What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Moley

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
We are, generally, very wild-life friendly, and apart from obnoxious insects which are not treated with any kindness, the rest are either humanely dispatched or deterred from causing us annoyance in as kind a way as possible.
The latest critter to test our patience and kindness is the mole.
At the moment there are numerous locations on our land where these rascals have tunnelled and left a tell-tale raised earth path or a hill.
Our terraces are vulnerable to either being undermined by the channels of run off of rain water, or creatures shifting soil.
The occasional fox does little damage, nor, surprisingly the few rabbits living on or close to our land.
But, moley is a threat, seeming to do a lot of excavations for such a sweet and pretty animal.
I read up on them to understand their activities.
Worms are their focus and they go to great lengths to seek them out and either devour or store them, having decapitated them.
I am going for a deterrent, which does them no harm but gets right up their nose.
According to the wealth of advice on the internet they cannot abide the pong of castor oil, so I am following a suggested cocktail of that and washing up liquid, diluted with water and sprayed where they have tunnels and hills.
At the risk of boring (mole pun there) I'll keep you posted on progress.

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I would trap and remove but if you like there is live catch mole traps on molebay to do this and there is the other way to take the music plastic thing out of them annoying cards you get put them in the hole and they head for the hills..

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Verminator said:
Well I would trap and remove but if you like there is live catch mole traps on molebay to do this and there is the other way to take the music plastic thing out of them annoying cards you get put them in the hole and they head for the hills..
"music plastic thing out of them annoying cards you get" :eusa-think:
What be they? :oops:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I recommend a stick of dynamite in each mole hill. They tend to not like that much either and it’s much more satisfying :thumbup:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
I recommend a stick of dynamite in each mole hill. They tend to not like that much either and it’s much more satisfying :thumbup:
Certainly a fast and humane method of euthanising the blighters but I see some negative aspects to the result - wife, and more particularly the washing on the line would be pebble-dashed with earth and gore, and house might end up looking a bit mottled.
Then there's extra hours to pay our chap, for filling in the craters.
Explosives are easier to come by over here, and I could say I am celebrating something or other, which is usually accompanied with loads of bangs; but then all and sundry would want an invite, and even a few beers each is going to add to the cost considerably.
But thanks all the same for the suggestion which would be most entertaining, especially if I put on old Tchaik's 1812.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
stewartwillsher said:
Verminator said:

They be the little round music making device found in annoying birthday and christmas cards, take apart and put one in said mole hole, they like me dont like the high pitched sound.

By the way if you find an albino mole , keep it alive for me, I have a need for one ! ?

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
stewartwillsher said:
Verminator said:

They be the little round music making device found in annoying birthday and christmas cards, take apart and put one in said mole hole, they like me dont like the high pitched sound.

By the way if you find an albino mole , keep it alive for me, I have a need for one ! ?
Thanks for the education; been out of touch of such things; cards over here are still about half a century behind the modern world, like many things. :roll:
I hate to imagine what wonders are everyday in the US! :oops:
To what perverse witchcraft activity would require an albino mole, I ask? (with some trepidation!) :wtf:
P.S. If there's good money in it, then peroxide can fix it up for the job! :lol: