What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New to Peugeot, not new to cars

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to get an RCZ and doing my due diligence trying to absorb all the info about common issues and what to look for etc.

There is a white 2012 that I am looking at (with the 1.6T engine) and lets just say it is an interesting case, I was 50/50 before but after learning more and more about it, there are just too many red flags, at least for me.

So I'm asking the Peugeot experts here if they agree that its too risky.

The situation is this:

1 - Engine had oil leak (apparently) resulting in engine failure/seizure when it ran dry
2 - A replacement secondhand engine was sourced and put in (not by Peugeot shop, by an independent workshop)
3 - Car now apparently runs as before
4 - There are NO service records (asked for service book, doesn't have)
5 - In photos, I can see the service indicator alert is on, asked about it, he apparently doesn't know what it is but its always there lol
6 - Total mileage on odometer is over 100,000km
7 - From photos the bodywork appears straight

In my view, with no service records and a destroyed engine, seems like the guy didn't look after it and paid the price. Either way, seems like it would be a big risk to get it.

Due to its location, I can't get to it just for a look in person, I think I have enough information to rule it out.

Does anyone have any opinions on this situation or anything to add that I haven't considered? Cheers and looking forward to joining the RCZ club soon!

lfe

Reaction score
Here there are companies that offer services to examine cars wherever the car is located, perhaps there is one in your country.

apple3337

Reaction score
I'm from Melbourne too. Are you looking for a manual? The auto has a heavily de-tuned engine. There aren't any in Victoria in manual at the moment. You might have to be patient. Definitely get a pre purchsae inspection done before buying one. Justin Fisher automotive would be a good place to start for that. He just does Pugs.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
I'm from Melbourne too. Are you looking for a manual? The auto has a heavily de-tuned engine. There aren't any in Victoria in manual at the moment. You might have to be patient. Definitely get a pre purchsae inspection done before buying one. Justin Fisher automotive would be a good place to start for that. He just does Pugs.
Hey thanks for that, we're actually looking for an auto as its for my wife and daughter to drive. They don't drive manual and also, we don't need the performance models, I'm the only one in the family with an unhealthy obsession with speed and power lol.

The market seems to be a bit out of touch though with reality, as all of the ones I see for sale are above the Redbook valuation range, which we know is based on cars that have actually sold so it's not guesswork.

And a few sellers I've spoken to don't even have service records, nothing at all, so it's a complete guess what the condition is.

The only way I'd buy a car with no service history is if I did a pre-purchase inspection, and even then, I'd expect at least $2k off the market valuation.

So for this one I asked about, I was hoping that maybe I'd get some feedback to the contrary but since I haven't, I've made up my mind now that I won't be getting it, there are just too many red flags and unknowns to proceed.

RCZ-mad

Reaction score
I ended up getting a pre-purchase inspection on the car in question just to confirm my own suspicions.

The guy happily took it in for the inspection but wasn't very happy once it came out as I told him its not much better than a statutory write-off.

The report would give any mechanic nightmares and my suspicions were vindicated, it was worth the experience despite costing a few hundred dollars.

The report summary stated:

Purchase Recommendation Rating : Red-Not Recommended
VEHICLE HAS SERIOUS ISSUES WITH OIL LEAKS FROM MULTIPLE SOURCES SUCH AS REAR OF ENGINE AND TURBO, ALSO BATTERY FAILED LOAD TEST, THERE IS OIL BURNING OFF EXHAUST, VEHICLE APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN RE-SPRAYED AND REPAIRED AT VARIOUS STAGES AND TO AN EXTREMELY POOR STANDARD, THERE ARE RUNS IN THE PAINT WORK AND SIGNIFICANT BLEMISHES IN THE PAINTWORK ARE CLEARLY VISIBLE.​