What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil change lessons

A

Anonymous

Spent a few hours this afternoon changing the oil in my RCZ for the first time so I thought i would share a few lessons for others interested in doing the same job.

- The oil sump plug under the engine is hidden by a large plastic cover that needs you take out 3 bolts and a nut with a 10mm socket. Not a difficult job.

- The sump plug needs an 8mm hex key to open. Luckily I had a set of hex key sockets that I could fit to my socket wrench. You might get away with an 8mm alan key

- The oil filter isn't located under the engine, it's accessed from the top. You have to remove the air intake cover on the lower right of the engine as you look at it. The top piece clips off as does the piece connected to the hose (the button is located to the right hand side towards the bottom of the piece. Undo the jubilee clip and you can remove it.

- The RCZ uses a filter element that is replaced rather than a whole can type filter. To remove the filter housing you will need a 27mm socket (£5.99 in halfords) and a 1/2 inch socket wrench. It's a bit tight at first because of a rubber o ring but once you get it beyond that it unscrews easily enough. Remove the filter and replace.

- When I was filling with oil, the dipstick oil was that clean that I didn't notice it go beyond the upper level and ended up having to drain a half litre of oil through the sump plug again. What ever you do, DO NOT TURN ON A CAR IF THE OIL LEVEL IS OUTSIDE THE UPPER AND LOWER BOUNDARIES ON THE DIPSTICK!!!

- My drive way has a few oil spots, next time I'll do it on the road.

- Buy a hydraulic jack. Got mine for £100 in costco and it's been invaluable for car work. Make sure you have axle stands as well

- Total cost for the job excluding the 27mm socket was just under £50. Far less than any garage would charge and I know that I'm getting the best oil in the car.

I may write up a how to with photos etc if there is enough interest.

A

Anonymous

Top thread and thanks for taking the time to post it X! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Top thread and thanks for taking the time to post it X! :thumbup:

100% agreement, even when I'll most probably never have to do that :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

No bother at all. If anyone wants to give it a go themselves I'll be happy to give advice and answer questions on it. It's really not a difficult job as long as you have the right tools and take your time.

A

Anonymous

Good post.

I started a thread a couple of months ago in technical which you commented on, glad you done it first as i would not of had the correct size socket at hand.

I will tackle my oil change next weekend using your valued information. :clap:

A

Anonymous

I'll see about getting a picture of the oil filter when it stops raining as it's really not obvious if you don't know what you are looking for. The drain plug is the only 8mm hex bolt underneath the engine on the bottom of the oil sump which looks like a rectangular tray bolted onto the engine behind the protective plastic tray.

I'm always of the opinion that you should be able to carry out basic maintenance jobs on a car but I seem to be rather old school in that thinking. I couldn't believe when chatting to a colleague in work that his new Audi didn't have a dipstick!

A

Anonymous

Only the one behind the wheel :) my bimmer hadn't one either just electronic read out on the dash.

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
I couldn't believe when chatting to a colleague in work that his new Audi didn't have a dipstick!

Really???

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

Yup no dipstick. Apparently the hole is still there so you can pay them something like £30 for a stick and remove the plug in the hole but I think that's crazy. If I was buying a new audi I wouldn't be driving away without one for the price you pay!

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
Yup no dipstick. Apparently the hole is still there so you can pay them something like £30 for a stick and remove the plug in the hole but I think that's crazy. If I was buying a new audi I wouldn't be driving away without one for the price you pay!
I thought I'd heard it all but that seems stupid! I know why they do it but even so....!

For a short time in my late teens I started an apprenticeship with a vauxhall dealers parts department. I was sent on lots of courses and one of their main goals was for all new cars to be only serviceable by the dealer network by the year 2000 (this would have been around 1997).
But not being able to check your oil level is retarded!
I didn't last long in that job as it was the most dull and boring job in the world :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

A

Anonymous

When it's an electronic sensor vs a dipstick I know which I would trust to 1) Not break and 2) Give me a reliable reading

wilbur007

Reaction score
Spent a few hours this afternoon changing the oil in my RCZ for the first time so I thought i would share a few lessons for others interested in doing the same job.

- The oil sump plug under the engine is hidden by a large plastic cover that needs you take out 3 bolts and a nut with a 10mm socket. Not a difficult job.

- The sump plug needs an 8mm hex key to open. Luckily I had a set of hex key sockets that I could fit to my socket wrench. You might get away with an 8mm alan key

- The oil filter isn't located under the engine, it's accessed from the top. You have to remove the air intake cover on the lower right of the engine as you look at it. The top piece clips off as does the piece connected to the hose (the button is located to the right hand side towards the bottom of the piece. Undo the jubilee clip and you can remove it.

- The RCZ uses a filter element that is replaced rather than a whole can type filter. To remove the filter housing you will need a 27mm socket (£5.99 in halfords) and a 1/2 inch socket wrench. It's a bit tight at first because of a rubber o ring but once you get it beyond that it unscrews easily enough. Remove the filter and replace.

- When I was filling with oil, the dipstick oil was that clean that I didn't notice it go beyond the upper level and ended up having to drain a half litre of oil through the sump plug again. What ever you do, DO NOT TURN ON A CAR IF THE OIL LEVEL IS OUTSIDE THE UPPER AND LOWER BOUNDARIES ON THE DIPSTICK!!!

- My drive way has a few oil spots, next time I'll do it on the road.

- Buy a hydraulic jack. Got mine for £100 in costco and it's been invaluable for car work. Make sure you have axle stands as well

- Total cost for the job excluding the 27mm socket was just under £50. Far less than any garage would charge and I know that I'm getting the best oil in the car.

I may write up a how to with photos etc if there is enough interest.
I've recently bought the diesel"" and i want to do a full service by myself...i am no macanic..its my love for a special car "" ive bought the tool to remove the oil filter.. ive gone with bosh oil filter because they are a good choice .. thankyou for the help...