What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

noise from the clutch when reversing

A

Anonymous

Anybody out there in the RCZ world had a problem with an intermittent slipping clutch type sound when reversing on an incline. it started after about three months old from new which i reported, had it checked out but the main dealer could,nt find anything. advised to to let the problem develop, which i did. its now starting to do it going forward when holding the car on the clutch on hills, but again very intermittent. car at the main dealer at the moment for a cart load of other warranty issues, and guess what, they are saying it is now out of warranty as it is a clutch issue. don,t worry i wont be paying!!!!!! i reported it well within the warranty period. The car has only done 6.5 thousand miles. Cheers Dave :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

"its now starting to do it going forward when holding the car on the clutch on hills" The RCZ does have hill assist Dave. Why would you deliberately slip the clutch in order to remain stationary? As you say hills, it would suggest to me that this is your normal driving style. Burnt out clutch will be a recurring problem in your car unless you change your driving style.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
"its now starting to do it going forward when holding the car on the clutch on hills" The RCZ does have hill assist Dave. Why would you deliberately slip the clutch in order to remain stationary? As you say hills, it would suggest to me that this is your normal driving style. Burnt out clutch will be a recurring problem in your car unless you change your driving style.
Hi Ron, thank you for the reply, yep i appreciate that the car has hill assist. which holds for approx 2 seconds after the break pedal releases. But this problem initially started when reversing into my garage which has a relatively small ramp to negotiate so the clutch pedal has to be used in the normal manner. I can do the reversing 30 times with no problems whatsoever and then out of the Blue the slipping clutch sound starts not doing anything different. this started very early after getting the car from new. Started after 3 thousand miles ish but very intermittent.
Then all of a sudden it did it on a moderate incline on a round about. There are times where you have no option but to hold the car on the clutch. But i do not ride the clutch. I have had three peugeot cars plus several other cars over my 38 years driving career, plus several company cars and i have never had a single issue with any clutch, never had to change one and certainly never burnt one out, so a little confused as to why my driving style is in question. Problems to date with the car: 1 Engine coolant low warning light came on, topped the level back up and monitored it, continued to fall. back to main dealer, leak detected on the coolant system, new seal fitted. 2 Rumbling/rattling from the back end of the car. Back to main dealer, problem with the rear suspension, new parts fitted. 3 wing mirror juddering when actuated, only happened approx 1 in 10 operations, back to main dealer, no fault detected, fault continued for the next 8 months, main dealer would not replace it if they didn,t see it happening. Now back at the main dealer for a new one fitting and they have agreed there is a fault. 4 engine temp too high warning came on stop the car, this happened 5 times in 2 days, checked the engine, not hot and all coolant levels correct. Now Back at the main dealer and a faulty sensor detected, new part being fitted tomorrow. So all this and only just had its first Birthday last week and only done just over 6 thousand miles. So as you can imagine i am not the happiest RCZ owner in the world. Don,t get me wrong Ron the car is amazing and the main dealer has been very good. But to be told I would have to pay for any work on the clutch, after I had reported it and told to let the fault develop was the last straw.
Cheers Dave :beer: :beer:

A

Anonymous

Point taken. I mentioned your driving style based purely on the wording of your original post. Reading of your driving experience and lack of clutch problems, then clearly this can be discounted. So as the fault was reported within the warranty period, I am too surprised by the remark that the cost is down to you. I assume they have a reason other than time limits ie upon inspection they have concluded that the damage is not a manufacturing defect or similar? I would be pursuing the matter with my dealer and then Peugeot customer services if the dealer failed to convince me that it was an error on my part.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Point taken. I mentioned your driving style based purely on the wording of your original post. Reading of your driving experience and lack of clutch problems, then clearly this can be discounted. So as the fault was reported within the warranty period, I am too surprised by the remark that the cost is down to you. I assume they have a reason other than time limits ie upon inspection they have concluded that the damage is not a manufacturing defect or similar? I would be pursuing the matter with my dealer and then Peugeot customer services if the dealer failed to convince me that it was an error on my part.
hi

Hi Ron, getting very frustrated with this now, spoke to the technician today who said he had taken it for a test drive and did,nt have a problem (correct this is what we have been telling them) but he managed to replicate the noise i had recorded for them by over heating the clutch. (They are still not getting what i am telling them) the problem when reversing into my garage is happening when the clutch is stone cold as the car has been sat on the drive for anything up to 4 hours and i am reversing just over the length of the car. its not a clutch overheating problem. it is an intermittent problem which happens completely out of the blue. They have no grounds whatsoever to dispute this is a genuine warranty claim, especially with all the other problems i have had. Everything about the car is in absolute mint condition. The car does 6 miles a day Monday to Friday and a couple of nice long drives over the weekend to unwind and enjoy the RCZ for what it is, hence the low 6+ thousand miles in 12 months. They are now saying if i give them approval to remove the gearbox to carry out a more detailed inspection they will, but if its not found to be a warranty issue i will have to pay the 6 hour labour cost plus parts. (Boll....s to that one). On a more happy note great tip last year on the furniture clinic leather kit you recommended. Brilliant stuff, i swear by it. Cheers Dave :beer: :beer:

A

Anonymous

Yes and you opened up a right old can of worms then too. Good to hear that you approve of both the advice and most importantly the product. I'm guessing your clutch issue is going to take a while longer to get to the bottom of though. You say they are a good dealer, so I'm assuming (again) that you have confidence in them. Allow them to take it out and locate the problem. If they are good and know what they are doing, then once out it should be easy for them to see the problem. Or is this my view of the world through my rose tinted spectacles again?

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Yes and you opened up a right old can of worms then too. Good to hear that you approve of both the advice and most importantly the product. I'm guessing your clutch issue is going to take a while longer to get to the bottom of though. You say they are a good dealer, so I'm assuming (again) that you have confidence in them. Allow them to take it out and locate the problem. If they are good and know what they are doing, then once out it should be easy for them to see the problem. Or is this my view of the world through my rose tinted spectacles again?

Ha Ha, yes that one did get a little bit out of hand. I watched that one escalate from a harmless request for advice to world war three. As they say in gods county nowt queerer than folk!!!!!! Another phone call into the main dealer tomorrow, still using the gentle persuasion approach. (at the moment)

A

Anonymous

I'm more of a one for the assertive approach. A big believer that if you loose your temper, you loose the argument too. Stay calm, be polite, and make clear a precise statements. Intermittent faults by nature are difficult to detect. Request a car from them whilst a responsible person uses yours, until the fault manifests itself

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I'm more of a one for the assertive approach. A big believer that if you loose your temper, you loose the argument too. Stay calm, be polite, and make clear a precise statements. Intermittent faults by nature are difficult to detect. Request a car from them whilst a responsible person uses yours, until the fault manifests itself
Spot on there Ron keep calm and state the facts but let them know that you are not happy, as you say once you have lost it and seen the red mist you are on a looser. As I said before they have been brilliant up to press, we have had a courtesy RCZ off them for a week now, so cant really ask for more. Had another chat with them today, and it is looking hopeful. Cheers Dave :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

A

Anonymous

there was a problem of clutch noise on the early 2010 rcz, these were sorted under warranty and involved a slave cylinder fitting inline on the hydrolic pipe. to replicate the noise, put clutch down and rev to 2000 rpm.
just a thought.had mine done under warranty. :wave:

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that, still battling with them on this one, now dealing direct with Peugeot Customer Services :helpme:

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have a 2012 (61) and have witnessed exactly same issue, only when reversing up a incline onto the drive. Going forward seems fine.

You manage to get any resolve to your issue?

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

I had exactly the same problem.. the pressure plate in the clutch has a hole the size of a ten pence coin in it.. mine went to peugeot UK then onto France hq.. it's a production fault.. I.e it is somehow manufactured. Hope this helps. Advice is get it sorted as it gets worse.. robins day in stockport know all about the problem, so I to them.

A

Anonymous

Yes.. I had to agree to pay for the removal of the engine, if it was a manufacturing problem they had 're pay me, it was a chance but it turned out well. I also had peugeot accusing my driving style why the problem had occurred, being in my forties and smoking round Tesco s car park not applicable I knew it wasn't the case. Stick to your guns and kick up a stink by going into it local dealer.

A

Anonymous

I've just read up the list of messages and it made me laugh, I had exactly the same experience, staff taking the car out and finding no problem, I'm sure they do this to make you question your driving style, I ended up taking a day off work and taking 2 members of staff with me, what you need to do is shout the showroom down as I had to do, purely from frustration, my advice is, softly softly doesn't work

renegade79

Reaction score
neilkirman said:
I've just read up the list of messages and it made me laugh, I had exactly the same experience, staff taking the car out and finding no problem, I'm sure they do this to make you question your driving style, I ended up taking a day off work and taking 2 members of staff with me, what you need to do is shout the showroom down as I had to do, purely from frustration, my advice is, softly softly doesn't work

I agree completely! Nobody will ever listen to a softly softly approach, shout roar and scream and I guarantee you something will be done about it. If you don't make yourself heard or noticed then they will try and fob you off with any lame old excuse!

A

Anonymous

I disagree totally. Firm but reasoned is the correct approach.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

My 2010 200bhp squeals when pulling away on a incline start sometimes can't aways get it to do it and sometimes it will be fine for a week then other times it's doing it all day ..... Does this need a new clutch then ???

A

Anonymous

I've have this now and again pulling away and reversing in first gear , I've been told it's cluch plate resonance usual happens in cold damp weather , it doesn't have any detrimental affect on the clutch just a very anoying sound ,, I've read about other Marques ur Audi bmw haveing clutch plate resonance as well