What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New tyres required

simonpople

Reaction score
I need to replace my tyres in the next month with only 12,000 miles on the clock. No I haven't been cornering too fast either!
Front tyres are worn and one of the back tyres has a screw in it. I am looking for anything other than Continental's preferably something a bit more longer lasting.
I've been told that Continental's are noisy and that Michelin's would be quieter. Any feedback welcome. Happy New Year to all.

A

Anonymous

simonpople said:
I need to replace my tyres in the next month with only 12,000 miles on the clock. No I haven't been cornering too fast either!
Front tyres are worn and one of the back tyres has a screw in it. I am looking for anything other than Continental's preferably something a bit more longer lasting.
I've been told that Continental's are noisy and that Michelin's would be quieter. Any feedback welcome. Happy New Year to all.

Michelins are the most expensive of all tyres for the rcz and all the tyres available are summer tyres ie soft but 12000 miles is not a lot is yours a diesel?? the net is full of special offers from site to site But i would have a look at Yokohama advance sport and i got 18000 miles out of them with some hard cornering involved ;) and i have just notice if you drop the profil down from 40 to 35 the price drops by a £100 i know what profile i will be fitting then when it come to replacing tyres

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Just for reference, Michelin do do a winter tyre that will fit RCZ - certainly the 19" & probably the 18". This is the Alpin Pilot PA3 series.

As you say, possibly not the cheapest and there are other options but they are available.

A

Anonymous

When I'm due to change, I'm going to change to 35s .... will get four of them for the price of two 40s. Got 35s on just now as winters and I like the handling of them.

A

Anonymous

Ok. I am confused along with the fact that my memory is dreadful. What profile are my tyres on my bog standard 19" wheels ? I thought 35 but now no longer sure if it is 35 or 40. Whilst I'm at it to aid my memory what does 35 mean and what does it represent? I'm guessing millimetres and the depth of the side wall am I on the right track ?

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Ok. I am confused along with the fact that my memory is dreadful. What profile are my tyres on my bog standard 19" wheels ? I thought 35 but now no longer sure if it is 35 or 40. Whilst I'm at it to aid my memory what does 35 mean and what does it represent? I'm guessing millimetres and the depth of the side wall am I on the right track ?

yes depth of sidewall OEM's ARE OF A 40 profile and rare and expensive "£280.....+++ ie 235/40/19 on the other hand 235/35/19 are available for£180-£200 and the physical difference is minimum

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Remember that the '35' / '40' numbers refer to the sidewall height as a percentage of the tread width.

This means that the actual side wall height will also depend on the tread width.

For example, a '40' on a width of 165 mm will be smaller in height than a '40' on a width of 235 mm (RCZ width).

I.e. 40% of 165 (66mm) is smaller than 40% of 235 (94mm)

In the example quoted above, the difference in side wall height would be about 12mm or 25mm (1") on overall notional wheel diameter. This would be going the right way because the speedo would over read, i.e. you would be travelling at a speed less than that indicated. Theoretical top speed would also be reduced, although this probably wouldn't matter much in a real world scenario.

I once did something similar on a 306 gti-6 ( 55 profile down to 50). In this case the ride was better.

As always, it would be wise to consult your insurer before you change the spec. and modify you policy, iff appropriate, just to be on the safe side.

A

Anonymous

Mine are continental 235/45/R18, and my rear tyres are "2-3mm" according to my service a few weeks ago.
I am not a 'petrol head' so my instinct is to go for Peugeot supplied and fitted tyres, at around £250 each fitted.
Am I mad not to change brand/spec/fitter??
Thanks

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've just done 10,000 miles and at my recent service my tread depths were 6 and 5mm all round. Me thinks people have been driving their cars a little bit hard :eusa-think: :D

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I've just done 10,000 miles and at my recent service my tread depths were 6 and 5mm all round. Me thinks people have been driving their cars a little bit hard :eusa-think: :D

that may true but a diesel rcz is heavier at the front so it will use tyres more than the lighter engined petrol version
found tyres £219 cheapest i have seen conti/sport3 raised rib £219 fitted MYTYRES.CO.CO.UK

A

Anonymous

my hdi did 20,000 on first front tyres-rear ones should last another 3,000. sticking with the original contis.