and check torque on the RC. Also inspection of the car revealed the front tyres were on their way out and the front discs and pads were shot so they're all being replaced next week too. Happy with the results, will see what next week brings!

BEADY

Reaction score
Have had mine in recently as I was using about a litre a month Previously thought to have been the electrovalve (inlet?) and had that done in October 18 but have still had probs Diagnosed he problem with the gasket this time and crankshaft connection Thankfully my purchased extended warranty has kicked in again Also will pay for a new turbo! I am not up on this but apparently there was a lot of "play" and also a crack which evidently is known about my Peugeot as a possible issue as they sent out a technical note in the past Still a result that warranty is invaluable Please note :)