What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

noisy mirrors

A

Anonymous

Hi
Bought my RCZ Asphalt (two months old, ex demo) in May 12 and love it to bits. Not many RCZ's about and always get great comments when parking up. Had a noisy wing mirror on passenger side for some time and decided to get it checked out after my betterhalf pushed the rear parking sensors in while washing the car. The local dealer is trying to replace with a new mirror but cannot get the paint colour and finish right, getting worried! Came to the car this morning and after a cold night the noise had almost gone and making me think it may be a temperature thing? Mine sounds like a grinding noise, has anyone solved this problem other than by replacing the mirror? :?

A

Anonymous

I have heard mine do it once it was the morning after I washed it and they creaked / squeaked like they were rubbing against something it was cold that morning.
In the evening after I finished work it didn't do it and hasn't all week just done my Sunday detailing marathon (rcz wash/wax) so will let you know if it does it again in the morning.

Note I have heard other makes of cars mirrors squeak too so not too worried about mine

A

Anonymous

Squirt some WD 40 inside the mirror housing, worked for me.

A

Anonymous

bradshaw said:
Squirt some WD 40 inside the mirror housing, worked for me.
I squirt WD40 before and after washing.
Not to much - using the stray attachment.

A

Anonymous

No Squeaks this morning but not surprised as rained all night

A

Anonymous

My better half tried this between the main part of the mirror and the base but that didn't work. He says there is a hole beind the mirror, is that where you sprayed the wd40. If so I will get him to try it tomorrow (if its not raining). He is conviced that a bit of oil or wd in the right place will do the trick. I will let you know how we get on. Thanks for tip

A

Anonymous

now a month since last message. Mirrors still making a noise and garage still unable to match paint for replacement mirror. I think it is time to complain to Peugeot direct

A

Anonymous

pokerface said:
now a month since last message. Mirrors still making a noise and garage still unable to match paint for replacement mirror. I think it is time to complain to Peugeot direct

I can't understand this. :eusa-think: How are they unable to match the paints?! Also, they can, I believe, be ordered directly from Peugeot pre colour matched.

ksb

Reaction score
I've seen this complaint a few times, when are the mirrors making the odd noise? Is it when they retract/extract or as you're driving?

Our 407 (4 years old now, awesome car!) has retractable mirrors and they happily whirr in and out on command. So far my RCZ do much the same but are much louder, not that I care too much but I am curious.

A

Anonymous

ksb said:
I've seen this complaint a few times, when are the mirrors making the odd noise? Is it when they retract/extract or as you're driving?

Our 407 (4 years old now, awesome car!) has retractable mirrors and they happily whirr in and out on command. So far my RCZ do much the same but are much louder, not that I care too much but I am curious.

Mine happened when opening AND when retracting. The noise was louder when retracting. It is a loud grinding sound and most unpleasant.

ksb

Reaction score
mrizzle said:
ksb said:

Mine happened when opening AND when retracting. The noise was louder when retracting. It is a loud grinding sound and most unpleasant.

Right... I'll keep an ear out for that. Is the consensus water damage (given the WD40 advice)? Perhaps some precautionary work is needed, any advice on where to apply lubricant, repellent or other?

A

Anonymous

ksb said:
mrizzle said:
ksb said:

Right... I'll keep an ear out for that. Is the consensus water damage (given the WD40 advice)? Perhaps some precautionary work is needed, any advice on where to apply lubricant, repellent or other?

You may have noticed that water appears to pool and sit inside the mirror unit/the hinge. This is the area that tends to require being replaced/to rust. To this end I would suggest that either will have some effect. This is a common fault but affects some more than others.