What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

My RCZ R, the update

A

Anonymous

Well I have had the "R" for around 2 months now, done just under 800 miles in total and had the opportunity to give her a good run out around the country with mostly Motorway (congested :( ) and some mixed A/B and town driving.
From day 1 I have not reset the trip computer, the MPG is taken from the miles I have done so far.

1. Driving.

Honestly, I felt like death warmed up on a drive down south, I had a week suffering from flu so really not in the greatest of moods to drive, still I took the "R" over one of my little test zones to see how good the suspension is, and she passed with flying colours (there is a little bit of the M62 going onto the M6 southbound where it can throw your car a little, it wasn't a problem for the "R" and was well absorbed without knocking her out of her stride :thumbup: )

The main drive was a fair bit of slow down, speed up, stop, start, typical of the M6 to be honest with you, it wasn't really until the M40 was reached that i had a clear road to drive on, still, saying that the fuel economy isnt bad, and I shall come to that shortly.

You can also feel her loosening up, the gearbox feels smoother, the brakes better, the engine is feeling more responsive (gradually increasing the revs, though 3k is around 70mph), and the torque is good from low down in the rev range.
On the motorway or open A roads you can drive pretty lazily, by that I mean chug around in 6th gear and keep her there, town driving is just as easy and its not a tiring car to drive and very rewarding when you open her up.

2. Handling.

I can assure you that Peugeot Sport have done this right, the steering does feel a little light but you get use to it (I came from a heavier weighted 4wd car), the feedback is there and the setup makes for a nicely balanced fwd car.
I cannot compare the RCZ R to the THP 200, but its miles apart from the THP 156, far more focused without compromising comfort, even on the more undulating roads (like outside my front door), she behaves very well and I am impressed :cool:

3 Economy.

Well everyone will tell you that you don't buy a performance car for economy, yeah ok, the book figures are, well extremely good? or are they a little far out?
Up to now, my trip computer shows 42mpg, this is mixed driving with a bit of "spirited" driving in there too, its not far off the mark, my round trip shows me at 40mpg and that was 500 miles, I do expect this to improve and I was not trying to drive economical, this was normal driving, in my previous Subaru for the same sort of journey, I would have gotten around 25mpg if not a little less on the same fuel (Shell V Power).

4. Ownership.

I really love the RCZ R, running costs are not expensive, even the insurance isn't bad, the Goodyear Eagles are cheaper than the Conti's on the GT's and servicing costs similar/same.

The car isn't perfect though, some of it is the design of the RCZ, some of it is nit picking.
You really need to look over your shoulder when making a manoeuvre, why they don't put blind spot mirrors in I do not know :wtf:
The drivers seat, as comfy as it is, is a pain to set up properly, once you have then its great, its just getting it there in the first place :lol:
You notice the exhaust sound, it can seem to be a little bit of a drone, this seems to be improving with more miles on and its either my hearing is getting use to it or the exhaust is actually just bedding in more.

Overall the RCZ R is fantastic :thumbup: Peugeot are getting back to where they need to be, if they can improve on this with the proposed 208R and 308R then they should sell like hot cakes ;)

A

Anonymous

I said after my test drive anybody who bought one wouldn't be disappointed.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
bigmac3161 said:
I said after my test drive anybody who bought one wouldn't be disappointed.

Especially if that test drive is going full throttle round a track lol

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Having had mine for a fortnight, I wouldn't disagree with a word.

Pete

Assuming you had Contis on your previous RCZ, is there a noticable difference in road noise between them and the Eagles?

Cheers

BTD

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Somewhat drowned out by the engine/exhaust sound, so can't be definitive, but sounds more like my Michelin winter tyres than Contis.

What I would say in addition is that these Eagle F1s do seem to throw up more grit and rubbish from the road than either the Contis or winter Michelins ever did. You can hear it all rattling on the underside.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Pete. Of course the extra 'grit' could just be down to the fact that you're hoofing it a lot more! ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

Does the r have the same levels of sealant on the floor and floor sound deadening as the regular cars? Would be another reason for hearing the gravel rash.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Hadn't thought of that but, on reflection, not convinced it's the full explanation. Yes, the R has some weight saving but the it's the quantity of gravel thrown up that's struck me, not the amount of noise. Might be completely wrong, of course, so would be interested to hear of any R owners comparable experiences.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Somewhat drowned out by the engine/exhaust sound, so can't be definitive, but sounds more like my Michelin winter tyres than Contis.

What I would say in addition is that these Eagle F1s do seem to throw up more grit and rubbish from the road than either the Contis or winter Michelins ever did. You can hear it all rattling on the underside.

The F1's dont through up as much as the contis,actually they are superior in every way to the contis,quieter,more grip,and far superior in the wet...Cheaper

pete.garratt

Reaction score
jassyo06 said:
The F1's dont through up as much as the contis,actually they are superior in every way to the contis,quieter,more grip,and far superior in the wet...Cheaper

All I can say is, that's not my experience regarding stones & grit. Would agree with quieter - as I said in my earlier post, they seem more like my Michelin winter tyres in that respect.