What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Loss of turbo - engine fault

A

Anonymous

Hello all

I was driving home today doing about 40 km/h when the engine warning light flicked on, message engine fault - repair needed. and the turbo has gone; i just get "normal" acceleration when i put my foot down, not the usual turbo assissted acceleration (limp mode).

My universal obd2 scan tool give me P1030 code.

After 2 hours, engine warning light goes off, and turbo works well.

Anyone got any ideas?

Peugeot RCZ 1.6 THP 200 (16900km)

A

Anonymous

Google says Intake manifold air control valve position sensor - lower limit not reached

A

Anonymous

For the second time, I am now experiencing a loss of power when pulling away in first gear. Will be very closely monitoring before ANOTHER potential trip to my dealer!!

A

Anonymous

STOP PRESS !!!!!
The fault code is not what Google says.........
P1030 is a fault in the variable valve lift system coherance.

You need an ECU update

A

Anonymous

ECU update be damned. This sounds like the classic THP camchaim/chain tensioner problem. The chain stretches, and/or the tensioner is too weak, which puts the timing out. Result is that the engine management system disables the turbo to prevent any damage, and it feels like the turbo's failed. In some cases a new camchain/tensioner cures the problem, but not always - and if not, you're in for a world of pain.

A

Anonymous

I Had this problem a few weeks back. Dealer put new variable valve motor on. Had another fault a few days later, took to dealer on monday and they changed the temperature sensor. day after my engine fault message back on with same code for variable valve fault. The car luckily is still under warranty.

Sanity

Reaction score
Well here we go...
I also got that p1030 error code and limp mode on today :/
I am still under warranty but the dealer is like 200km away. Did you guys who got this fault get it sorted and what was done?

I did test the var again and it seems to run fine but the error message is still there and I am not able to reset it with my obd2 reader.

Any help is appriciated!

Sanity

Reaction score
Ok. Code reset done and car seems ok for the moment!
Also did the ECU reset and been driving around 300km today with several stops/hard acceleration/slow driving in town and all seems ok :)
Knock on wood, fingers crossed etc :p

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Agree with gar074 - this sounds like a chain stretch or timing gear shift. The ECU can't compensate anymore, so disables the turbo.

This needs top end engine work to sort out new chain/tensioned/pulleys etc.

The good news is - once fixed I don't believe anyone has had a recurrence. However, to limit costs (I guess), there appears to be a script the dealers have to go through.

I suggest you go back to him and show him a few of the posts here and from DS3/mini forums and tell him you understand its Peugeot policy but that he really needs to look at the timing gear and fix that, using the latest parts.

Sanity

Reaction score
Well the p1030 fault code has nothing to do with the chain or tensioner so I believe that's not the problem with mine.
Anyway, All has been fine since the ecu reset thursday morning. I have driven many miles since and no problem so far...
:thumbup:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Well, the variable valve coherence loss is caused by a relative shift between inlet and exhaust cams - in turn caused by a shift in the timing system, i.e. the sprockets, chain and tensioners.

Some people have had the actuator/solenoid associated with VVT system replaced, in the forlorn hope that this will restore VVT function.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case in many instances, and modified cam/chain components have bee developed to overcome this design weakness - which, by the way, is the fact that there is no dowel/key to keep the sprockets aligned with the cam shafts, just bolt tension. When they slip, the VVT adjustment runs out of room to work, hence the 'loss of coherence' message and turbo shut down.

Many, many people have had numerous repairs, only for the fault to return in a few days or weeks (in my case for an '08 207 GTI, less than one day after the first 'repair'), then eventually run out of sensors to replace and either admit defeat or get down to the real fix of sorting out the chain, tensioners and sprockets. They don't like doing it first off because it's labour-intensive, needs special tools and is expensive.

Sanity

Reaction score
Many thanks for clearing that out for me :thumbup:
I'll talked to the nearest Peugeot dealer and he told me (after I described what you said here) that it's probably an issue with the chain/tensioner and that I should leave the car to them for fix.
As I am under warranty from my other dealer (also Peugeot) They are now in talks about me leaving the car for checks and fix at the nearest service point.

Sanity

Reaction score
Went in for checks today and got it back few hours ago.
They found nothing wrong. As I said earlier the car has been running fine with no errors since I did the ECU reset almost two weeks ago.
No Notable noise from engine and no error codes reported.

Pretty happy about that but also a little confused :eusa-think:
Lets hope it was a minor glitch as they told me at Peugeot.

Sanity

Reaction score
10 months later and around 10 000km later the car still works like a charm :)
No error codes whatsoever and I am wondering if it's really a pug? :lol:

This is one of the most fun to drive cars that I have ever owned :)
Only thing missing is a 7th gear for that motorway driving.

renegade79

Reaction score
Sanity said:

Don't jinx it :lol:

Sanity

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
Sanity said:

Don't jinx it :lol:

Hahaha true :D :lol:

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys

How do you do an ECU reset, I think mine also needs this, since had cam chain/tensioner/ guides / sprockets etc changed
it still seem sluggish and also struggles at tick over when cold, if stalls says cam postition sensor or coil packs, i have changed the coil packs so just wondered if it just needs a reset, (checked my invoice for the cam chain no mention of ECU reset)
cheers
Vince

Sanity

Reaction score
Using the remote, lock and unlock the car three times in a row.

Take the car for a kilometre drive.

Turn the car completely off and lock.

Unlock and start the car

A

Anonymous

Thanks Sanity

I will try this, I thought you had to do it with a computer or something by a garage