What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

NG4 SAT NAV POST CODE ADVICE

A

Anonymous

I've been looking through some threads regarding the NG4 sat nav, and one or two threads claim that the NG4 only allows up to 5 digits when doing a post code search ?
Is this correct, because if so then the software must be very very old. :thumbdown:

I know you could punch in the 5 digits then chose your street from the list, but what if you only have a house/building name or number but not the name of the street or road.

Which street or road would you then select from the list ?

Peugeot state that not all services will be available in the UK, fair enough, but come on this cannot also include a full UK postcode search ?

For such a new & expensive sat nav/media center this surely cannot be correct !

Is this only happening because the user is putting in a space between the digits ? :eusa-think:

I have a TomTom which allows a full postcode search, and that is over 8 years old , and it can also find an address in France without any probs, afterall it's only one more digit on the postcode for a full UK search, so why cannot French software do a full UK search ?

There are issues with the speed camera locations, which have been explained, but hopefully the mapping and searching side of things are not an issue too ! :roll:

I really really hope i'm wrong here or there is at least a way around this .

Even the cheapest sat nav in Halfords, at £60 uses a full UK search index.

A

Anonymous

The threads that you have read are in fact correct. You can only enter say PE6 7 for PE6 7TH for example. It is not value for money nor is it much good. Even when you choose a POI it announces your arrival incorrectly were as a TomTom would guide you to the door! Plus of course the updates cost more per year than a TomTom would to buy new. On the plus side it looks far sexier than a TomTom stuck to your windscreen

A

Anonymous

Hi jactac I'm afraid you are right about the postcodes in the NG4, they do only accept 5 digits. It can be annoying at times & alternatives have to be quickly figured out. I have a Merc E-Class that will be 7 years old in July & the Command System in that is the same, only 5 digites, so I think you are right about it being dated.

However, I completely agree, it is supremely sexier than a Tom Tom!

A

Anonymous

The software and unit are not dated, the NG4 system was only launched in mid 2009. The unit itself is made by harman becker (may be you have heard of them they are also harmon kardon, jbl, infinity, mark levinson and others) .They provide oem sat nav systems to many manufacturers such as merc,lexus,toyota etc (which by all accounts are exactly the same as the operation in the pug versions) and the mapping is by Navtec.

Dealers have asked load of times why the system only takes a 5 digit input.....nearest I ever got to an answer was that the UK is a pain in the ass as it uses an alpha numeric system and should use a 5 digit number system like 99% of the rest of the world does hence we get a 5 digit input as we are the minority market.

That said most tom toms wont naviagte you around the whole of northern europe, have voice recognition and comand, play dvds,play mp3s from an Sd card or memory stick, allow you to rip something like 100+ cd's into the hard drive creating your own in car "jukebox" , have a choice of blue tooth or fully integrated internal phone, display the front and rear parking sensor warnings on screen with coloured distance bandings, look totally cool on your dash.....

In 10 years of working with Peugeot they have never had a sat nav system with full uk postcode input.

regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

Good valid point i guess, it is NOT just a sat nav.

My old TomTom was fantastic, door to door without any problems at all, then recently i was given a Garmin and to be honest not a patch on the TomTom, in fact it had difficulties finding Marcus's dealership in Milton Keynes, at one point it could'nt even find Milton Keynes never mind the dealership :lol:
Like the NG4 it only allows a 5 digit search.

Will the NG4 only allow Peugeot updates ?
For example i know that you can download programmes off the net, for free, that will allow you to install say TomTom software onto a Garmin.

A friend of mine had a Pronav system that he accidentally corrupted the software on whilst updating his maps, basicaly all it would do was turn on and off, so he had someone to wipe it clean and then installed TomTom software and maps. Apparantly it works fine ?

I dont think it's as simple as just putting a few files on an sd card though, you have to know what to look for on the net.

If i'm totaly honest though, it's a lot of money to risk by playing around with the original programming and software, as Marcus rightly points out, the NG4 does far far more than what a basic sat nav would do.

Best leave well alone and enjoy it's other feature's, and keep the TomTom/Garmin as a backup in the glove compartment. :thumbup: