What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Low Petrol, Eco Mode

A

Anonymous

Hi all. When I was test driving a 156 GT petrol, the low fuel warning light was on (dealer being cheap!) and the car went into some sort of eco mode where the car was able to limp back to the garage without using much throttle power. Is this a normal feature, or should I be worried? I have read the manual cover to cover and couldn't find anything relating to what I experienced.

2retro

Reaction score
Yes it's a normal and useful/annoying feature that cannot be turned off.

I guess in your case it activated due to the low fuel as you say and let you get back safely so all good.

Other times it will activate itself when the car decides the battery charge is at a certain level so that there is always enough power to start the car, etc. Sounds good in theory but in Summer I often find I'll be sat in the car with the windows down (engine off) and when I want to put them up again Eco mode will be on and I have to start the car to put the windows up - how exactly is that economical?! lol

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hi all I'm back from my Thailand adventures :cool:

Ross, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR !

I don't think you meant the Eco mode 2Retro mentioned. That is a mode that saves the battery from draining too far.

The limp home mode you were asking about is a feature in the RCZ that enables the car to get home/to a dealer when there is a fault detected so you do not cause any further damage to the engine by using high revs.

If this car entered the limp home mode, there is something wrong with it, it would not do that simply due to low fuel.

2retro

Reaction score
Welcome back DK!

Yes, I think we may have our wires crossed on this one then.

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys. Any chance it could be due to low charge, if the car has been sitting on the forecourt for a while without being moved or started? I don't recall seeing any engine warning lights as I was driving it back to the dealership. Just a low fuel warning flashing.

renegade79

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Hi all I'm back from my Thailand adventures :cool:

Ross, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR !

I don't think you meant the Eco mode 2Retro mentioned. That is a mode that saves the battery from draining too far.

The limp home mode you were asking about is a feature in the RCZ that enables the car to get home/to a dealer when there is a fault detected so you do not cause any further damage to the engine by using high revs.

If this car entered the limp home mode, there is something wrong with it, it would not do that simply due to low fuel.
welcome back.. i was wondering where you'd got to!!

Back to OP, i agree with dkz5745. sounds like timing issues to me which caused the car to go into limp mode. i wouldn't touch this car....

frankvdb

Reaction score
If it's an engine problem, also the check engine light will come on and there will be some error message (usually "engine fault, repair needed" in the display.
If that's not the case, this may still be some ECO mode.

A

Anonymous

Eco-mode has nothing to do with your turbo it should kick in at all times, it is to save power to the battery if you leave something turned on.