What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oh No !! Local Car Wash.....

A

Anonymous

.....Broken :thumbdown: :(

My car is covered in salt and streaks down the side / rear arches.

Went to my local Automatic Car Wash that does the works - out of action due to the ice :wtf: :crazy:

Had to hand wash / polish :?
Wow, now there's a boring job - and two hours of my life that I'll never get back.

C'mon Garages - if the ice is going to knacker your God-sent machines, build them indoors or something :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Most jetwashes and auto car washes are out of action when temps drop sub zero. If you find one that's working the queue is usually half a mile long.

But an RCZ through an automatic car wash?? ? :shock: :eek:

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't usually use an automatic car wash but yesterday I decided it was the lesser of two evils. I couldn't wash my car in the street as we live on a steep hill and the water would have turned to ice and potentially caused an accident. However with 600 motorway miles under my belt in 3 days my opal White car was covered in dried on salt and christ knows what else and I found a car wash that was working and took it through.

Fortunately there is nothing untoward to report and 80% of the muck has gone. Not ideal but better than leaving it covered in salt surely?

RCZ1

Reaction score
OMG :eek:

I would rather keep it dirty until such time as I could wash it safely. NEVER take it through an automatic car wash. Believe me, there will be damage. There wll be swirls and fine scratches to be seen for sure :thumbdown:

Gorwell said:
Had to hand wash / polish :?
Wow, now there's a boring job - and two hours of my life that I'll never get

Why did you polish too? Do you not have any wax or sealant protection on your car?
If you did, then polishing would be removing it and polish alone does not give your car sufficient protection from the winter weather.

A

Anonymous

We are going to have to beg to differ on this. Salt is highly corrosive and eats through pretty much everything given enough time. Sealants help a little of course but my car was literally coated.

If we were talking about dirt I would agree with you. But salt - get it off and get it off quickly.

And there are no swirls or scratches - FOR SURE!!

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes I know salt is corrosive but a few days is not going to make that much difference AND if your car is properly protected then it will withstand the worst of it.

Have you looked at your paintwork under proper lighting? Brushes ARE going to damage paintwork there is no way of avoiding it. But yes we are going to have to beg to differ. It certainly wouldn't be for me.

A

Anonymous

I don't think salt is big problem.For modern car's paint it's nothing compare with damage what automatic wash bring to you. ;( 

A

Anonymous

interflow said:
We are going to have to beg to differ on this. Salt is highly corrosive and eats through pretty much everything given enough time. Sealants help a little of course but my car was literally coated.

If we were talking about dirt I would agree with you. But salt - get it off and get it off quickly.

And there are no swirls or scratches - FOR SURE!!

You haven't taken it through an auto car wash then! As a former techie for Wilcomatic (the people who make them) I can tell you that the "brushes" you have subjected your bodywork to contain the same fibres that you'd find in a foam scourer.

Nice..

A

Anonymous

As for salt not doing that much damage - just google it.

And yes, I have been through a car wash - I didn't imagine it and there is no damage. I am not extolling the virtues of Car Washes here. My single point is that my car was covered (even the roof) in dried on salt deposits brought about by driving 500 miles plus in extreme weather conditions.

Next weekend when the weather is warmer I look forward to getting out in the street with my two wash mits, wheel brush, bucket and pressure washer and getting the last little bits of muck off it.

Until then - it is far better off now than it was coated in salt.

A

Anonymous

washed and gave my car a full waxing today up here in very mild glasgow 9 degrees ;) you english are getting a taste of what we normally get weather wise that is :lol:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
.....you english are getting a taste of what we normally get weather wise that is :lol:

And we (welsh) don't like it either :lol:
Take it back up there to you Scots - where it naturally belongs :thumbup:

I've only never taken one car through an automatic car wash - due to its roof - and everytime I sold the vehicle on, every one without fail has had comment on how great the bodywork, engine and interior are.

I would bow down and kneel before the Genius who invented this machine :clap:

As above, salt is the "killer" and the local Council must have overstocked this year as they're throwing it all over the roads every night :eek:
Look forward to my Council Tax increase for the new financial year :eusa-think:

Still say that anyone that enjoys the time spent washing / polishing a car really needs to get out more and see what life has to offer.

RCZ1

Reaction score
It was a tropical 5 degrees today, much warmer than of late but alas Sunday is a day that I'm not able to wash the car, too busy.

The weather is getting much milder this week so hopefully next weekend will see a clean Pearl.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Gorwell said:
I've only never taken one car through an automatic car wash - due to its roof - and everytime I sold the vehicle on, every one without fail has had comment on how great the bodywork, engine and interior are.

Most people wouldn't know what swirls, cobwebbing looks like, so wouldn't even be looking for it.

Still say that anyone that enjoys the time spent washing / polishing a car really needs to get out more and see what life has to offer.

You obviously don't enjoy it Gorwell and that's all well and good. I live life to the full and use car washing as a therapeutic, relaxing pastime. It chills me out but each to their own eh ;)

t110jim

Reaction score
Yep us car cleaners are sad, came home on thursday night to find the Old Boy next door had just got his fence posts replaced, Thay had been using some sort of concrete cutter. RCZ was covered in cement dust, boy was I not a happy bunny . Power washed off most of the Dust on Sunday in tropical Scotland and carefully washed car. Then out with the Polishing machine, I have managed to get rear of car Polished with Gtechniq P1 and applied C1 as wolfs Bodywrap was not beading or sheeting. hope the weathers good this weekend so I can continue. Happy Cleaning

A

Anonymous

Well Pearl2 has not bee cleaned for five weeks now. This is the longest that she has gone since birth. Will be using the pan scrubbers on her wheels next week as I want to se them wheels shine as they once did. Got next week off so shall be scrubbing her filthy coat off to reveal her lovely pearl coat :eusa-shhh:

RCZ1

Reaction score
t110jim said:
Yep us car cleaners are sad, came home on thursday night to find the Old Boy next door had just got his fence posts replaced, Thay had been using some sort of concrete cutter. RCZ was covered in cement dust, boy was I not a happy bunny . Power washed off most of the Dust on Sunday in tropical Scotland and carefully washed car. Then out with the Polishing machine, I have managed to get rear of car Polished with Gtechniq P1 and applied C1 as wolfs Bodywrap was not beading or sheeting. hope the weathers good this weekend so I can continue. Happy Cleaning

Hi Jim

How long had Wolf's Body Wrap been on your car and were you using the Wolf's shampoo too?

I'd be interested to know what you think of C1 and how you found application. I'm also interested in the new sealants that have recently appeared in the market, like CeramIshield and Toughcoat. Might give them a try when the BW expires. Been on mine 4 months now and husband's for 6 months. Still performing well. :thumbup: Although my car hasn't been washed for 3 weeks now.

t110jim

Reaction score
bodywrap applied in October after machine polish and ipa wipe down also used nanobathe shampoo beading and sheeting very good initally but soon faded. P1 polish seems a bit dusty but overall corrected paint well C1 seems very easy to apply. small shower overnight resulted in small tight beading will update as I go round the rest of the car.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Strange with the BW. Did you use the QD Reparation? I use it about once a month just to give it a little zing. I really like BW and does seem to self clean to some extent.

I found P1 was dusty, quite dusty in fact. I much prefer the Megs 105 and 205.

t110jim

Reaction score
Yes i used the QD car has not been used since November but washed afew times,gloss was still good . I like the menzerna Po85rd it does not seem to be too dusty but the P1 has also done a good job . I have also replace the IPA with Carpro Eraser (this smells really nice ) I really like it. It rained a bit today and beading on C1 looks good.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I want to try the Carpro Eraser. I was going to wait for the Detailing Day when Carpro UK are going to be there. Thought I might get it a bit cheaper ;)

I've got the Menzerna but I don't know if it was because I was new to machine polishing at the time, but I couldn't really get on with that either, which is why I went with the Megs, which I find really easy to use with the CG Hexlogic pads. :thumbup: