What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newby with a GT HDI .. maybe wheel swap?

AndyT

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2013 GT HDI mostly for my wife as she loves the looks..

1000002284.png

I'm not sure about the 19" wheels though, it does seem to make the ride quite hard, I would be interested to hear from anyone who would be interested in swapping for a set of 18" with decent tyres, mine would need a bit of a refurb as there's some dark areas under the lacquer and a few scuffs

AndyT

Reaction score
I have recently bought a 2013 GT HDI mostly for my wife as she loves the looks..

View attachment 14502

I'm not sure about the 19" wheels though, it does seem to make the ride quite hard, I would be interested to hear from anyone who would be interested in swapping for a set of 18" with decent tyres, mine would need a bit of a refurb as there's some dark areas under the lacquer and a few scuffs
...and btw, hello everyone.. where's my manners🙄 I like the look of those 19" wheels just not the ride... Thoughts?

lfe

Reaction score
The difference will be small using 18 instead of 19.
The suspension will continue to be hard, it is a sports car !
In addition, driving in curves will worsen a bit.

AndyT

Reaction score
I appreciate that it's a sports car and it will be a firm ride, our previous Mercedes convertible was the same with it's 19's and 18's helped a bit, perhaps some new tyres would help, any views on tyres?

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Can't comment on the rcz but I bought a 1993 Merc sl500 some years back. It came on 18" AMG wheels. It was horrid. Tramlined, jiggly, nothing to recommend other than looks. Swapped them to 17s and the car was transformed.

Pedro

Reaction score
The suspension is the culprit but its a built in design feature nothing to do with wheels or tires these cars have a very low gravity point for a specific reason they are meant to have superior traction control to help with cornering at speeds suited to the width of body & driveability I don't know about a diesel but my 200 & The R will corner at frightening speeds because they can handle the force of the power applied when desired

lfe

Reaction score
And new shock absorbers can improve comfort by reducing the amplitude of the oscillation and also improve handling.
Cars after 10 years usually have quite worn out shock absorbers.

AndyT

Reaction score
That's a good shout on the shocks, it might be worth throwing new pair on the rear as they will be cheaper than the front and closer to where you are sitting, any recommendations on good shocks that give a more compliant ride?

Lanciaman

Reaction score
Without wishing to be contrary, I disagree with the comment about nothing to do with wheels and tyres and low centre of gravity. Put on 18s and your tyre sidewall will be taller and more compliant and reduce the harshness. Obviously it is designed with handling over comfort but it's the tyres and suspension that combine to give the ride. Rubber band tyres will usually result in a jiggly ride. I've had a few cars with a low centre of gravity and harsh suspension wasn't a thing. My opinion and opinion only.

Pedro

Reaction score
Without wishing to be contrary, I disagree with the comment about nothing to do with wheels and tyres and low centre of gravity. Put on 18s and your tyre sidewall will be taller and more compliant and reduce the harshness. Obviously it is designed with handling over comfort but it's the tyres and suspension that combine to give the ride. Rubber band tyres will usually result in a jiggly ride. I've had a few cars with a low centre of gravity and harsh suspension wasn't a thing. My opinion and opinion

That's a good shout on the shocks, it might be worth throwing new pair on the rear as they will be cheaper than the front and closer to where you are sitting, any recommendations on good shocks that give a more compliant ride?
I think we all understand where your coming from unfortunately your between a rock & a hard place when your trying to find a balance for "softening the ride" I think you may find a difference in the cars handling if you tamper with its geometry but hey I may be completely wrong but if you find a solution let us all know maybe it will help from having our skeletons rattled every time we hit a bump Good Luck ;)