What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Misfire, shaking and loss of power

Nemi

Reaction score
When I turn the car on my fan comes on straight away..
You already said that like 3 times already. Yes, the fan comes on when something is not right.

My HPFP failed at around 50k miles, I had misfires, shaking, fan on startup or after driving. Similar issues occurred when some garage changed my spark plugs. Coils got damaged when they replaced spark plugs so I had to replace all coils as well.

Nemi

Reaction score
Stop creating duplicate topics, this is already your third with the same issue.

okohchris32

Reaction score

Sorry but just trying to get more point of views. But Its coming up same answer. Just only trying to double check

DKZ5745

Reaction score
There are 2 probabilities I know of. HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pump) or Coil Packs. The RCZ is known for having issues with both.

I don’t have an OBD reader, so I’m not familiar with codes, but I’m sure someone will be along shortly that is.

My car suffered similar symptoms a couple of years ago. I had the plugs and coil packs replaced which seemed to resolve things, but only for a short while. I then had the HPFP replaced under extended warranty & everything went back to normal, in fact, the car ran better than it ever had.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I didn’t realise you had created several posts about the same subject. I have answered you in one of your other posts. I realise you are wanting to make sure about things, but trust the members on here. Many of them like myself have had their RCZ for many years, some have more than one RCZ.
It IS your HPFP, you could probably have the fuel rail replaced at the same time, that’s what thePeugeot dealer did under warranty when mine went. It will solve your problem.

Pedro

Reaction score
When I turn on the car my fan turns on straight away.
That's the ECU detecting there is a fault it starts the fan to stop the Engine being damaged by overheating etc
All those codes point to multiple misfires it may even be the pump? if your code reader has the fuel trim data graph facility try scanning the fuel pressure to see if the high & low trims are in tolerance?

NF7

Reaction score
P1336 - Crank/Cam sensor range/performance or misfire on several cylinders -> could be HPFP and could also be timing issue
P1337 - Same as 1336 only different cylinder
P1339 - Same as 1336 only different cylinder
P0301 - Misfire Cylinder 1 -> most likely HPFP

I find it extremely unlikely, that it would be the ignition coils since coils do not burn out at the same time (99% of the time).

I'd say HPFP is most likely the culprit. I would check the car to a garage. It will cost you around 500€ (parts + labor).

If replacing the HPFP does not resolve the issue, your timing chain has jumped - in that case, fix it immediately since you do not want damage to pistons and valves.

Also opening multiple threads of the same question will not get you different opinions since the same people will be responding.

Micky7617

Reaction score
I have a 2011 1.6GT and only owned it for a couple of months with 50k on the clock.

Since owning it, I have noticed a couple of things with power delivery, more specifically when I ask for healthy squirt of acceleration in 4th or 5th doing around 40 - 50 mph, the response i get from the engine is not so much as a stutter, but more like as if it was restricted and knocking my request back as a subtle NO.

Yesterday, I went to Birmingham and back to pick the daughter up from uni, on the return journey, I went to overtake a nissan washing machine and failed! Dropped it to 3rd, power down, up it went to around 5k revs and the power was there, then I got definitive NO answer from the engine which resulted in the engine management light coming on. I tried to engage power but there was nothing there, the only thing I could do was slow crawl to around 2k rpm in each gear, I assume this is limp mode? I knew it wasn't anything serious as the engine was ticking over, no strange noises or rattling etc so I assumed it was a sensor, I continued onwards until I got to some services (around another 15miles)

But during the time of it happening and the point at which I stopped at the services, I noticed something really weird with the temperature gauge, it actually started to go down as I was driving, then pick back up to 90 degs, then drop to 70 degs, then back up to 90 degs. Stopped in the services for around 20 mins, jumped back in the motor, started first time, management light still on, but now the temp gauge stayed on 90 degs all the way, plodded on the remaining 35 miles or so to get home, parked up, engine off, then had to go out again to the in laws to pick up the daughters motor.

Started the car, engine management light was no longer on?? However, when I ask for power, even in 2nd or 3rd at low revs, I can still feel this restrictive kick back saying NO. Reading the above thread, and it sounds as if the HPFP could be a likely culprit.

Before I go down the HPFP route, is there anything else this could be that relates my experience to something other than the HPFP?

Do these cars have a error code history log on board, or can the codes only be read when the management light is on?

Pedro

Reaction score
Maybe the pump is failing= poor acceleration on demand as fuel pressure starts to drop under load
Does the Turbo boost? The Diverter Valve could be leaking (seal Blown)
The Temp gauge issue is possibly the sensor fault in the thermostat tank ( known generic Failure) is the fan coming on ?
Most modern cars store historic fault codes as does the Z

Micky7617

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro,

The Turbo does boost as I can hear the waste gate, as for the temp gauge, this only happened during the initial incident when the warning light came on, I think the fans were on even though there was enough flow, as I mentioned, the temp is at 90 normally, then it dropped to 70 for around 20 secs before returning to 90, once I had shut down and re-started, the temp gauge stayed fixed on 90 degs all the way home.

Got a mate of mine with a Bosch code reader, going to get him to have a blast through the historics and see if we can come up with a diagnosis.

Pedro

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro,

The Turbo does boost as I can hear the waste gate, as for the temp gauge, this only happened during the initial incident when the warning light came on, I think the fans were on even though there was enough flow, as I mentioned, the temp is at 90 normally, then it dropped to 70 for around 20 secs before returning to 90, once I had shut down and re-started, the temp gauge stayed fixed on 90 degs all the way home.

Got a mate of mine with a Bosch code reader, going to get him to have a blast through the historics and see if we can come up with a
Your only up the road from me or A55 to exact

Dennis

Reaction score
My 2013 peoguet RCZ is having issues of
Misfire, shaking and loss of power.
I changed the spark plugs and it's doing same thing again.
Please what does it mean.
I did an ODB check and it came P1336, P1337, 1339 and P0301.
I had a simular issue with my 1.6 GT 200 ,
Loss of power ,running really rough ,fan running at full speed along with red dash warning light on.
Contacted AA breakdown recovery they came out guy diagnosed faulty ignition coil on number 4 cylinder he replaced coil and erased all fault codes in engine management system ,engine started and run with no further issues .I have since purchased another coil to keep as a spare should the other coils fail ,coil purchased from European car parts I think I paid about £24.00

Pedro

Reaction score
I had a simular issue with my 1.6 GT 200 ,
Loss of power ,running really rough ,fan running at full speed along with red dash warning light on.
Contacted AA breakdown recovery they came out guy diagnosed faulty ignition coil on number 4 cylinder he replaced coil and erased all fault codes in engine management system ,engine started and run with no further issues .I have since purchased another coil to keep as a spare should the other coils fail ,coil purchased from European car parts I think I paid about £24.00
Has your had a new pump?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Most who have these issues chase the fault with coils and plugs but generally it’s the HP pump failing.