What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Low fuel rail pressure

Curly

Reaction score
Hi all
Have 2016 RCZ Coupe 1.6ltr petrol 156 THP 16v

this car mostly runs like a dream. However, recently it entered limp mode after almost stalling on a busy road.
I tracked the issue via Bluetooth ODI. Code p0087 fuel rail/system pressure too low.

I’ve been looking for the cars fuel filter in order to replace. Can’t see it also can the HPFP be rebuilt?
Thanks Jack

Pedro

Reaction score
The fuel pump is probably dying as per code P0087 & there is no fuel filter on the cars sold on the European markets
Their is a guy on ebay who refurbs the pumps

Curly

Reaction score
The fuel pump is probably dying as per code P0087 & there is no fuel filter on the cars sold on the European markets
Their is a guy on ebay who refurbs the pumps
Ok thanks hoping to identify the HPFP model that is fitted to the 2016 RCZ 156tHP Petrol engine.
as the engine is manufactured by Prince engines. They are used in Mini Cooper S, Citrons and BMW. So I’d assume there will be someone in Australia supplying reconditioned units.

Curly

Reaction score
Update
My RCZ was running with an intermittent HPFP. It would reach 700psi and get me from a to b. However, it now only achieves 95psi. Now the engine runs poorly. I plan to remove it this Saturday and rebuild it after watching a YouTube clip on how to get them running again.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Update
My RCZ was running with an intermittent HPFP. It would reach 700psi and get me from a to b. However, it now only achieves 95psi. Now the engine runs poorly. I plan to remove it this Saturday and rebuild it after watching a YouTube clip on how to get them running again.
Let us know how you get on

Charlie1875

Reaction score
sounds very Like the high pressure fuel pump is failing rather than failed, very common issue, I’ve had 5 or 6 rebuilt by a guy called Mike on eBay, from Winsford Cheshire, all sales cars and never had a problem afterwards, same day turn around also.
hope that helps.

Curly

Reaction score
removed HPFP and found the oil chamber was full of petrol. This confirmed the pump had failed could only offer the fuel rail low pressure fuel. One of the pistons springs had a small ring of metal that had broke away and was loose at the bottom of the bore. Removed it and cleaned all parts as best I could..
unfortunately I damaged one of the bigger oRing while reassembling. I removed the ball bearing and with the new oRing I managed to reseat the the swash plate along with pistons soaked in compressor oil. Flipped i over and allowed air to leak from oil hole that holds the ball bearing. Left it sit for 30mins and punched ball bearing back in place. When refitting the pump to cam opening I found I couldn’t tighten the high pressure fuel line. Had to untighten HPFP mount screws to allow pump to be manipulated so the thread of fuel line nut could grab its corresponding thread. Tighten mount screws and eventually reconnected everything. And started engine. Instantly it had more rev response. My obd2 app showed the pump was around 700-750 psi at ideal and didn’t drop as it did previously. The engine is running slightly rough but has power. Two things I was unable to repair while the pump was open was the oRings to the pistons bellows as I need a special tool to open them. And the diaphragm of the expansion chamber remained at 27mm. Should be 22-24mm.
not take car for a run as yet. Will tomorrow.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one for giving it a go, with the guy on eBay doing a repair service it’s obviously something that can be fixed you just need the parts and the tools 👍🏻