What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New Pollen Filter smell?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, the car went in for it’s service & mot & passed with flying colours.

They put a new pollen filter in as part of the service.

When I picked it up it was fine, but when I got in it the following morning (this morning) there was a funny smell in the car, in fact it was quite unpleasant. It’s not a smell I can point a finger at, as in I don’t really know what it smells like.
Using the car later this afternoon, the smell was just as bad.
The only thing I could think of that could have caused it was the new pollen filter as all the air entering the car interior passes through it.
I have has a good look around under the bonnet & I can’t see any obvious spillages that could maybe smell when hot & filter into the cab, they left the pipercross air filter in situ, & I’m struggling to think what else it could be?

Has anyone had a smelly experience with a new pollen filter, or just after a service? If so did you find the cause?

I was thinking of going back to the garage, but I would feel stupid if it turns out to be something unrelated :eusa-think:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Can't say I've ever had a smell after changing the cabin filter.

Although you never know.
Maybe give it a few days see if it fades.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

tianorth

Reaction score
Nothing silly about querying something that happened after a service, when it wasn't there before.

Which pollen filter did they put in?
There are 3
Standard pollen filter
Charcoal pollen filter
Allergy pollen filter

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have no idea Chris, that’s the thing with having the service plan, when they say they are going to do something that’s not going to cost you anything, you tend to just say ok. I did have an engine flush that cost @ £30 discounted price, I thought it wasn’t a bad idea as it hadn’t had one from new, and I told them they could go ahead and change the brake fluid if it needed doing, but after testing it, they said it was ok.

I will have a look at the invoice & see if it specifies, but I remember having a quick glance in the showroom & I don’t think it said.

I will give it until after the weekend, if there is still a problem I will give them a call :eusa-think:

braveheart

Reaction score
Hi.. strange indeed I would've thought it would have helped any smells putting a new one in.

When I'm detailing cars part of my odour removal system is putting a few drops or sprays of essential oil on the filter itself and then running the a/c on and spraying a disinfectant spray into the intake as it kills bacteria and this usually removes any bad odours.

Hope this helps

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It’s really a strange one. It’s a very unpleasant smell, and I can’t really find out where it’s coming from. I am just linking the pollen filter to the smell as that’s the only thing that’s changed that I can think of that could be the cause.

So yesterday, I emptied a full bottle of Fabreeze into the cab/boot area making sure I covered every part of the carpet, including the boot lid lining.

My OH has taken the car out this morning, so I will ask her when she gets back if it’s any different. I am out in it this afternoon, so I can judge for myself.

Last night, I put the screen demister on so I had massive volumes of air running through the new filter, just trying to see if I can make any difference.

I would feel stupid if I go back to the dealer & it turns out to be nothing to do with them & of course, they are a main dealer, so no doubt there would be a charge for any investigation they do.

If it’s no better after the weekend it will have to go in anyway, I can’t drive round with that smell, it really is unpleasant.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I’m tipping when they did the service they may have dripped some oil on the exhaust and it’s that you can smell burning off but if this is the case it should have burnt off quite quickly and the smell gone with it? Unless there is a leak of oil onto the exhaust? For example if the new oil filters not sealed properly :eusa-think:

Not clever though hope you get to the bottom of it and I’m sure if it’s Evanshalshaw that’s at fault they ain’t gonna own up to it. :roll:

2retro

Reaction score
Or you annoyed somebody at the dealership one time and they hid a dead fish in your car as revenge... just saying. :eusa-whistle: :?

tianorth

Reaction score
I have the Peugeot service plan for my RCZ-R, I'm paying extra for a different pollen filter, and I ask for my spark plugs and pollen and air filters back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I didn’t even know there were different pollen filters until I read your earlier post, let alone that I could have requested which type I got.

It will probably turn out to be nothing to do with that at all, & once I take the fish out of the air filter box, I’m sure it will be fine :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Btw, I took it out this afternoon, still smells terrible.

The thing is, I came across a lot of burning items during my 22 years in the Fire Service, & I remember most of the odours, especially at car fires, oil, petrol, tyres, plastics, etc etc and I can’t say as I recognise this smell at all which is one of the reasons I find this so strange.

I have had oil on exhausts, even plastic bags wrapped round them & this doesn’t smell like that, it doesn’t really smell like a “burning” smell at all.

Woodso

Reaction score
Is the smell apparent when you 1st enter the car or after a short period of time driving?

If it is there when you 1st get in it could be due to something in the cabin.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think it is more noticeable when you first enter the car, thinking about it.

I can’t think what it could be in the cabin though, I have not had anything in there since the service, and I wouldn’t have thought they needed to do anything inside the car at all :eusa-think:

The bottle of Fabreeze I emptied inside didn’t make any difference at all either.

Last night I was out in it, and maybe it didn’t seem quite as strong a smell as before, unless I am just starting to get used to it.

My father-in-law was the head mechanic at a Vauxhall dealership before he retired. He couldn’t think of anything they could have done to cause the smell other than some sort of spillage. He noticed it as soon as I opened the door, and had a good look under the bonnet & underneath the engine (he’s not as young as he used to be so not exactly a thorough inspection, but good of him to look). Nothing apparent anywhere.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Update.

Car still smelly, but, it is definitely getting weaker.
OH says she can’t smell it now, but it is still there, just not as strong, so not bothering to take it in for a ridiculous amount to tell me they don’t know what it is, but it’s nothing to do with them.

It will remain an unsolved mystery, but one that I hope doesn’t rear its ugly head again :eusa-think:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
stewartwillsher said:
sometimes a bush can be a bit smelly and I've seen some nearby
just saying

I hope your not insinuating Mrs DKZ has a smelly bush? :eek: :lol: