What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

No electrical power AT ALL??!!

jonolarge

Reaction score
Hi Club Z. I'm looking to buy my first petrol Peugeot down here in Oz, a 2014 200HP RCZ, that has been stored for almost a year by the current owner. The seller told me the battery was completely dead, so when I went to take a closer look today, I took my trusty Genius GB40, which kicked the car into life, and the engine started first time. NICE. :) Unfortunately, the seller turned the ignition off after about a minute, and then we couldn't get any electrical response throughout the car, even though the GB40 booster was still connected. Dead battery, blown fuse, or worse?? Any suggestions please? I dont want to walk away from the car, if its a simple fix. Many thanks in advance, Jono

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
It may well be something simple, but as a long time Peugeot licker and having read things on the internet and heard from mechanics - I'd absolutely, positively never jump start a modern one. Just disconnecting/reconnecting the battery in a slightly less than standard manner (or even if the car is having a bad day) can cause all sorts of exciting* things to happen.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The RCZ is renowned for getting up to all kinds of mischief when presented with a duff battery.

If possible, I would try sticking a known good battery in the thing, try firing it up, take it for a run if it works, turn it off & back on again.

Look for any stored errors or any that flash up. There is every chance that all the problems may well be associated with the battery, but if you don’t get anywhere with a confirmed good one, I would be a little worried that the owner may not be telling the entire truth about why it hasn’t been used for such a long time.

jonolarge

Reaction score
Thank you both for your replies. I will go back today and try both of your suggestions.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
All PSA vehicles in the last twenty years are renowned for getting up to all kinds of mischief when presented with a duff battery.

Correct.

406s like to fib about ABS faults for example.

jonolarge

Reaction score
Gents, Limited success. I tried a brand new battery from Peugeot. Gained dashboard lights, but only a single click sound when I turned the key. I tried to bump it a couple of times but the car wouldn’t fire up. Given the car did start the first time I viewed it, do you think the immobiliser may now be the problem? Please let me know your thoughts when you can. Cheers in advance again. Jono.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You could try a BSI Reset. Some have found this to help in various situations, not sure if this is one of them though.

If you want to try a BSI reset :-

Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
remove key open & close door test central locking system
Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

Don’t know if it will help but I suppose it’s worth a try if everything else has failed. :eusa-think: