What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil Change Through Dipstick

tm2204

Reaction score
OK so my service kit arrived today including Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5w-30 oil.

Anxious to get all the filters changed but in particular the oil & oil filter as I've just bought my RCZ and don't know if the correct oil was used last service. I'll check the plugs as well, see what state they are in.

I know the recommended oil is now Total Quartz Ineo First 0w-30 but my car is a 2010 1.6 THP (156) with 88k miles so I'm going with Pedro's (from here) advice for higher mileage cars and sticking with the originally specified oil by Peugeot for my car.

Anyways I was wondering if anybody changes their oil by sucking it out through the dipstick with an oil pump? I had been doing this for past few years with my old 406 Coupe after it developed a serious sump plug issue which needed permanently sealing. Will I get everything out from this engine through the dipstick? This method is much cleaner and saves having to get under the car to remove the drain plug 👍 I usually suck the old oil out straight into an old 5L oil container, replace the oil filter then re-fill with fresh oil.

Last edited:

thornebt

Reaction score
I know some people will say that draining the oil through the dipstick is not a good way to do it but I did that every time on my RCZ. The car is so low that it's not easy getting to the sump plug (there's probably a cover that needs to be removed?) and when removing the sump plug on any car I've always managed to spill at least some oil on the drive! When using the siphon I'm sure it bottomed out in the sump so was confident I was draining all the oil. Like you say it's a much cleaner method. A good quality suction pump is a good investment.

You have to remove a few ducting bits to get to the oil filter but at least it's done from above. I think I used a large socket - no need for an oil filter wrench.

Cheers. Bruce.

tianorth

Reaction score
The only thing I can see is that you cannot tell if there is any metallic particles on the magnetic sump plug, or without removing the sump plug to clean any particles off.

Are you using an engine flush?
I've heard that you shouldn't mix different grade of synthetic oils eg 5w30 and 0w30, cannot remember who told me but would have been a garage.
Just a question as you're not sure about the oil.

Pedro

Reaction score
OK so my service kit arrived today including Total Quartz Ineo ECS 5w-30 oil.

Anxious to get all the filters changed but in particular the oil & oil filter as I've just bought my RCZ and don't know if the correct oil was used last service. I'll check the plugs as well, see what state they are in.

I know the recommended oil is now Total Quartz Ineo First 0w-30 but my car is a 2010 1.6 THP (156) with 88k miles so I'm going with Pedro's (from here) advice for higher mileage cars and sticking with the originally specified oil by Peugeot for my car.

Anyways I was wondering if anybody changes their oil by sucking it out through the dipstick with an oil pump? I had been doing this for past few years with my old 406 Coupe after it developed a serious sump plug issue which needed permanently sealing. Will I get everything out from this engine through the dipstick? This method is much cleaner and saves having to get under the car to remove the drain plug 👍 I usually suck the old oil out straight into an old 5L oil container, replace the oil filter then re-fill with fresh oil.
The Prince Engine has a "Suds Baffle plate " above the pan so if you don't get the tube all the way into the sump you will be missing picking up any residues left in there & any crap or contaminated oil will do these Engines no good & waste your hard earned cash always drop the plug out that way you will do the job right ;)

tm2204

Reaction score
The only thing I can see is that you cannot tell if there is any metallic particles on the magnetic sump plug, or without removing the sump plug to clean any particles off.

I've heard that you shouldn't mix different grade of synthetic oils eg 5w30 and 0w30, cannot remember who told me but would have been a garage.

No I don't plan to use an engine flush but on consideration I think I will be going the traditional route of draining from the sump 👍

I don't plan to mix grades, I'm just opting to use the 5w-30 Total 👍

tm2204

Reaction score
The Prince Engine has a "Suds Baffle plate " above the pan so if you don't get the tube all the way into the sump you will be missing picking up any residues left in there & any crap or contaminated oil will do these Engines no good & waste your hard earned cash always drop the plug out that way you will do the job right ;)

Thanks Pedro... On consideration I will go the traditional route especially as this engine seems so sensitive to oil grade & quality. If the dipstick method does not clean out all contaminants then there's no point doing it this way. I started using this method on my old car as I has a problem with the sump plug that would have necessitated an oil pan swap otherwise. In fairness it's a simpler & cleaner way to do the oil change but if it doesn't fully remove all sediments & residues then I'll not go this route 👍

Pedro

Reaction score

[/QU

Your right 0.30 doesn't like 5.30 & vice versa I would imagine they won't blend together as one is heavier than the other a bit like putting cooking oil in a hot bath just before your missus gets in it just leaves an oil slick on the top 😄;)