What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New owner from Fleet, Hampshire

A

Anonymous

Hi All :wave: ,

I picked up my new (to me) 2012 Mercury Grey HDi RCZ yesterday . Collected from a Peugeot main dealer in Chester after a long search for just the right car. Had a good drive home and pleased with 50+ MPG with an average speed of above 50Mph over 200 miles.

Deliberating over a Racechip and K&N filter :? - do I actually need any more oomph, it's really quite nice already. Any thoughts invited!

Cheers all.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Welcome :)
I have the HDI with a k+n filter. I think it slightly improves the smoothness of the throttle response.
Im also deciding if I should get a chip.

One tip which I have tried and tested is, when I was using tesco diesel, I was only getting 156bhp. I now use nitro+ from shell with millers ecomax additive and I have a much smoother car and its running at 166 :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. I don't use Supermarket fuel unless I have to, although it's probably a reverse placebo effect! I skimmed the owner's guide yesterday though and thought it recommended against fuel additives, but might look at the Millers you mention.

If I take the bite on the Chip, i'll let you know the outcome, trying to get a feel for the car before changing it, but the chip will help pay for itself the sooner it's fitted based on fuel savings.

Lastly, were you one of the people who got one of the new gear knob's, just been skimming the rczperformance website along with the forum and after the drive home yesterday I'd already had in mind 2 changes to the car - clutch pedal height (!!!!) and the gear knob height / stick length. I prefer a shorter throw feel.

Thanks again.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
tjsgifan said:
Lastly, were you one of the people who got one of the new gear knob's, just been skimming the rczperformance website along with the forum and after the drive home yesterday I'd already had in mind 2 changes to the car - clutch pedal height (!!!!) and the gear knob height / stick length. I prefer a shorter throw feel.

Thanks again.
I have the R knob, but I dont think it does anything to the height of it. It does sit nicer in the hand though. :)

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Congratulations and Welcome!

If you have any questions regarding any of the products we sell, please do not hesitate to contact us.

A

Anonymous

I took the plunge on the RaceChip Pro2 from RCZPerformance and after a fiddly installation (Not great instructions with the product if i'm honest, and the Racechip website wasn't much help either). Fortunately, a colleague has the same HDi engine in his Mondeo which he already has a chip on, so I had a look at his install and copied it closely.

Initial impression is :

a) smoother running - engine seems quieter?!!??
b) far smoother at low speeds - 1st and 2nd gear in traffic jams feels a lot better
c) mid range improvement - stick in 4th gear, 40mph to in excess of the UK speed limits is very quick - you could drive this car in 5th all day long too
d) fuel economy - no real improvement, but the trip computer says my average speed is quite a bit more than before, so I'm assuming that's a trade off... I did a day driving to the office and back the same route as normal and just that trip alone saw a 3mpg improvement, but to be honest that's not a long enough journey to be a true reflection and could have been affected by various factors.

This is on standard settings, i've not tweaked the box at all, but I do think it's a nice smooth car now so driveability it's probably spot on. I would guess it's probably sitting around 185-190hp as it is, if it was achieving 163 in stock form (Although i've not got a dyno to try either on so i'm just basing it on life experience), but the torque is a good improvement. I might try 1 or 2 adjustments on the box in a month or two but no urgency.

Oh, and no black smoke under hard acceleration which is obviously good.

No regrests at all.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
tjsgifan said:
I took the plunge on the RaceChip Pro2 from RCZPerformance and after a fiddly installation (Not great instructions with the product if i'm honest, and the Racechip website wasn't much help either). Fortunately, a colleague has the same HDi engine in his Mondeo which he already has a chip on, so I had a look at his install and copied it closely.

Initial impression is :

a) smoother running - engine seems quieter?!!??
b) far smoother at low speeds - 1st and 2nd gear in traffic jams feels a lot better
c) mid range improvement - stick in 4th gear, 40mph to in excess of the UK speed limits is very quick - you could drive this car in 5th all day long too
d) fuel economy - no real improvement, but the trip computer says my average speed is quite a bit more than before, so I'm assuming that's a trade off... I did a day driving to the office and back the same route as normal and just that trip alone saw a 3mpg improvement, but to be honest that's not a long enough journey to be a true reflection and could have been affected by various factors.

This is on standard settings, i've not tweaked the box at all, but I do think it's a nice smooth car now so driveability it's probably spot on. I would guess it's probably sitting around 185-190hp as it is, if it was achieving 163 in stock form (Although i've not got a dyno to try either on so i'm just basing it on life experience), but the torque is a good improvement. I might try 1 or 2 adjustments on the box in a month or two but no urgency.

Oh, and no black smoke under hard acceleration which is obviously good.

No regrests at all.
Great report and thanks again for your order!

dreamer

Reaction score
Hi,

would be possible to have some pictures to explain how to install it? I'm thinking to buy some chip box (didn't decide which yet) but also to make my decision I would need to know how to install it first... :/

Thanks in advance,
dreamer

A

Anonymous

If you are considering tuning the RCZ its worth having a map written for it directly to the Ecu, I'm not about to do mine as its under warranty and will invalidate it but I had our other car remapped this way and it's made a huge difference, the trouble with a lot of plug and play is they just fool the Ecu into over fuelling and ignore fault codes. If you go down the route of a box or chip you need to know what it actually does, oh and don't forget to inform your insurance as any addition of a tuning box will be obvious to any assessor in the event of an accident and may invalidate your insurance .

dreamer

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm from Portugal and here we don't have that issue regarding to ensurance, but I have regarding to warranty, I have 5 years of warranty, so I cannot remap it... still have 2 years of warranty, and I can increase it to 8 years in total, but don't know if I will do it...

A

Anonymous

You would need to remove the box before it went into the garage each time, the warranty is unlikely to be honoured if the car is modified for more performance

dreamer

Reaction score
if remapped I'm pretty sure I would be honoured... regarding to remove the box is not the problem, my question is how to access common-rail and also boost sensor.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
I can provide the documents to install the Racechip module. Please email me at [email protected] mentioning this thread and please provide the following:

Year of RCZ:
Engine Type (THP156, THP200, or HDi):
Which module you want (One, Pro2, or Ultimate):

To see the different modules from Racechip, please visit their site:

http://www.racechip.com/

Reaction score
Hi,

If you needed any help with insurance for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.

Regards,

Dan.