What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie hoping to join the club at some point

indoldn

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been looking for an RCZ for a few months and always wanted an R but a bit concern about potentially high maintenance costs especially with front discs.

Still swaying between an R or THP200. Missed out on a black Magnetic THP200 last month due to being overly cautious. Then missed out earlier this month of what looks to be a very well maintained R albeit high milage as was away on holiday.

Been enjoying reading the various posts and continuously browsing autotrader, ebay, facebook groups which annoys my wife ;-)

Hoping to join this club at some point :)

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, good luck in your search.
There is enough information around to help you find a good one.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome :greetings-wavingblue: suppose you can’t be too cautious :thumbup: good luck in your search I’m sure you’ll love whichever one you buy :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
:greetings-wavingblue: Welcome :text-welcomewave:

It’s good that you haven’t fallen into the trap of buying the first one you saw, they are such a good looking car, it’s easy to want the first one, and every subsequent one you see, but it’s prudent to be cautious as there are one or two lemons out there. Fortunately most are not, and providing you take the same precautions you would do for buying any second hand car you will do just fine.

Have a good read through the forum, most people with faults seem to gravitate towards us, which does make it seem that the RCZ is an awful car, but it’s just that you don’t get all the majority of owners coming on here and saying how well behaved their Z is. As a consequence of that, you can find out what to look for by reading these pages.

If possible, get a warranty, so if you are misfortunate to have any issues, you can relax knowing they’ll be taken care of with no further outlay.

There are some very cheap Z’s out there at the moment, Far too cheap for the car you are getting, so good luck hunting down your new ride, and don’t forget to let us know what you find, including the all important pictures :thumbup:

indoldn

Reaction score
Thanks all. @DKZ5745, agreed so wanted to buy the first one I saw, kind of still regretting missing out on the Magnetic THP200. But more gutted on missing out on another member's R which looked to be very well maintained and was reduced to sell the weekend I was away on 2 weeks holiday.

Very good point re people with issues gravitating towards this group to share their issues. I did question the reliability of the Z when I first started reading various posts.

Reading RCZ-R posts on his +125,000 miles with the RCZ R been very helpful especially as he drove it hard.

There has been several Rs for sale in the last couple of months. There is one that been on and off ebay a few times unsold. Low mileage, one owner and looks good on paper. Was keen but the owner was a bit dismissive of my questions. I probably asked too many questions :)

From reading the various posts my main thing at the moment is ideally the front brakes been recently refurbished or replaced. Noticed some people mentioned they've had their coil pack and high pressure fuel pump replaced. Those seem to be the most common ones. Need to check jacking points which I believe is common issue across the range.

Chatting to a couple of people of people at the moment who are selling their Rs. I really want one now but trying to take my time.

Thanks again everyone.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You can’t ask too many questions. If it seems like you have, then maybe the car isn’t the right one.

I drive mine hard, in my experience, the harder you drive a car, the better it runs, you just have to keep up with maintenance more. I have had less issues with my Z over the last 5 years (and that’s longer than I ever keep cars) than just about any other car I’ve had.

If I ever come to sell mine, the buyer can ask as many questions as they like.

Hope you have a bit of luck finding one soon :thumbup:

Flanners

Reaction score
The white R on Autotrader with 67K looked immaculate and was a 'bargain' for the price being asked after his reduction. I agree with the posts about research and not jumping in, but dithering around also loses the deal especially on a sought after colour/model like the R.

I was looking for another performance car but wanted something less mainstream and leftfield around 15-20K (was thinking of a Cayman S initially but looked at the engine horror stories and servicing cost and binned that idea). I did not have the RCZ or R on my list nor anything from VAG.

Saw a picture and mini review of one site and it reminded me I had seen them about but never really knew what they were. I spent the whole night into the early hours googling and researching and was thinking of the 200GT but then stumbled on the R reviews and info; that they had only made circa 300 R's for the UK market bespoke engineering by Peugeot Sport etc priced lower than I was thinking of spending.

When I saw a picture of the Morrocan Red R I was totally hooked I then watched the youtube reviews especially this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuUexzr ... =11&t=225s

I was literally yearning for one and started looking on eBay and Autotrader I found a red one on PH's classifieds the next day and rang the owner to be told he had several calls with viewings for the weekend (it was a Thursday); I said I was very interested and had the cash and wanted to view.....left it with him. Paced round the house for an hour the phone went and I was on the LNER train to Lincolnshire the next morning from Kings Cross. Barring obvious issues at the viewing (I had already bought the insurance before arriving or even viewing) I 'knew' it would be a good one from the pictures, checks and talking to the owner on the phone; who had purchased it used from a main dealer 1500miles before, it also had 18months + Peugeot Warranty (fortunately as the fuel pump went 800miles after purchase so that was replaced FOC, I've now done 1K miles).

The only issue I was not aware of was the 380mm discs and the Alcon brakes only supplied via Peugeot and the expense of replacement, having a bespoke model with specific dampers, wheels, Torsen, engine mods etc is a 'risk' as parts will always be expensive but to me that was/is part of the attraction of ownership as well.

I am glad I bought the car as I love it, it is a very special car, the in-gear acceleration, handling and grip is very very impressive; I am glad I did not deliberate or faff about as I would not have got the colour, price and mileage I wanted. Good luck there has been a few on the market each week, mostly white and a couple of greys....there is a lovely red one on the 'bay at the moment (owner is a member on here).

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Flanners said:
The white R on Autotrader with 67K looked immaculate and was a 'bargain' for the price being asked after his reduction. I agree with the posts about research and not jumping in, but dithering around also loses the deal especially on a sought after colour/model like the R.

I completely agree with this. As long as everything seems right just do it.
I'd organised to view 3 GT86s in one day (lots of travelling but I wanted one)

After some toing and froing over price (mainly the trade in value of my RCZ) I bought the 3rd one and drove it home.

indoldn

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it was just a unlucky timing for me with the white R. I did consider it when it was first advertised but didn't have the time to follow it up due to work and busy packing for first family holiday abroad.

If I was in the country at the time I would have bought it. We flew out Sat night and if I remembered correctly it was further reduced on the Sunday. It was certainly a bargain as looked immaculate and very well maintained. If we were in Europe I would have probably try to find cheap flight back, bought the car and flew out again.

I knew I had no chance but ended up emailing him. He actually sent me a reply on Fri to say it was still available and asked me when I would be back. I knew there was no way it would still be available a week later. In the off chance that it was still available I told my wife I might be buying a car the Saturday after we got back. Considering we have two young children and we were scheduled to arrive in the UK Fri at 10pm after 20+ hours of travelling she was not pleased to say the least ;-)

Originally I was after a black one but colour is not a deal breaker for me. I am looking at a couple at the moment but need to review my finances as might have been a little bit too optimistic. I will definitely get one it's just may now be later then I would have liked.

indoldn

Reaction score
Just a quick note to say finally got myself a Z. Not an R but happy with it. Having issue with the Sat Nav but another member has forwarded me a link for a potential fix. Just need to find the time to try to do it. Have not had much time to enjoy it but definitely love it. It was definitely heart over head when buying it, probably should have done more thorough checks etc but fingers crossed won't have too much issue with it.

Attachments

• RCZ magnetic post.jpg
    RCZ magnetic post.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 18

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
That looks like a stunning RCZ enjoy 👍

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum and nice looking RCZ you have got yourself there..
What is your location as there is many meetings over the year and some mini meets in some areas where there are a few people who like to meet up and go for a small drive and a bite to eat.... So..
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

tianorth

Reaction score
The Magnetic has the RT6 system and I've written a guide on updating it (firmware and maps)

Click link here :-

I also have a Magnetic!