What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Looks like we are getting blasted with SPAM again.

stagger321

Reaction score
Seems we have a new raft of SPAM mails coming in (Detailing and Members Gallery folders)
Someone got a grudge, or are we wide open to abuse?

A

Anonymous

Almost all forums are open to some degree of spam but we have some effective ways of dealing with them when they pop their heads up. However, can I also encourage people to report such posts as they're a useful way of drawing our attention to them too. Thanks for vigilance everyone!

A

Anonymous

Still ok at my side.Maybe there isnt a proper filter on site somehow?

A

Anonymous

Lots of crap tonight..and to all folk...it has nothing to do with wrapper.. before you all start paranoid stuff.

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
wrapper said:
Lots of crap tonight..and to all folk...it has nothing to do with wrapper.. before you all start paranoid stuff.

Stop commenting on it in the threads. When we delete the spammer the thread doesn't get deleted if you comment in it and we have to do it manually.

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully most of this has now been dealt with.

Looks like a Russian spammer has used a program to automatically register a few hundred accounts and then gradually these accounts will automatically post spam links across the forum.

I've spent the last few hours systematically banning these accounts on the basis of when they were registered and where they originated from. I may have missed a few (banned and deleted over 300 user accounts so far) so there may still be a few "sleepers" that pop up with spam over the coming weeks but the worst of it is now over.

I've also changed the current Question & Answer anti-spam measure when registered to a what's known as a visual captcha. The captcha system was defeated by spammers some time ago and a Q&A was deemed the best method but now that this has been defeated and the captcha method updated I've reverted back to that.

Apologies to everyone for the mess and thanks to our moderating team for doing such a good job of dealing with these and to everyone who vigilantly reported any spam posts and threads.

renegade79

Reaction score
Evil Derboy said:
Hopefully most of this has now been dealt with.

Looks like a Russian spammer has used a program to automatically register a few hundred accounts and then gradually these accounts will automatically post spam links across the forum.

I've spent the last few hours systematically banning these accounts on the basis of when they were registered and where they originated from. I may have missed a few (banned and deleted over 300 user accounts so far) so there may still be a few "sleepers" that pop up with spam over the coming weeks but the worst of it is now over.

I've also changed the current Question & Answer anti-spam measure when registered to a what's known as a visual captcha. The captcha system was defeated by spammers some time ago and a Q&A was deemed the best method but now that this has been defeated and the captcha method updated I've reverted back to that.

Apologies to everyone for the mess and thanks to our moderating team for doing such a good job of dealing with these and to everyone who vigilantly reported any spam posts and threads.

Good job!! :thumbup:

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good job lads. As I said there will be a few hat pop up but hopefully we've got most of them so the forum shouldnt be blitzed with loads of rubbish.

stagger321

Reaction score
Evil Derboy said:
Good job lads. As I said there will be a few hat pop up but hopefully we've got most of them so the forum shouldnt be blitzed with loads of rubbish.
We're off again boys.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Please stop commenting on the spam threads. We have to delete these comments manually after we deleting the spam accounts. :law-policered: