What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

New clutch = chunking noise from underneath car

Guppy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently had a new clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced by Peugeot, however after about a week I became aware of clunking noise coming from underneath the car... sometimes during gear change, driving over a steep speed hump or when coming to an abrupt stop/exceleration.

I've manged to replicate the noise by 'snatching the clutch' in reverse gear and in first gear. The sound has been caught on my dashcam and can be seen/ heard here.... http://www.penninehomesecurity.com/rcz-clunking

My instint tells me that either the engine mount or gearbox is lose? Your opinions would be greatly appreciate.

The car is booked in with Peugeot for inspection.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Your right, that’s not right :eusa-think:

Do you have any problems selecting gears? As it’s something that I assume it didn’t do before, it’s not too far from the realms of possibility that it’s something to do with what the garage did.

It does sound like something is moving that probably shouldn’t. If it sounds like it’s from underneath the car it’s probably not engine mount related, more likely transmission.

As it’s that they have been messing with, I reckon it narrows it down a bit

Guppy

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Your right, that’s not right :eusa-think:

Do you have any problems selecting gears? As it’s something that I assume it didn’t do before, it’s not too far from the realms of possibility that it’s something to do with what the garage did.

It does sound like something is moving that probably shouldn’t. If it sounds like it’s from underneath the car it’s probably not engine mount related, more likely transmission.

As it’s that they have been messing with, I reckon it narrows it down a bit

Gear change no longer feels as slick as when the new clutch first went in, and sometimes when selecting gear (when noise is present) I get feedback via the gear stick, but this is only on occation and only slight.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I concur and would be straight back to Peugeot to sort it out, does seem more mechanical than just a mount.

Good Luck with the repair, keep us posted.

Cheers M. :beer:

Guppy

Reaction score
Guppy said:
Hi all,

I recently had a new clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced by Peugeot, however after about a week I became aware of clunking noise coming from underneath the car... sometimes during gear change, driving over a steep speed hump or when coming to an abrupt stop/exceleration.

I've manged to replicate the noise by 'snatching the clutch' in reverse gear and in first gear. The sound has been caught on my dashcam and can be seen/ heard here.... http://www.penninehomesecurity.com/rcz-clunking

My instint tells me that either the engine mount or gearbox is lose? Your opinions would be greatly appreciate.

The car is booked in with Peugeot for inspection.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan

UPDATE:

So i returned the car to Peugeot a couple of weeks ago for inspection and they informed me that having inspected the underneath of the car... everything looks fine, they were also unable to replicate the 'clunking' noise, and was asked to contact them if the noise persists.

So I decided to clock up 1000 miles to see if there was any improvement?

1000+ miles covered and the noise persists (more frequent, especially when driven for long periods).

I have now contacted the 'dealer' and informed them that 'their client' RRG Peugeot have not carried out the repairs to a satisfactory standard, therefore the car needs to be returned to them for rectification.

I eagerly await their response.

To be continued..................