What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Loss of power when pulling off

A

Anonymous

I generaly drive my car sensibly but have been known to pull away hard and fast at junctions and roundabouts if a cheeky gap presents itself. However, rather worryingly, I have on a few occasions found that, when trying to accelerate (reasonably) hard in first gear, the engine is sluggish and unresponsive. it almost feels as though I am trying to pull away in third rather than first. This is embarassing :oops: :oops: and potential dangerous as i limp away...usually the engine picks up if i slam into second and gun the revs. Any suggestions what this may be? turbo or timing issues? i had originally taken this occasional problem as part of the engine running itself in but it's now almost a month old and with 1000 miles on the clock. This issue is the third problem i have had since taken ownership of my brand new RCZ. I LOVE the car but this is getting very waring and tempering my enjoyment. Never bought a new car before now and am finding none of the associated trouble free joys I had expected!!! :thumbdown: :cry:

Also...this 1000 mile service that is mentioned by others was never offered/mentioned to me.

RCZ1

Reaction score
mrizzle, I've not experienced a loss of power or unresponsiveness in 1st gear. When going from 2nd to 3rd when being heavy on the throttle I have noticed there is a slight lag before the car responds (but having said that this seems to have gone since fitting the K&N filter).

With regards to the 1000 mile service, it was mentioned to me when I took delivery of the car, in fact, they booked the car in there and then for a months time. For both of the issues you raise, I would give your dealer a call and let them take a look at it.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
mrizzle, I've not experienced a loss of power or unresponsiveness in 1st gear. When going from 2nd to 3rd when being heavy on the throttle I have noticed there is a slight lag before the car responds (but having said that this seems to have gone since fitting the K&N filter).

With regards to the 1000 mile service, it was mentioned to me when I took delivery of the car, in fact, they booked the car in there and then for a months time. For both of the issues you raise, I would give your dealer a call and let them take a look at it.

Thanks for your advice RCZ1!! I think I'll probably fit the air filter after having read your very helpful illustrated thread. However, I might be as well waiting until after I have contacted my dealer and asked them to have a look at it.

One question, does fitting the air filter affect your warranty at all?

A

Anonymous

Fitting a K&N filter does not affect your warranty at all, I have fitted one on each of my last 6 cars.

A

Anonymous

A guy from Belmont phoned me to book my car in for it's warranty check, usually 4-6 weeks after delivery.
Remember it is JUST a check ... not a service. They're just checking fluid levels etc, checking things haven't sprung a leak or anything. I'd take that opportunity to mention the occasional lack of guts ... in the meantime ... no more driving like you stole it!!! :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

Best thing is to mention it. kemnay seemed real wise to the car when I took mine in. Id hae good confidence with them sorting any niggles

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Best thing is to mention it. kemnay seemed real wise to the car when I took mine in. Id hae good confidence with them sorting any niggles

Cheers figo! I sent them an email today. Slightly aggrieved that this is now the third issue that I've had. Still...they do say bad luck comes in threes so hopefully this will be the last of my problems! Did it take long for them to rectify it for you?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?urlof5

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
I generaly drive my car sensibly but have been known to pull away hard and fast at junctions and roundabouts if a cheeky gap presents itself. However, rather worryingly, I have on a few occasions found that, when trying to accelerate (reasonably) hard in first gear, the engine is sluggish and unresponsive. it almost feels as though I am trying to pull away in third rather than first. This is embarassing :oops: :oops: and potential dangerous as i limp away...usually the engine picks up if i slam into second and gun the revs. Any suggestions what this may be? turbo or timing issues? i had originally taken this occasional problem as part of the engine running itself in but it's now almost a month old and with 1000 miles on the clock. This issue is the third problem i have had since taken ownership of my brand new RCZ. I LOVE the car but this is getting very waring and tempering my enjoyment. Never bought a new car before now and am finding none of the associated trouble free joys I had expected!!! :thumbdown: :cry:

Also...this 1000 mile service that is mentioned by others was never offered/mentioned to me.

I took delivery of an ex. Peugeot UK RCZ 200 6 weeks ago and can confirm your sluggish and uresponsive problem when pulling away as mine does exactly the same sort of thing occasionally. No warning at all that it going to happen. Pop it into first, drop the clutch and zilch, you ain't going nowhere fast. Drop it into second and it comes into life.

I'm having gear select issue which I have been going through with the dealer. problem not resolved yet but I haven't mentioned this problem to them as I thought it might be something I am doing to cause the loss of power.

I know this probably hasn't helped in explaining the issue you have but I thought I'd let you know that you are not alone.

Kev

A

Anonymous

Hey there!Sorry to hear that you are also suffering a similar problem. I fitted a K&N filter myself last weekend and have not experienced the issue again...strange :eusa-think: I am not convinced that this has resolved the issue as, as you say, it happens without any notice. I will keep you updated if it happens again though!!

A

Anonymous

May I add that its mapped to not give max power in 1st gear and even on my auto box its the same, the power is better in second and third, than in first.

A

Anonymous

Correct me if I am wrong but 1st gear is only to get the car rolling, if you want a faster start surely you start off in 2nd gear.

A

Anonymous

bradshaw said:
Correct me if I am wrong but 1st gear is only to get the car rolling, if you want a faster start surely you start off in 2nd gear.
Not if you have the HDi though. That engine really does require the 1st gear to set off, regardless of how big a rush you are in. It will go like stink despite this :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Not if you have the HDi though. That engine really does require the 1st gear to set off, regardless of how big a rush you are in. It will go like stink despite this :thumbup:

I always utilise 2nd gear if I want to pull away fast i.e. at a roundabout / junction / etc.
You just got to give it plenty of heart and be ready on that clutch :auto-car:
(Hdi)

Anyone looking for very fast standing starts has most certainly purchased the wrong car for doing this (any model).
This car is more of a "cruiser" than a "straight line hooligan".