What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

My RCZ is smoking and has dirty coolant

Deezee

Reaction score
Hi, so I bought at 2012 RCZ THP 156 recently off of an auction site. I drove it around for a bit and my brother told me that the car was smoking like crazy when I floored it. Also when we checked the coolant it was pretty much black and I’m not a fully qualified mechanic but even I know that its not supposed to be black. I’ve been wondering about all the things that can cause this. I’ve read that it could be a blown head gasket or there might be a leak in the oil cooling system and it could be getting into the coolant reservoir. If someone can give insight into this that would be wonderful. Thank you.

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
probably a blown head gasket..
i hope you bought it really cheap...

darko

Reaction score
Hey buddy, posted about the same issue here few days ago.... I did replace the two gaskets on the oil cooler and flush the coolant few times, added new oil and coolant and that seems to fix the problem for me. Before putting money down for this repair I would suggest to check if any misfire, confirm the engine running good without any codes as any misfire can be associated with blown head gasket if mixing oil into coolant or coolant into the oil. Check my post here to see the images I posted!

Deezee

Reaction score
Hey buddy, posted about the same issue here few days ago.... I did replace the two gaskets on the oil cooler and flush the coolant few times, added new oil and coolant and that seems to fix the problem for me. Before putting money down for this repair I would suggest to check if any misfire, confirm the engine running good without any codes as any misfire can be associated with blown head gasket if mixing oil into coolant or coolant into the oil. Check my post here to see the images I posted!

Would you be able to tell me where the oil cooler it’s located?

darko

Reaction score
Would you be able to tell me where the oil cooler it’s located?
d7636b7bf273abf7f355a39f14239d72-2.jpeg

This is for THP200, prob the same spot....

Check this video done on MINI same part and location, you need the same gaskets but double check this may not be the same part numbers as on the video for the THP156.
Skip into 7:30 for the oil cooler part. Cheers

Last edited:

Deezee

Reaction score
I forgot to mention there’s no milky oil on the dip stick. Also the smoke has pretty much cleared out. I believe it may have been condensation.

darko

Reaction score
I forgot to mention there’s no milky oil on the dip stick. Also the smoke has pretty much cleared out. I believe it may have been condensation.
Idk how much is you to do machine flush of the coolant, where I'm from it cost me like 100 euros for full machine chemical clean of the coolant system including deep clean of the coolant tank.... You can try to do this before anything else, new coolant will be added and can be just that easy and cheap fix of your issue.