What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil change

fisherman

Reaction score
Can anyone advise me as to what Make and grade of oil to use in my Peugeot 2013 RCZ GT 1.6 THP156 petrol engine. which has done 27,000 miles.The handbook suggests either :-
TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS 5W-30
Or
TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30
The last four services Have had 0W-30 put in according to the service record, but this was before I owned the car and I don’t know what Make Of oil it was.I noticed on some old forums in mid-2020 a couple of members plasma and Pedro had mentioned that they still use TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS 5W-30 instead of the updated TOTAL QUARTZ 0W-30 oil because it helps to lubricate the timing chains better, is this advice still valid or should I stick with 0w-30 oil Also is there any other good qualities brands of Oil that could be recommended for the RCZ in case I cannot get hold of the TOTAL QUARZ OIL which ever grade is recommended.

Flanners

Reaction score
Little in it. Personally on the low mileage car you have and the fact PSA updated their recommendation for the RCZ to 0w30, I would go with that. I use it.

The lower the W (winter) number the better the viscosity/flow at lower temperatures, then there is detergents etc blah blah

First rule is change the oil frequently.

Ebay has stacks of stock of either brew.....I just had 5 litres of 0w30 from eBay for £43 delivered.

fisherman

Reaction score
Hi Flanners
Thanks for the information, is it the TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30 that you use or another brand of oil.if so you couldn’t send me a link or tell me the website that you bought your oil from. I’m a little bit sceptical sometimes buying stuff from the Internet, at least I know if you have used them it will be okay. Also do you always use a genuine Peugeot oil filter or if not what brand do you normally use. thanks for all your help.

Pedro

Reaction score
Flanner's is right in that you can use 0w.30 but Peugeot list 2 options for these engines the other being 5w,30 so basically its down to the owners choice I have used the 5w.30 since I bought my car 4 yrs ago it had 32.000 on the clock its now done 49.895 & is still runs perfect with the original timing chain but my oil is out at 3.500 to 4000 Klms
You can't go wrong using Total Ineo try & make sure its low saps or code C3 on the label as this relates to the low ash cleansing properties in the oil & helps to keep HPT engines run cleaner

lfe

Reaction score
My THP 156CV has 115,000 km now using Total 0W30 oil.
I have to add approx 1 liter every 4000 km.

Will the oil consumption drop somewhat if I change to 5W30?

fisherman

Reaction score
Little in it. Personally on the low mileage car you have and the fact PSA updated their recommendation for the RCZ to 0w30, I would go with that. I use it.

The lower the W (winter) number the better the viscosity/flow at lower temperatures, then there is detergents etc blah blah

First rule is change the oil frequently.

Ebay has stacks of stock of either brew.....I just had 5 litres of 0w30 from eBay for £43 delivered.
Flanner's is right in that you can use 0w.30 but Peugeot list 2 options for these engines the other being 5w,30 so basically its down to the owners choice I have used the 5w.30 since I bought my car 4 yrs ago it had 32.000 on the clock its now done 49.895 & is still runs perfect with the original timing chain but my oil is out at 3.500 to 4000 Klms
You can't go wrong using Total Ineo try & make sure its low saps or code C3 on the label as this relates to the low ash cleansing properties in the oil & helps to keep HPT engines run cleaner
Hi plasma thanks for the info according to the service history the last four oil changes had 0W-30 The last of which used COMMA ECO-P 0W-30 I checked out the AECA code C3 that you had mentioned. But on both of the oils recommended in the handbook the TOTAL QUARTZ INEO ECS 5W-30 IS ACEA C2
And
TOTAL QUARTZ INEO FIRST 0W-30 IS ACEA C1
So if I used either of these oils, Is this a problem if neither of them meet the ACEA C3 code that you had suggested or should I look for a different brand that meets that code. what make of oil do you use? Also if I decided to change to 5W-30 oil would there be any problem bearing in mind it has been run mostly on 0W-30. Do you think there is a link as well between the two grades of oil bearing in mind you have always used 5W- 30 and have not had to change your timing chains yet.yet although My car has done 27,000 miles it had a timing chain changed at 20,000 miles before I bought it and it looks like it has always been run on 0W-30.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Just have a look at this viscosity test, it just shows the difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 it’s obvious the 0W-30 is going to get to those all important parts quicker 🤔

fisherman

Reaction score
Just have a look at this viscosity test, it just shows the difference between 0W-30 and 5W-30 it’s obvious the 0W-30 is going to get to those all important parts quicker 🤔

That’s quite an eye-opening video and the thing is we can and do Get some cold winters in this country And as you say I think the thicker oil is not going to get round to those all-important parts as quick and cause damage on those cold morning starts.