What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

My Initial Thoughts On RT6

A

Anonymous

After 2 days ownership and 400 miles, my initial thoughts on RT6 are 'Peugeot what have you done?'.

1) Why do I have to have that Compass on left side of screen, totally pointless.

2) While not using SatNav why have I got the Road Name(Town) that I am currently travelling on at the bottom of the screen, wouldn't mind to much but it's not centeralised so when it's a long name you lose righthand side of name behind the altitude display.

3)When using radio why is the scrolling RDS information so jerky, no longer smooth as on the NG4. Also on the NG4 it looped round on it's self, on RT6 it gets to end then starts again split second after so appears to flash which I find distracting. Yes I know I don't have to have RDS on but I like to know what I'm listening to on the radio in case a song come on I like but don't know who/what it is.

4)Not sure if this happened on NG4 never noticed so I'm going to say it didn't. When you put wipers on Auto the message appears on the Media screen, again flashing up then gone so catches my eye again distracting. On NG4 message came up on the info panel between Rev Counter & Speedometer so you saw it central and not out of the corner of your eye.

5)Whilst playing MP3 files from a USB stick never seems to resume from same place as when switched off, driving me nuts whilst listening to PodCasts.

6)Volume used to be a knob that you just turned up or down now on a rocker switch, just more awkward to use, the volume switch was also the On/Off button just push it. Now it's a little buttom on far side just under CD slot or the mute is push 2 buttons on the back of right hand stalk.

Not used the SatNav yet but will be doing tomorrow so I hope to have a more positive reaction to that feature.

And don't even start me on lack of SD Card & Hard Drive. Yes they have halved the price but in IMHO ruined what I thought was a fairly good easy to use media system.

Then to add salt into the wounds they put the user guide for the NG4 in the handbook because it is still an option in other countries. :evil: :evil: :evil:

If anyone has discovered a way of turning Compass / Road Name off or any help / sugestions re my other irritations please please post.

After that rant I have to say I'm loving my new Z. The way it looks, the way it drives absolutly superb. The differance in the 156 / 200 is amazing power / short shift etc. Very very happy :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Grantp said:
If anyone has discovered a way of turning Compass / Road Name off or any help / sugestions re my other irritations please please post

The mode button switches between "Radio", "Telephone", "Map in Windows" (that's the one with the compass if I remember correctly) and "Full Screen Map". Select the last one.

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
Grantp said:
If anyone has discovered a way of turning Compass / Road Name off or any help / sugestions re my other irritations please please post

The mode button switches between "Radio", "Telephone", "Map in Windows" (that's the one with the compass if I remember correctly) and "Full Screen Map". Select the last one.

The compass is on the none Nav screen IE when listening to Radio/CD/USB if it was on the Sat Nav I would understand it but it appears to just be what for me is the default screen. If I'm not asking for directions I don't care if I'm going N.S,E or W. To tell you the truth I don't care which direction I'm travelling any way as long as it gets me there :D

A

Anonymous

Grantp said:
The compass is on the none Nav screen IE when listening to Radio/CD/USB

Okay, I didn't know that. When I test-drove the RCZ I just wanted to get the map bigger so I fiddled around until that damn compass was gone.

Grantp said:
I don't care which direction I'm travelling any way as long as it gets me there :D

Good point :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Grant, I can't understand why the compass or the RDS or the road name bother you. If I'm in Sat Nav mode, I don't tend to look st the screen. My eyes are onto the road. They don't bother me at all. Don't think you can turn off compass or road names.

Use the volume buttons on the steering controls. I use them all the time, never the font of the stereo. SD card and hard drive I can't say anything about but I'm more than happy with having all my music available on my iPod or iPhone and making calls is straight forward.

Obviously I can't compare it to the NG4 but I'm very pleased with the system, even in Sat Nav mode.

A

Anonymous

Becoming familiar with some new gadget after being used to another gadget can be frustrating,l have never had built in satnav till now and getting used to it and finding all the correct settings is a pain in the Butt, i cant find the 3D mode in my car or even a few other tricks its just trial and error.

A lot of owners complained about the NG4 is someway or another, its price being one of them £1,500 which rather is exorbitant for a pug satnav or any for that matter Audi's top the range satnav is £1,200,but it looks like a great satnav to me folding up electrically is uber cool :cool: My satnav is built into the dashboard but also has a Sony stereo built in that is pain to get accustomed to, you have no choice but to like it, popeye/merchant seaman thought the same as he had the ng4 as well.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Grant, I can't understand why the compass or the RDS or the road name bother you. If I'm in Sat Nav mode, I don't tend to look st the screen. My eyes are onto the road. They don't bother me at all. Don't think you can turn off compass or road names.

The compass and RDS bother me because they don't scroll smoothly across the screen. The RDS has a slight jump / flicker as is moves right to left then when it gets to last character it doesn't just start to scrol from far right it start half way across so it's a constant jerky movement always in corner of my eye. Likewise with the compass it doesn't move smoothly between the compass points it's N then NW just this constant jumping movements that I am finding really distracting and making me look what is happening hence taking my eyes off the road.

I could understand the compass if I am using sat nav to navigate but not when I'm listening to the radio.

Road names not such a problem but why :?: totally pointless unless I'm using sat nav and at least centeralise the display don't cut half of it off behind the altitude display.

RCZ1 said:
Use the volume buttons on the steering controls. I use them all the time, never the font of the stereo.

I accept this one just got so used to using control on front of the unit.

RCZ1 said:
SD card and hard drive I can't say anything about but I'm more than happy with having all my music available on my iPod or iPhone and making calls is straight forward.

Making calls yes no problem with that, but as for having my music on it that doesn't work for me, I often forget my phone or even leave it at home on purpose. The large USB drive I've got works OK apart from it doesn't pick up from where it left off, fine for music but not for listening to podcasts etc.

jassyo06 said:
Becoming familiar with some new gadget after being used to another gadget can be frustrating,l have never had built in satnav till now and getting used to it and finding all the correct settings is a pain in the Butt, i cant find the 3D mode in my car or even a few other tricks its just trial and error.

The way you use NG4 and RT6 are very similar it's mainly these superfulous displays that jump and flicker that are really annoying me

A

Anonymous

Just a thought here, and I'm no expert, so stay calm, but is it possible to put the NG4 software into the RT6, IF someone wanted to :?:
My NG4 has none of the frustrations that Grant mentions. :eusa-think:
I do think it should of had full post code entry , but now that I've got used to the 5 digit entry it's a piece of cake.
The hard drive is massive on the NG4 so that's a bonus too but maybe the hard drive on the RT6 is not big enough to accept the software from the NG4.

Like I say just a thought. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Just came across another negative of RT6 conpared to NG4. Made a call today that went to a menu system IE Press 1 for ... Press 2 for ... You can't press the options because theres no number pad to push the numbers. So I had to pull into a service station and call from my mobile phone :evil:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Grantp said:
Just came across another negative of RT6 conpared to NG4. Made a call today that went to a menu system IE Press 1 for ... Press 2 for ... You can't press the options because theres no number pad to push the numbers. So I had to pull into a service station and call from my mobile phone :evil:

The latter option would be safest to my mind but I get where you are coming from :)

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/