What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Oh dear

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Just rounded a corner to see a Police car parked with the cop pointing a camera straight at me :law-policered:

A quick glance down showed 41 in a 30 limit. Bugger ! :thumbdown:

2retro

Reaction score
Well they do say 40 is the new 30... :roll:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Over here, I have been reliably informed and observed, it is mainly down to quotas.
So if the immaculately turned out polite Guardia has not reached his target for the day, you are DONE.
If he has, then he is GONE.
Been there, seen it, done it, in the first case and paid half for "early discount".
Seen them packing up, so wiped sweaty brow and escaped in second case.
Margins are a myth, as is trying to talk your way out of it, unless you, your brother, uncle, etc is Guardia, in which case the multa (fine) goes away and a chat about the family takes place.
We do know some Guardia, but not related, unfortunately.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I’m just so pleased that the police have now managed their resources to such an extent that they can now not only show a strong police presence in high crime areas to deter burglaries, knife crime, drugs etc etc but they have spare cars & officers over so they can afford to have one sitting in a leafy suberb in the sunshine, near the bottom of a steep hill where it’s nearly impossible to keep to 30.

Well done to them, I can’t wait for the announcement on the news that major crime has been conquered & they can now concentrate on stopping law abiding people from committing minor road traffic offences. :eusa-think:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Bummer :x

Can you take it to the court? I mean, are cases like this in UK defend-able? Or is it just wasting time&money thus paying the fine is the reasonable choice?

Why I'm asking. I just recently went through a long-lasting case here in ze Germany. The case was about speeding on the autobahn. A very nasty spot where they got me. The speed limit was applied down to 80 KMH only 200 meters after an unlimited stretch of autobahn. I was flying with over 140 MPH and started to slow down for this section but they got me with like plus 30 KMH by the time I got to the measuring spot. I'd had to slam the brakes like in emergency mode to make it for the limit.
The case was unclear also in regards on how they actually applied the speed measuring devices. As in this case a police officer was conducting the measurement back then, our options were limited. In other cases, private companies do all those speed checks in Germany and you can fight against them. But one needs patience, money and a strong health to do so. Fighting in courts in Germany is not a piece of cake. I hope to never see them again in my whole life. They are not regulated so you cannot rely on a common interpretation of laws and regulations across all of them. Finally we won, but it took me over 2 years to win this case.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Big congrats on winning your case. Here in the UK, if you have stacks of money, there are certain lawyers that will take your case (usually celebrities, sports stars etc) they will look at things like when the measuring device was last calibrated/tested, when the officer had his last refresher on using the device etc etc. More often than not, they will win the case, but at such a cost it’s probably cheaper to pay the fine, and the extra insurance premiums for the next 5 years. :helpme:

Believe it or not, I have never had a speeding fine before, I know, crazy isn’t it? So that’s what makes this so annoying, I didn’t get caught doing 110 down a country lane or overtaking someone on the motorway at 120, I simply let the thing run down the hill & was braking round the corner as I had my wife in the car with me, holding our new puppy.

It is a 30 limit zone, I usually do nearer 50 in it, today I was doing @ 40 & some constable with nothing better to do decided to hide round a corner instead of going out & actually protecting the public like he is getting paid to do. :thumbdown: :law-policered:

I will pay the fine & take the points :brickwall: & make sure next time I’m going that fast they can’t get the camera on me :lol:

n.alex46

Reaction score
Hi there if you haven't a already done one in last two years you should be offered a speed awareness course instead of a fine. So hopefully it may not be as bad as you think also when I got an endorsement for a separate one that didn't affect my insurance at all.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Isn’t the speed awareness course only offered if you are only exceeding the speed limit by a certain figure?

n.alex46

Reaction score
I was doing 42 in a 30 when I got mine in Leeds don't know if different areas have same policy but should be same also bearing in mind spedo normally reads slightly higher than actual speed.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Fingers crossed for that then, I just read this on RAC site....

Attachments

• 550E987A-22F8-4348-A28F-98BC74400914.png
    550E987A-22F8-4348-A28F-98BC74400914.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 7,018

n.alex46

Reaction score
My points one was in Febuary this year I think it was same as yours 41 in a 30 and I got the standard three points and a £100 fine cos I thought I had seen that chart somewhere and was expecting a worse fine so hopefully it's not in force yet.
But when I went on speed course there were people who had been caught going faster than I had so hopefully you should be ok if it drops through your door in next two week. ( both times it was there within 4 days )

renegade79

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Bummer :x

Can you take it to the court? I mean, are cases like this in UK defend-able? Or is it just wasting time&money thus paying the fine is the reasonable choice?

Why I'm asking. I just recently went through a long-lasting case here in ze Germany. The case was about speeding on the autobahn. A very nasty spot where they got me. The speed limit was applied down to 80 KMH only 200 meters after an unlimited stretch of autobahn. I was flying with over 140 MPH and started to slow down for this section but they got me with like plus 30 KMH by the time I got to the measuring spot. I'd had to slam the brakes like in emergency mode to make it for the limit.
The case was unclear also in regards on how they actually applied the speed measuring devices. As in this case a police officer was conducting the measurement back then, our options were limited. In other cases, private companies do all those speed checks in Germany and you can fight against them. But one needs patience, money and a strong health to do so. Fighting in courts in Germany is not a piece of cake. I hope to never see them again in my whole life. They are not regulated so you cannot rely on a common interpretation of laws and regulations across all of them. Finally we won, but it took me over 2 years to win this case.
What was your legal argument for winning the case then?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
What was your legal argument for winning the case then?

We have been able to prove that the measuring itself and the measuring device was not set properly. It took us a while to do so. First the court was not leaning towards other court judgement which proved similar discrepancies in similar situations but stayed with the expert's assessment of the measuring device producer proving the device must be OK. It was a lengthy battle but obviously I picked a good lawyer who was willing to fight for the case.
The measuring was bogus right from the start because I can still remember the speedo showing a value lower to what was measured and put against me on the notice. We all know speedos advance a bit (in the RCZ by exactly +6 kmh GPS speed all across the speedo) and then on top of that the measuring device also deviates by certain percentage from the real world results. All this also became part of our defence.
For me it was not only about money but to prove them wrong. Usually if they get me speeding then I just pay. It doesn't happen often but as there are more and more speeding controls over here, it just happens once in few years.

Even worse than speed controls are all those distance measurements on the autobahns. This is just sick because they do it mostly in heavy traffic. And then it just impossible to keep that far distance to the car in front of you. When you do, another car will jump into the space you just created in front of you. And again, and again. It just doesn't make any sense. I do understand the importance of those controls because there are some audi jerks just trying to kiss your rear bumper all the time. But usually they do those measurements in places where there is no danger to the traffic. So they get their turnover.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Believe it or not, I have never had a speeding fine before, I know, crazy isn’t it? So that’s what makes this so annoying, I didn’t get caught doing 110 down a country lane or overtaking someone on the motorway at 120, I simply let the thing run down the hill & was braking round the corner as I had my wife in the car with me, holding our new puppy...

First time hurts the most ;)
At least it is not a range where they would take your license away.

A

Anonymous

just had a motorway awareness course courtesy of a 75 in a 60 limited "smart" motorway.
apparently it was set at 60 for the severe congestion being experienced.
they then sent me a picture of a white RCZ in the centre of 6 unoccupied lanes of motorway.
22 of us on the 4 hour course and 75 percent had been caught out around Newport south wales near the brynglas tunnels.
the rest on the M4 near Bristol.
frequently these are on at 50 or 60 with no sign of any problem or traffic build up.

I have to give them their due the course was very informative and delivered in a friendly manner rather than telling us off.

better that than 3 points and it cost the same as the fine anyway.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You never know Pete the cop may just have blinked as you flashed into sight :crazy: I think they have to inform you within two weeks of the offence so you’ll have to count the days down, or get a bigger dog to keep the postman away :lol:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Not a sight you want to see very often

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
If I’d seen him at this point I would have been OK, but it was round a bend at the bottom of a hill & in the shade of the trees,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
You never know Pete the cop may just have blinked as you flashed into sight :crazy: I think they have to inform you within two weeks of the offence so you’ll have to count the days down, or get a bigger dog to keep the postman away :lol:

I think the best I could hope for is that he had a puncture in the way back to the station. It would’nt stop me getting a ticket, but it would make me feel a bit better :eusa-whistle:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
In North Yorks they do have a scale that they will offer the course;

in a 30 they will allow upto 35 after that straight fine, uninteresting is the allowed discrepancy figures as per Police Guidlines -

30mph + 10% ( 3mph ) = 33mph plus 2mph clock adjustment = 35mph

but in good old N.Yorks they only give 1mph for clock adjustment, hense me getting done at 35mph, anything less than this and I wouldn't have got done anyway?

just for the record N.Yorks has gone from one van to 5 vans AND a motorbike with tripod setup - very hard to see until you get to it, and that's what got me and two other cars all plodding !!! along with no danger to anyone, I was in the middle, so just going with the flow.

Cheers M. :beer: - no sorry that would be drink driving.... :dance: Thanks :thumbup: