What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New RCZ Owner From Ireland

tm2204

Reaction score
Hello,

Just this week purchased my first RCZ, a 1.6 THP (156) model having previously had the last (I've had 4) of my 406 Coupe's for 17 years.

Have had my eye on the RCZ for a while now and decided now was the time to make the jump for many reasons.

Got a good 'Covid-19' deal and I'm delighted with the car.

Couple of quick questions somebody might know offhand before I start delving too deeply into the forums:
- The oil I should be using (exact brand & type). I've heard 4.25L of 0w-30 or 5w-30 fully synth?
- Service interval 20k miles? Is an oil & filter change required mid service?
- Is there an external fuel filter that needs replacing at a predetermined service interval for my car?
- Is the timing chain issue confined to the 200bhp model or is the 156bhp model affected as well? I've heard the risk of developing a rattling/loose chain is greatly multiplied by not keeping the oil level fully topped up at all times?
- Do members here use Peugeot Planet (PP2000) software, or something else, to diagnose errors on the car?

Appreciate any advice and delighted to be part of this forum. I was an active member on the 406 Coupe Club for many a long year.

RCZ - 01.jpeg

Last edited:

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum and nice RCZ you have got yourself there is it black or brown and what's the milage..
156 and 200 have had a issue with the rattle of death but keep the oil topped up is the best way to help you....
When you can drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

tm2204

Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum and nice RCZ you have got yourself there is it black or brown and what's the milage..
156 and 200 have had a issue with the rattle of death but keep the oil topped up is the best way to help you....
When you can drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

She's Nera Black and the paint is in superb condition. I'm lucky... the previous owner looked after her well. 88,000 hpi verified miles 😃

I'll keep the oil topped up for sure as like you mention I've heard this helps stave off the timing chain issue.

Thanks for the reply 👍🏼

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Nice looking Motor :)
Peugeot recommend Total Quartz Ineo Low saps 3(important) & you can use the fully 0.30 but I use the 5.30 as it takes longer to deteriorate & if my Z had done high mileage that's what I would be still using today & depending on mileage changing it at around 5000 klm including the Filter will keep the engine in good shape mine is out at around 3.500-4000 & its only done 43.653 one thing to remember the Oil viscosity in these engines plays a very important part in their efficiency if its left in too long over a high mileage it can affect the overall performance & create issue connected with faults on other mechanical components
Fuel filter is not a issue as its a pick up strainer system in the Tank & unless you buy cheap fuel they don't normally cause any problems
You can download a full spec manual off the web mine cost £9.99 & it came fully loaded with all tech for Electrics & Mechanics
So happy motoring days down long winding roads !👍

tm2204

Reaction score
Nice looking Motor :)
Peugeot recommend Total Quartz Ineo Low saps 3(important) & you can use the fully 0.30 but I use the 5.30 as it takes longer to deteriorate & if my Z had done high mileage that's what I would be still using today & depending on mileage changing it at around 5000 klm including the Filter will keep the engine in good shape mine is out at around 3.500-4000 & its only done 43.653 one thing to remember the Oil viscosity in these engines plays a very important part in their efficiency if its left in too long over a high mileage it can affect the overall performance & create issue connected with faults on other mechanical components
Fuel filter is not a issue as its a pick up strainer system in the Tank & unless you buy cheap fuel they don't normally cause any problems
You can download a full spec manual off the web mine cost £9.99 & it came fully loaded with all tech for Electrics & Mechanics
So happy motoring days down long winding roads !👍

Cheers for the reply 👍🏼

Do most people change their oil that soon (5000 km)? I thought the new synthetic engine oils meant longer interval between oil changes?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there tm2204 and welcome to the forum👍, most things covered above, all petrol engines even R’s suffer from timing chain failures. I use Total ineo first and do low mileage anyway so it gets changed probably every 3-4K originally service intervals were 20k or every two years but this was changed to half that👍

tm2204

Reaction score
Hi there tm2204 and welcome to the forum👍, most things covered above, all petrol engines even R’s suffer from timing chain failures. I use Total ineo first and do low mileage anyway so it gets changed probably every 3-4K originally service intervals were 20k or every two years but this was changed to half that👍

Hi there & thanks for your reply... delighted to find another excellent car forum after my many years with the 406 Coupe Club 😀

Delighted with the condition of my car, it's been well looked after. She starts up from cold with not a sign of any chain rattle so just need to try keep it that way. I'll deffo go with the Total Quartz Ineo for oil changes and check weekly to make sure the oil is at the top of the dipstick 👍

I already have a dedicated laptop with Windows XP & Peugeot Planet 2000 (PP2000) installed which I've used for years to troubleshoot my 406 Coupe and do things like re-program keys, reset the steering wheel angle sensor after tracking, bleed the brakes using the ABS pump, etc: as well as the standard reading ECU's and resetting error codes. It has a section for the RCZ so recon I'll go exploring here to see if it can do all I need for my RCZ.

Good to be onboard here and as I gain knowledge with the car I'll pass it along 😀 Do you have a dedicated 'How To' section in the forums where people can upload PDF's or video's of completed jobs on the car? Didn't see one yet 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Cheers for the reply 👍🏼

Do most people change their oil that soon (5000 km)? I thought the new synthetic engine oils meant longer interval between oil changes?
Probably not but I'm not most people & I know for a fact a regular oil change outside of the recommended dealer service schedule will definitely prolong the life of the Engine & other consumables like the chain etc in my car plus when I bought it & after driving it home I gave it a full service & the difference was unbelievable even the difference in Engine performance changed once the "cooking oil" had been dropped out & the correct oil added which proved to me why these Engines need to be maintained to a high level

tm2204

Reaction score
Probably not but I'm not most people & I know for a fact a regular oil change outside of the recommended dealer service schedule will definitely prolong the life of the Engine & other consumables like the chain etc in my car plus when I bought it & after driving it home I gave it a full service & the difference was unbelievable even the difference in Engine performance changed once the "cooking oil" had been dropped out & the correct oil added which proved to me why these Engines need to be maintained to a high level

Plan on doing the same myself. I've ordered a full set of filters and Total Quartz Ineo oil so I'll get that done soon as they are delivered. Like yourself I prefer to do these when I buy a new car so I know they are done & done right with the correct materials 👍

Will follow on with coolant & brake fluid replacement. Do people change their manual transmission oil? I read the transmission is sealed & maintenance free. Is this correct?

Complete detailing is first up with wash, clay, compound, polish, wax, interior & leather treatment to be completed over next couple of days 😀

Pedro

Reaction score
Plan on doing the same myself. I've ordered a full set of filters and Total Quartz Ineo oil so I'll get that done soon as they are delivered. Like yourself I prefer to do these when I buy a new car so I know they are done & done right with the correct materials 👍

Will follow on with coolant & brake fluid replacement. Do people change their manual transmission oil? I read the transmission is sealed & maintenance free. Is this correct?

Complete detailing is first up with wash, clay, compound, polish, wax, interior & leather treatment to be completed over next couple of days 😀
Peugeot say the gearbox oil lasts the life of the car so I presume they mean how the car has been driven? A good few owners have replaced theirs & say there was a noticeable difference but at the end of the day its the clutch (The workhorse of any gearbox) which is the pointer to a smooth gear change so I'm open minded on whether its really necessary but as they say in life the end justifies the means :)

tm2204

Reaction score
Peugeot say the gearbox oil lasts the life of the car so I presume they mean how the car has been driven? A good few owners have replaced theirs & say there was a noticeable difference but at the end of the day its the clutch (The workhorse of any gearbox) which is the pointer to a smooth gear change so I'm open minded on whether its really necessary but as they say in life the end justifies the means :)

Gear change is silky smooth right through the gears so no issues at all. Clutch is considerably lighter than my HDi 406 Coupe but I've adjusted already 😀

Last edited:

tm2204

Reaction score

Could you point me in the direction of where I might find this (where you got yours)? Thanks a million 😀

Pedro

Reaction score
I bought mine from Emanuals you pay the fee & they do the rest they also update you on other stuff by email just look them up on google

tm2204

Reaction score
39.3 MPG from my first full tank of petrol 😁 Fair bit of motorway driving but some mixed and short drives from cold too... I assume that's OK for the THP 156? 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
39.3 MPG from my first full tank of petrol 😁 Fair bit of motorway driving but some mixed and short drives from cold too... I assume that's OK for the THP 156? 👍
Sounds good engine must be running perfect but Motorway Miles ? How far is your nearest supermarket or B&Q etc ? 😀👍

tm2204

Reaction score
Sounds good engine must be running perfect but Motorway Miles ? How far is your nearest supermarket or B&Q etc ? 😀👍

I'm a carer and have to travel to the person I care for... hence the motorway miles ;) 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
I'm a carer and have to travel to the person I care for... hence the motorway miles ;) 👍
I understand lets hope this Locked up malarkey will come to a end in time for summer👌 ;)