What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

No compression in one cylinder

Baz 200 rcz

Reaction score
It has only recently become a Peugeot dealership, it was a Vauxhall dealership prior to that and now does both. Doesn’t excuse it though! If you want to become a Peugeot dealer as well, surely you get all the kit and know how before starting!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sounds very familiar.

Evans Halshaw Wakefield had a dedicated Peugeot dealership, they also had a Vauxhall dealership.
They have closed the Peugeot premises, and made the other one half & half.’

I have been very frustrated with this dealership ever since this move. :thumbdown:

Baz 200 rcz

Reaction score
So, some good news after 5 weeks they have finally eliminated carbon build up. Their diagnosis? A new engine!! 8 grand! Now waiting for the warranty company to either ok it, or spend another 5 weeks looking for a reason not to cover it! I’m just absolutely astounded by the whole thing. Less than 50k on the clock. The car is probably only worth 8 grand. If this had happened 1 month later I would have been writing off the car and all I paid for it. No way I could of stomached the cost of a new engine.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Have they given you an explanation of what the problem is and why it’s a whole new motor?
For it to want a new motor I would have thought it must be something to do with the bottom end but not heard of any problems like that, I know there have been a few having to replace the cylinder head which is around a 4K-5K touch.
Hope they don’t keep messing you about and get it sorted ASAP.

Baz 200 rcz

Reaction score
Thank you. Yes it is bottom end. Apparently they put a liquid wd40 type stuff into each cylinder. In 3 of them it stayed, in one it just disappeared.

tianorth

Reaction score
If it is just 1 cylinder why can it not be bored oversize and fitted with oversize piston and rings?

Stevens1990

Reaction score
I know this threads old but I'm having the same problem, my rcz has only covered 43k and there is no compression in cylinder 4. The exact same as above, no warning just an engine light and car in limp mode. I don't have any cover as this was a private sale 2 months ago, stupid move by me I know! Is there anything I can get checked over? Don't really want to be paying for a new engine!?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
This is only the second time I’ve seen this problem posted, obviously you’ve read the post above, but what I’m wondering is if the lack of compression is down to gummed up intake valves not seating correctly, I’m no master technician so don’t quote me on that.
Obviously the cars been running well up to this point? How were you driving it when the fault occurred? Just regular driving or giving it some stick?

Pedro

Reaction score
Compression test on all 4 cylinders to check if its piston rings causing the issues you can buy a tester & check them yourself its not rocket science the only other tell tale signs are engine burning oil & soot in the tailpipe & check for blue smoke on a cold start up ?

Ian J.

Reaction score
I have lost all faith and ready to go to war if they try charging me 20 plus hours of labour for it. They are saying now that they haven’t set any time aside until Friday to carry on working on it and will probably start checking the bottom end!! I asked if they had even removed the valves yet, to which they replied no but that might be the next job!! I assumed that taking it to a Peugeot dealership would be best, but I have certainly learnt my lesson.
Which dealer ? So we can all avoid .

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
Another one joining the 'no compression in cylinder 4' club :(
Does anyone know if the inlet valve for cylinder 4 is visible once the manifold is removed? If not the cylinder head will be coming off (at an astronomical cost if the underlying reason for the lack of compression is not covered by warranty).

Pedro

Reaction score
Remove plugs take off the manifold you should be able to get the valve sets to reveal by turning the crank over

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
A little update - not a lot considering the amount of time they've had my car.... I have 'significant carbon build up on my valves' but it looks like the lack of compression is down to a cracked exhaust valve (cylinder 4). Cylinder head not yet been off! Dealer putting together a claim pack showing the exhaust valve, but I have a horrible feeling that if the technician comes out that they will put the root cause as the carbon build up.

If this is something that occurs in this type of engine, should there not be something in the service schedule that looks at this and suggests cylinder valves should be inspected / cleaned periodically? I would have thought that prevention would be better than where I am currently.

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
In direct injection Engines its recommended you have the Carbon build up in the Valve chambers removed by "Walnut Blasting" at around 60.000 Klms or which ever is needed sooner due to running issues

NATSPLATNAT

Reaction score
Car still in .... but the end is in sight. Warranty covering the works :) will post details when I have time :)

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
A owner recently posted some photos on one of the FB groups of before and after walnut blasting it were a DIY job with his mate and just shows what a difference it makes 👍9212D99D-C008-4C71-9B8F-846D02E68037.jpegC7F5B5D9-D5C9-4E39-916B-3EB27D0109FE.jpeg

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
If I'd kept my RCZ I was planning on having a walnut blast done. Apparently the local MINI dealer did a decent job of it. I think at the time I was quoted around £300/£350.

Our local Peugeot dealer, who has subsequently lost the franchise was rather useless. Ok for ordering parts, 99% of the time.