What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New RCZ appears to be a definite!

hanswuk

Reaction score
I've just noticed this on What Car's website:

Peugeot is likely to fit an uprated version of its new turbocharged three-cylinder petrol engine to its next RCZ.

The engine, introduced on the 308 SW, could be boosted to around 150PS.

Head of product at Peugeot, Vincent Devos said: 'We're confident that the torque offered by this new engine is enough that it can be used across our range. In terms of the next RCZ, it's a little way off, but why not?

'Although it could produce more, I think 150PS [148bhp] is about the limit for this engine. Any more, and it starts to lose efficiency and make less sense.'

Devos went on to suggest the next RCZ will also feature Peugeot's small steering wheel, already seen in its 208, 308 and 3008. 'We plan to fit our smaller wheel to most of the range, inluding our larger D segment cars.

'It's designed to feel sporty, so fitting it to a car like the RCZ makes sense. The 308's de-cluttered dash layout is likely to be seen across the range, including the RCZ, too.'

Asked about whether Peugeot was looking at using adaptive damper technology, Devos said: 'We looked at them when discussing a hotter version of the 308, but decided they were quite expensive and too heavy.'

It must mean that a new model RCZ is a definite although hopefully more potent engines will also be offered!

hanswuk

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
I don't understand though how the new engine is better as its less bhp than the one already in the car.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

How attractive it is in the RCZ will I guess depend on it's torque, refinement and general character. The difference between 148bhp and 156bhp isn't huge and as the new RCZ will likely be much lighter it may even be faster. However logically it will only be the entry level engine.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm...not convinced by that even as an entry level. It's simply not enough power and they should really be thinking about adding power NOT taking it away. I also think that not looking at either active or adaptive suspension is a mistake. The suspension system on the RCZ is really some way behind the times.

hanswuk

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that the new 308 is around 150kg lighter than the old one. I would guess that the same will apply to the new RCZ as it will be based on the new 308 (rather than the old one as at present).

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Where is the weight saving going to come from? The RCZ is a heavy car as we all know and less power is going to leave it massively under powered.

In a logical progression from not supplying a spare wheel for the current model in order to save weight and improve fuel efficiency, the new RCZ will be a 3-wheeler thus saving on yet another wheel. Not to mention a suspension strut and brake components and throwing in some nifty pointy aerodynamics to boot ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I like your thinking Steve :thumbup: so the new RCZ will be very akin to the Trotters three wheeler. I wonder if they will do it in the same yellow paint? I do feel somehow that handling is going to be compromised ;)

Yep! And if Peugeot adopt my design, this time next year we'll be millionaires :D

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Tomas_90

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Where is the weight saving going to come from? The RCZ is a heavy car as we all know and less power is going to leave it massively under powered.

If Ferrari managed to shave 90 kg off the already thin 458 i'm sure Peugeot will find a few extra flabs on the fat RCZ aswell ;)

Looking forward to seeing this new car too but like the rest of you, the 148 bhp sounds a little bad. It's the entry level model but even so...

RCZash

Reaction score
Trotters three wheeler (reliant) was not the best handling machine I have ever driven, in left or right hand bends but a motorcycle and sidecar was great fun in right hand bends less so in left hand unless your passenger was prepared to lean out. So the new RCZ could be fun ?

hanswuk

Reaction score
I think you're all being a bit unfair. That's the way the industry is going eg. see the new 1.0 Ford Mondeo! If they shave 150kg off the weight of the car that 8bhp defecit will not be noticeable at all. Also a lighter car is generally a more nimble car so handling shouldn't be an issue either. Having said that obviously I would hope they also offer some meatier alternatives!

A

Anonymous

Yeah but a Mondeo is a very different car to an RCZ and that little 1.0 engine produces 125BHP. I wouldn't look at a Mondeo and think, "I bet that's a thrilling/quick/engaging drive".

A

Anonymous

Chances are, if you slung a 150 bhp 3 pot into the existing z the power to weight would be identical to the existing 156 bhp. And with less weight on the nose it'd steer better (apart from the roof, the best place to save weight from is the nose).

I find it amusing you're saying itd be too coarse for such a car. A 1.6 four is hardly the last word in smoothness yet the engine in our cars is a little cracker.

A

Anonymous

Nice photoshop, great work..

I am also worried the new RCZ will be heavier as they may fit some jacking points to the next version!!?!? :lol: