What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Looking to buy one of those beauties

Seakay

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I decided it is time to upgrade my 207cc.

It has had a lot of issues tho and still smokes blue so I just want to get rid of it by now.

I fell in love with the rcz, maintenance should be cheap (308 is very common in france) and diesel seems to be bulletproof.

Would it be recommended to buy one with let's say 100 000km ? Or is that to much, i have around 8-9k€ budget.

I'm looking forward to hear from your experience with the car, and have as much info as possible before I decide to buy it

Thanks

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I decided it is time to upgrade my 207cc.

It has had a lot of issues tho and still smokes blue so I just want to get rid of it by now.

I fell in love with the rcz, maintenance should be cheap (308 is very common in france) and diesel seems to be bulletproof.

Would it be recommended to buy one with let's say 100 000km ? Or is that to much, i have around 8-9k€ budget.

I'm looking forward to hear from your experience with the car, and have as much info as possible before I decide to buy it

Thanks
Over in Europe prices seem quite high compared to what we’re paying over here in the UZ, I would say buy the best looked after car you can afford irrespective of mileage

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there and welcome to the forum
I think 🤔 is will not go wrong with the Hdi I have seen them for sale here in UK with 170,000 miles and more have seen one with 240, 000 miles so engine is a good one.. Just check out the jacking points and middle brake light..
Don't buy the first one you see unless it's in fantastic condition..
Happy hunting and let you know what you find... Rcz....
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Co

Ian J.

Reaction score
Service history is more important than mileage unless you do high miles per year.
I'm on my 3rd RCZ and only ever had one problem. All 3 were petrol 1.6 engines but I've heard the diesel is better, my wife has a 3008 GT 2.0 diesel and it's quite rapid.

Seakay

Reaction score
Service history is more important than mileage unless you do high miles per year.
I'm on my 3rd RCZ and only ever had one problem. All 3 were petrol 1.6 engines but I've heard the diesel is better, my wife has a 3008 GT 2.0 diesel and it's quite rapid.

So you are saying that even the petrol one is reliable ? There is a thp156 sitting at a low price with full service history and the garage is willing to do some videos

I'm not driving a lot in a year, maybe 15km a day and some big trips every 3 months to the netherlands so idk if diesel would be ideal

As i mostly look to buy cars in germany (better looked after as in france) service history is a must as they have no laws with turning km down

Seakay

Reaction score
I'm sorry for that much questions, but I really don't want to buy a lemon

As a thp would be better for my use, if the timing chain hasn't be done at low km does this mean it doesn't have the problem ? And if it has been done, does the problem come back ?

I do hear the engines after 2011 are more reliable is this true ?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The timing chain and tensioner were changed for the facelift MkII in 2013. An upgraded unit was fitted to those. Any MkI that has had the timing chain & tensioner kit replaced will have had the upgraded unit fitted, so the chances of the issue recurring is very low. If it is a MkI and hasn’t had it done, have a good listen to it on cold startup. If it’s a bit tractor like, it is probably ready to be replaced.
There are some MkII’s that have had timing chains replaced, but then there are Mercedes, Range Rovers etc etc that have too.
As for post 2011 engines being better, I haven’t heard that one. There wasn’t particularly anything wrong with the early (pre 2011) engines, just the chain & tensioner that was a common fault really.
There are a few other things that crop up across the range, such as various sensors, Jacking Points (you just examine these before parting with your well earned) High Pressure Fuel Pump, but just be sensible and ask the right questions before committing.

Seakay

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your reply! What you say is true, a problem is always possible you just never hear of the good working ones :)I will defentely ask a lot of pictures of a car before seing it ! And by now it is just time to find the perfect one and try to sell my 207cc

Would you be able to tell the chain noise if the seller sends a video ? And if yes could i share it here to be sure ? Since the 207 i'm extra careful with buying cars

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It’s just a rattle, you should be able to tell if it sounds different when it starts to how it does after running for a while. If your not sure you could post a link to the video on here & someone will be able to advise you.

Bobby D

Reaction score
Hi, Just bought a 2012 automatic, 60,000 miles which defo has a tractor sound on start up.At first I though it was a heat shield but it stops after 10 seconds!! Is it safe to drive? Can I change timing chain and tensioner myself? How many parts will I need to change?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
A competent mechanic could change the timing kit but I believe there are specific tools required to time it back up.

Seakay

Reaction score
Hi, Just bought a 2012 automatic, 60,000 miles which defo has a tractor sound on start up.At first I though it was a heat shield but it stops after 10 seconds!! Is it safe to drive? Can I change timing chain and tensioner myself? How many parts will I need to change?

Check some videos on youtube how to change it in the thp engine, but I must say I wouldn't change a timing belt/chain myself, a lot can go wrong