What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New RCZ owner, new experiences, lots of WAFFLE!!!

ianGT156

Reaction score
I've now had my Mercury Grey 156 GT for 15 days.

My commute is a 41 mile round trip, 96% of it on the A68 in County Durham.

I've done 527 miles so far. Apart from the commute they have mostly been on Durham Dales roads, twisty, up and down a lot and loved by the fair weather two wheelers at weekends.

I've slowed down a bit since my previous Hyundai i10 1.2, rather bizarrely perhaps. I thrashed the arse off that little car, it responded so well at 4500-5500 rpm. I averaged about 40 mpg in it. I wore out it's front tyres every 7000 miles or so. It gripped well and had such great feedback through the steering that I would slide it, in a controlled manner, in and out of bends all the time.

Overtaking though was hard work, very hard work. Building up speed all the time prior to the overtake and making a last split second yes/no decision. I pissed off a lot of people when they saw a Dinky car overtaking them. Some of course had to overtake me back and slow down in front of me. 'kin tossers.

I'm of the age where I was beginning to think that this could be the last chance to buy a decent nice fast car before I be sensible again and drive something cheap 'n' cheerful to reflect my diminished income.

In 1985 I bought a brand new 1.6 205 GTi, in graphite, C197XVR. It was before the 1.9 was introduced. Us early adopters used to flash headlights at each other. In 1986 I got nicked for speeding on the A74 in Scotland when it was just a dual carriageway. I was clocked at 111 mph by a Police Granada that took 8 miles to catch up with me. I didn't know it was there, it was a Coach driver doing about 50 in front in the outside lane that slowed me down. I was banned for three months by a Sheriff who clearly hated Englishmen, nothing new there then. That Scottish legal system is perverse, one man's decision. At least in 1997 it took three English magistrates to ban me for two weeks for doing 103 in Norfolk, in a Citroen Xantia TD. My licence has now been clean for twenty years.

Things are a bit different for now. I'm just checking my MPG and averaging 38/40 mpg at the moment, I'll probably end up averaging about 35. At the moment I only overtake when I get pissed off at snails, trucks and two/three car nose-to-tail convoys. I enjoy my commute and want the journey to last. I'd love an excuse to keep on driving all the way to Edinburgh.

I must now be exuding pheromones or something because I seem to be attracting drivers who feel the need to catch up with me and want to race. Even a bloke at work who normally does 60 on a dual carriageway in his Passat decided he had to overtake me at 90+. He didn't know it was me and my new car. He never used to bother when I passed him in the i10.

Well back to the RCZ. I'm very impatient and bought the first one I saw. I really wanted a 200 but the 156 was closer to home. I persuaded the Mrs and Gizmo the Border Terrier to come along to look at them. I think I must have been an unusual test driver, taking the wife and a dog along, just the three of us. The salesman said, "be back in 15 minutes or so, take your time". Of course, comparing 156bhp to the 82ish bhp of the i10 was stupid but I fell for it. Was it really worth driving another 15 miles to look at the Blue 200? I told myself that the grey was more subtle than the blue and would attract less attention from the low life and paint scratchers. I love that blue though.

It was this pic on honestjohn.co.uk that I showed to the wife and said, "this is my midlife crisis car". Bullshit really because i'd have to live to 112 to be midlife and I ain't got no crisis either, lol.

Well back to what I first meant to say ... new experiences. It's a long time since the 205 and the Citroen BX GTi that I also had.

I go upstairs when I get home just to look out of the window to stare and grin at my gorgeous car. She looks so much more beautiful than 99.9% of other cars. In this part of the world she is very rare too. I've seen just two others in fifteen days.

"Ooooh look, an Audi, how amazing is that?" Not at all. As common as squashed flies on my bonnet. Unlike the flies though, they all look the same, A1/2/3/4/6/8 coming towards you and they are nearly always black. I must see upwards of 100 per day on my commute. I never even considered buying such a commoner's car. Audis make BMWs look rare.

Some seventeen years ago I made a career decision to get a job I enjoyed and to forget how much it paid. I'd had sixteen years in IT contracting and was bored with it. Currently I work in private healthcare, I'm a support worker. I earn approximately 25% of what I earned in 1999. But ... I can still afford an RCZ ;O)

Desires: Remap. A decent Karcher.

These have been some of the reactions of my colleagues on seeing the car ..

"Whoever drives that can't afford to work here"
"Ian, you'll have to do loads of overtime to pay for that car" - the lady who does the rotas
"Wow!" - neighbour
"Ian, is that your snazzy car out there?"
"It's a great looking car. What is it?"
"Is that your midlife crisis car?" - answer "yes", see above
"It looks really nice" - I reply, "thanks" or "I think so too"
"What size engine has it got?"
"Is that Audi yours?" - gggrrrrrrrr
"It's a bit different to your last car"
"How could you afford that?" - nurse who paid £15k for a GS3, humble spec
"It looks nice mind"

Interestingly, not a single person has asked me what she cost - £9960, 156 GT, 2013, 13 plate, 32,220 miles. An average price I'd say. It's not a secret, neither is my plate in waiting, RCZ 2820, an owl perhaps?

I've yet to name her. My totally disrespectful wife, who does however love the car too, suggested "Arsey". I grinned but couldn't possibly agree.

If you got this far, you're very waffle tolerant. thanks for reading ;O)

Ian :beer:

edited. I wrote the wrong price. It was £9960, not £10960.

Attachments

• (c) honestjohn.jpg
    (c) honestjohn.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 6,679
  • DSCF5559_edited-compressed.jpg
    DSCF5559_edited-compressed.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 6,674

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Ian, excellent waffle; enjoyed it.
I'm into verbiage myself and have to restrain myself from rambling on and on with endless diatribes.
Great that the RCZ is meeting expectations.
I get very silly comments about my Zero from even those with a modicum of car knowledge; many insisting it is a Morgan and at least one local asking after the Ferrari.
It would be flattering if I didn't know it was based on ignorance, however well meant.
Enjoy your new toy; looking forward to joining the believers! :thumbup:
Keep Waffling! :clap:

nicpy

Reaction score
An interesting and amusing write up Ian.............me thinks you have missed your vocation! :clap: :clap:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm sure I can vouch for other Z owners when I say we're all going through the same things, stupid drivers wanting to race or slow you down the staring out of the window ogling at those beautiful curves (the car I mean) colleagues asking silly questions, Parking at the far end of any car park.

Love the waffle! :thumbup: get to one of our meets there's more Z waffle than you could handle :lol:

ianGT156

Reaction score
Thanks stewart for the comment and info about the car's mystique. I'm glad that somebody enjoyed my waffle. I will now go and look for your own "verbiage".

It's quite rarely that I post my "waffle" on different subjects on differing websites but when I do I go on and on and on...

It is nice to have a reply like yours that is more than just "lol".

This reference of "Zero" is new to me. Should I use "Zero" rather than "RCZ" in the future on here or to anybody who asks about the car?

I can waffle for England and thanks again for your comment ;O)

ianGT156

Reaction score
nicpy, many thanks!

I laughed at your comment.

I really appreciate that you found my post interesting and amusing. So I missed my vocation? Would that be the rare writer who compares a Hyundai i10 to an RCZ? I'm pretty sure I'm unique in that respect!

But seriously ... thank you :dance:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
ianGT156 said:
Thanks stewart for the comment and info about the car's mystique. I'm glad that somebody enjoyed my waffle. I will now go and look for your own "verbiage".

It's quite rarely that I post my "waffle" on different subjects on differing websites but when I do I go on and on and on...

It is nice to have a reply like yours that is more than just "lol".

This reference of "Zero" is new to me. Should I use "Zero" rather than "RCZ" in the future on here or to anybody who asks about the car?

I can waffle for England and thanks again for your comment ;O)

The Zero referenced is the crazy motor I need to flog for the cash to buy an RCZ.
Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10907

ianGT156

Reaction score
Hi neil,

Apologies in advance if this is a duplicate.

It's good to know that I'm not the only driver attracting plonkers. I am never ever a plonker myself. Never. Promise.

Those curves, oh those curves. I read somebody's comment on here about describing those curves that you see in your rear view mirrors as "hips". That is such a great observation!

I lived and worked in Brussels for 15 months in the 1990s. Belgian supermarkets have entire aisles dedicated to selling waffles. Thank gawd I didn't indulge or I would probably waffle even more than I do already.

I would love to go on a meet. North Yorkshire is just "down the road". My ancestral home is J19M6 in Cheshire and close to my sprogs. County Durham and Weardale are home sweet home.

I'm very curious, seriously. Do I need to describe myself as a "Z" owner to fellow addicts to be credible?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Z is fine Ian, RCZ is good too. You will enjoy the meets, not just as there are very knowledgeable owners there who will have a wealth of experience between them, but also as there are so many beautiful RCZ’s on view, all of which tend to have a few little differences/modifications, ideas for everyone to ponder.

Your car looks stunning by the way. :thumbup: :clap:

A

Anonymous

Looks great and you got it for a great price! I'm after a remap too.

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Hello Ian...

I too loved the waffle and echo the many replies you have had from fellow Z owners on the forum.

My first Z was the Dolphin blue GT200 if you look through the posts you will eventually find a pic of it ! and I loved every minute of owning it. I once was asked the question " what is it ?" it was a genuine - I haven't a clue what it is, question, although from a guy who looked like he had done a round with Mike Tyson and could barely stand up, miraculously managing not to spill a drop from his opened Special Brew. I replied - " a Ferrari " just because I wanted to. It was fully badged up as Peugeot - I was just enjoying the moment.

It's strange really - this RCZ ownership. I loved the car from when it was first released, but alas like many things, could not afford it. When the moment came I wasn't looking for a car, it couldn't have been more fate. In fact I had taken my son to Cheshire to look at a car, whilst I was bored waiting, I thought I'll have a little look what's on offer - then I saw it, in the corner of the showroom in the front window - gleaming shiny paintwork and lovely cream leather - WOW I thought, I've gotta sit in that and that was it, I was in heaven. But as soon as it began it was over, my lad shouting
" come on dad " we're off, so I left it.
Well that would have been the end of it, if my son hadn't of said to his mum " Dad nearly got a new car today " which she replied - " well why didn't he " !!!!! For as long as I ever live - I will NEVER understand women.
So, the next day I rang them and put a deposit down - the rest is history.

Now Ian although it's not hard and I don't really need an excuse - you got me waffling !!!

My old Z

My old R

My new R - on the left, the one on the right is Neil's Launch Edition Z.

and a not so typical picture of a typical meet !!!

:beer: welcome to the fun factory !!

ianGT156

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for their posts.

DKZ, I would love to go to a meet but I think I'd have to park my Z off site due to grubbiness.
Pleco, great photos, I love the drone ones especially. I want a drone, one that will follow you driving!
Scotty, I would appreciate any ideas that you have for a remap.
Stewart, is that a Caterham 7?

I got an email from regtransfers.co.uk today stating that I can now display my new plates.

"RCZ 2820" cost me £364.49. Two Eight Two Oh. Sounds like an owl perhaps?

I haven't photographed the new plates because the dead insects on her front look bloody awful. I've just bought lots of cleaning kit from amazon, including the "cheap" Kärcher K2 "Premium Full Control Car and Home Pressure Washer".

I have three consecutive days off work coming up. It will be my opportunity to really make a car of mine gleaming showroom clean. Back in 1985, in my 205GTi days, I don't think there were as many cleaning products as there are now.

A question for you all please. What do you think is the best way to keep the front of your car easy to clean from those hundreds of splattered insects that I gather in just one day? Setting up my existing Kärcher with hosepipe and electrical extension takes about 10 minutes before I even start using it. There must be an easier way, isn't there?

Regarding remapping that I want to do. I think I want an OBD solution. I really don't want extra cables under the bonnet and I am most definitely scared to death of doing this myself. Does anybody think that a DIY remap kit is any good? From what I've read, it is not a good idea. This company looks good http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/ but they charge a whopping great £349. That seems an awful lot for an hour or two of work without any new parts required.

I phoned Aviva today to change my reg. Amazingly they did it for free even though the only way to do it was by phone.

Anybody who has Aviva shares has me to thank, or be annoyed at. My greatest claim to fame was that I wrote all the programs that calculated just how many shares you got when they demutualised back in 1997. I also lived in Norwich at the time. Norwich is indeed "A Fine City". I lived in the "Murderers" for 15 months :beer:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Hola Ian

Quality-wise, it is a match (or better) for Caterham or Westfield.
It is a GBS (Great British Sportscars) Zero 175 Zetec, factory built to my spec.
http://www.greatbritishsportscars.co.uk/

Sometimes, clouds of insects sit lurking on Autovias (Motorways) and you get home with screen (except bit swept by wipers and washers) pebbledashed with dead'ns like a Garibaldi biscuit.
If I tackle it before the sun bakes the bu99ers on hard, I use a good old fashioned REAL sponge with a bucket of warm water with a few shots of Fairy.
I bet the "detailers" will say NO NO NO, but the 5008 is a bus and does not have dainty treatment.

So it was you that done me out of a handout from Norwich Union / Aviva.
I had one of those - if you are seriously ill and cannot work, you get a few bob to cover the mortgage - policies, and you said it was the wrong type so no perks.
And then, later, after all the dust had settled I found myself enroled in a pension scheme, which did not qualify as I joined after the demutualisation.
Just my luck!
So BOOO HOOO!

Incidentally, Snetterton was my "home circuit" and marshalled and raced there during the sixties.
Norwich Straight was the longest and fastest in the UK and parallel to the A11.
The petrol station on the A11, had one side of the pumps roped off, so that the public were filling one side whilst nutters like me in Formula Fords or Clubman's Formula topped up the other side; got some funny looks from regular motorists, I can tell you.
Sorry, starting to WAFFLE!

Stewart

P.S. I have WAFFLED on "Any Old Iron". If you or anybody wants more, say so, or say "shut up", but please let me know.

A

Anonymous

Hi thought I'd add a post regards the RCZ.
Have had mine since November 2015 and still get the same buzz from it now as I did back then.
Have had the usual comments like "hairdressers car" and "tarts car" which I take as a compliment as most blokes don't know how to day what they really feel, anyway don't knock it until you've tried it I say.
Only mods I've done with mine is add a drivers footrest, how can you be without one, had the brake calipers painted red and boosted the engine from 200bhp to 230bhp with an engine remap.
What gets me is how many other drivers in their 100 bhp Ford's, or similar snail paced cars sit up your backside thinking they're the new Lewis Hamilton, I mean the car looks alone especially if you've the 19" alloys would tell you it's not a gimmick.
Love taking a roundabout in 4th gear at about 30mph and then just accelerating gently and it's just, bye bye Ford's and other wanna-be's.
A lovely car to both own and drive, oh and btw, I'm also aged the wrong side of mid 50's.
Never grow old is my motto, and this little beauty certainly I'll never grow old of owning.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I get banter from the guys at work about my RCZ.
Yet on my shift​ there is a lad with an mx5, they're far gayer than rczs!

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
As for the insect problem if you give the front end (better still the entire car) a good coating of polish, followed by a couple of coats of a quality wax, the insects will wash off much easier. :thumbup:

frankvdb

Reaction score
I have written this before but only get silly jokes as response, but if you take some old tights and put them in a knot so that you have a firm grip and make that wet, all insects and tar will come off easily.

ianGT156

Reaction score
It has begun. I've spent about £220 on cleaning materials in the last 10 days.

I've visited North East Remaps in Cornsay Colliery to talk about a remap. The bloke I spoke to was very helpful and left me baffled on a few occasions. She's booked in for September 6th. It will take about 5 hours apparently. The first thing they'll do is put her on their rolling road to check what she can do pre-remap. That should be quite interesting. It will cost £350+ but will probably be more with a new air filter and some turbo wastegate valve (I might be totally wrong) or something or other. He said every car will be different and that the car should be as close to stock as possible. Straight after a service ideally, which she will be, more or less. It was 10 miles round trip to the remap place. The insect splatter was incredible. My car was two tone orange/mercury grey.

I did my car clean over two days. I can't pretend it was "detailing" because I didn't do any claying. I'm a bit frightened of it to be honest. I'll also take more time with iron spots. I used the Gtechniq W6 but had a slight problem. The product is like a gel, to cling on vertical surfaces. It says to leave on for 5-10 minutes but not to let it "dry on the surface". I thought it was drying to got it off but it wasn't on long enough to work on every spot I tried. I would estimate that she's got about 15 of these spots on the paintwork.

I made one happy mistake in my shopping. I bought Bilt Hamber Surfex HD thinking it was a snow foam. It turns out it's a degreaser and boy does it work. The dreaded insects fell off, the windscreen was gleaming and totally free of smudges, the alloys of my neighbours cars were shining again (well you have to practise somewhere). I mustn't forget to buy some snow foam and a proper foam dispenser. The one in the Karcher kit is crappily small.

I'm guessing the degreaser stripped off any wax which is really what I wanted. I jet washed for ages, degreased twice, shampooed, polished and waxed her. Just as i was applying the last of the wax, the heavens opened. Waiting for the car to dry was about two hours. I think the wax had cured by then, it was a bugger getting it off.

I am very pleased with my results, here are a few pics. The last one is "artistic", or call it a processing error ;)

Attachments

• DSC04906c.jpg
    DSC04906c.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 6,326
  • DSC04913c.jpg
    DSC04913c.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 6,326
  • DSC04927c.jpg
    DSC04927c.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 6,325
  • DSC04923c.jpg
    DSC04923c.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 6,325
  • DSC04911c.jpg
    DSC04911c.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 6,325

Nemi

Reaction score
That's a lot of money on cleaning materials :eusa-think:

ianGT156

Reaction score
One more. Sadly the background is awful but I love the double bubble view and the mirror finish of the door.

Attachments

• DSC04916_editedc.jpg
    DSC04916_editedc.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 6,321