What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

TimH

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a TVR 1600M which is approaching its half century. I don't want to sell it, but I'd like a car I can use more often and that's suitable for the occasional longer trip. The RCZ really appeals for its style, economy and (relative to the TVR!) practicality, so I've joined the Forum to find out more about them..

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum hopefully you can find out all the information you need to send you to the right RCZ for you....
Happy hunting...

Ian J.

Reaction score
Welcome
What model are you looking at?

TimH

Reaction score
Nothing too exotic - I'd happily settle for the model with the 1.6 unit in 156bhp form. Ideally it would be in black, grey or blue and in GT spec.

Ian J.

Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd 156THP and although it's not rapid its quick enough for day to day and cruises quite happily at 70-80 on the motorway.
They are great looking cars but do have their issues with the 1.6 prince engine.If you are looking for reliability go for the diesel which is bulletproof.
I'm not saying the petrol is a dud but timing chains and fuel pumps are common issues even on fairly low miles. My current one had the timing chain done at 30k miles and I'm probably going to have a new clutch at 34k miles to get rid of an annoying squeal occasionally from stationary. Having said that my 1st one went to 85k with only one issue which peugeot fixed under warranty.
You are buying a piece of French art and they need to be looked after, more than compensated for in my view by the cheap purchase prices, best looking car for £10k on the planet.
No idea what I'm going to buy next but pretty sure I'm going have to fork out over £20k to get anything like as good.

TimH

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I wouldn't rule out diesel, but I've driven petrol-engined cars all my life so I naturally feel more familiar with them. It's useful to know what the potential problems are, though. The fact that you're on your 3rd indicates that the gain is worth the pain, and I can quite see why. The obvious alternative would be an Audi TT but I far prefer the design of the RCZ; plus, it's good to drive something a bit unusual. In that respect, at least, the RCZ and my old TVR would have something in common!

Ian J.

Reaction score
If they still made the RCZ I wouldn't be driving a 5 year old one now.
Ill really miss the car when I move onto something new in 12 months or so .
Don't think I could ever buy a TT because the RCZ is the car Audi should have made but they don't have the flair that the French have.
As long as you don't get too disappointed if you have to spend a few £ to keep them running you'll be very happy with it.
I still turn round and look at my car every time I walk away from it in a car park and I've driven RCZs for 6 of the last 10 years.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I would like to say that I have never in 35 years of driving had a diesel engine car and when I could not find the car with the spec I was looking for found what I was looking for but in a Hdi and wow what I had been missing... Now there's two RCZs in the garage and both Hdi as the pulling power is so much better than the 156 as did find them a little slower in the lower gears, and found that you have to really rev the 156 through the gears to get it wound up... But that might be just me.... Or maybe the 12 or so RCZs I when to see etc.
But each to there own..
All drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

TimH

Reaction score
Mission accomplished - it's a 2011model year 156THP in black. It had one owner from new until August when it was traded in at a Peugeot main dealer. The guy who bought it kept it just 3 months as he and his wife found it too difficult to get in and out of. It's covered just 33k miles and has a perfect service history. The only issues were one mark on the leather upholstery and a few minor scuffs on the wheels. The upholstery was expertly fixed for a very reasonable price by Leather Car Seat Repairs West Midlands and I plan to get the wheels refurb'd at Reinventing the Wheel in Tewksbury as it's close by. Roll on some decent weather...

Ian J.

Reaction score
Had my wheels powder coated black a couple of days after I bought mine as they were a bit scuffed. 8 months later and they are still unmarked like the rest of the car.
I wouldn't be fooled into thinking a low mileage car means fewer issues, its the luck of the draw with the 156 prince engine.
Enjoy the car for what it is , a piece of French art that will in a few years be as much a classic as your old TVR.