What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oil and coolant - head gasket?

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone

So my RCZ has started burning through oil and leaking coolant. The garage think its the head gasket but there's no creamy layer on the oil cap. From their fault finding I also have the follow g points :
Extreme knock on cylinder 4
Slight leak on water pump
Header tank pressuring up
Hydrocarbons in header tank on sniffer test

Before paying out a small fortune for a head gasket is there anything else it could be?

Thanks

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't mention what engine it is. Petrols do use a certain amount of oil anyway.

If you aren't sure, don't use it. I assume if it's burning coolant it will be steaming from the exhaust.
Coolant/water and oil don't mix meaning you will probably end up borking something if you run the engine with incorrect lubrication. Probably something expensive.

Mayonnaise type stuff on the inside of the oil cap isn't a 100% indicator of HGF anyway, as you can get it from doing short trips. I've had it on 3 cars in the past and none of those used oil, coolant or needed any work.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
HGF is very unlikely on the THP engines. I assume you have a petrol engine.

I'd rather tip for the oil cooler. The THP engines have an oil cooler bolted to the engine. Its purpose is to warm up engine oil during engine warm up phase and to cool down engine oil when required. The heat exchange happens via engine coolant. So engine coolant runs through the oil cooler to warm/cool the oil.
Unfortunately those devices may become leaky over time and then they start to leak engine oil into the coolant. As soon as your coolant starts to change its color towards rusty, brown fluid, it'd set your alarm bells ringing. Latest when you discover some oily patch floating on the engine coolant in the header tank, it is time to replace the oil cooler.

The oil cooler on the THPs sits on the upper right rear corner of the cylinder head when you stand in front of the engine. I can take a picture of it, if it helps.

A

Anonymous

Thanks

It's the 200 petrol engine.

A pic of the oil cooler would be great - particularly if there would be any visible signs of a problem

RCZ-R

Reaction score
There you go. This is on the R engine but I suppose it is the same on the THP 200 engine.

A proper garage will correctly diagnose a failure of the oil cooler vs head gasket failure. As already mentioned HGF is rare on the THP. :greetings-wavingblue:

Attachments

• IMG_20180717_184858.jpg
    IMG_20180717_184858.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 10,601
  • IMG_20180717_185046.jpg
    IMG_20180717_185046.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 10,603

drdino

Reaction score
That's the high pressure fuel pump. The oil cooler is at the base of the oil filter.

tianorth

Reaction score
A couple of pictures.

Oil filter on a 200 bhp

High pressure fuel pump.

So you can see what the references above are about.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
How stupid of me. I'm sorry for the mistake :greetings-wavingblue:

I wonder if there are any differences in oil cooling between the THP200 and the R engine?
Can you see any on pug's servicebox?