What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Locking brakes?

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone else had this problem, but i think you have :D

When leaving the car outside over night and when taking off in the morning the brakes are stuck to the discs and there's a quiet banging noise when you start moving and then they let go and everything is back to normal.

Is it supposed to do that because of humidity so they "rust" shut over night? I had this on most of my cars particularly the 406 was good at doing this but i thought the RCZ would be different seeing it's a "new" car and all :?

A

Anonymous

It's happened to me a couple of times after washing and not driving till a few hours later

A

Anonymous

Yea same here, its the rear brakes jammed on by the hand brake and it makes a loud bang when they let go.
Once it was on so hard the Mrs could not get the car to move (not big enough right boot)

Now we know we leave it in Park and the hand brake off if its going to be a while before we move it.

Paul141

A

Anonymous

Me too, Gonna mention it next week when car goes in for service.

A

Anonymous

Tomas_90 said:
Is there something they can do about it then?
I very much doubt it. Not at all sure what the problem is with it to be honest :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Tomas_90 said:
Is there something they can do about it then?

They? No.

You? Park without handbrake on a flat place with the first gear engaged.

A

Anonymous

Its just a case of surface rust from any moisture that is around. When it drys it causes the pads to stick to the disc. My top tips are, after washing the car, park in gear with the handbrake off until it is dry.

hanswuk

Reaction score
It can happen on any car - not just RCZ's - especially when the car hasn't been used for a few days.

(Welcome back Chuzzbutt!)

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Me too, Gonna mention it next week when car goes in for service.

Happens to me too, namely when it's been cold/wet or washedn- be interested to see if they offer to fix and how!!

A

Anonymous

Happened to me every time from moving off, unless it was parked on a downward hill....didnt bother me though :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Want to echo the sentiment expressed by Hanswuk. It's great to see you back Chuzz mate. I hope everything is ok buddy!!

As for the locking brakes, yup I experience this after washing the car or if it's been left sitting in pouring rain etc. It doesn't really bother me to be honest and it gives me a chuckle seeing Jen jump when it happens and she's in the car. I'm not convinced that there is a solution for this but be interested to learn of any suggestions.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Want to echo the sentiment expressed by Hanswuk. It's great to see you back Chuzz mate. I hope everything is ok buddy!!

As for the locking brakes, yup I experience this after washing the car or if it's been left sitting in pouring rain etc. It doesn't really bother me to be honest and it gives me a chuckle seeing Jen jump when it happens and she's in the car. I'm not convinced that there is a solution for this but be interested to learn of any suggestions.

Wind up merchant........... :beer: doin that to Jen :lol: Suggestions leave the handbrake off and leave in gear only :lol:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
mrizzle said:

Wind up merchant........... :beer: doin that to Jen :lol: Suggestions leave the handbrake off and leave in gear only :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I like your thinking!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hatman

Reaction score
If you reverse slightly before driving off, bearing in mind reverse is a lower gear ratio, it will release the brakes easier and cause less damage to the drivetrain.

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Oh well it doesn't bother me either really but i was just curious :)

Leaving the handbrake on at all times is just something that has grown in so i always do it.

Back when i had my two 405's i never used the handbrake resulting in it never worked when you actually did need it, cause it hadn't been used. So ever since that i started using it all the time so make sure stuff was working as it was supposed to.

RCZ1

Reaction score
It only happens to me in the winter months. I wash the car then put it in the garage until the following morning. I have to reverse out the garage, this is the only time it does it and only in cold weather.

A

Anonymous

It happened on my Toyota not had it on the RCZ

Opal white GT with type 1 matt stripe.

A

Anonymous

It's happened a couple of times on my RCZ. Not often though.

The first time it happened on my last car I thought I had run over a cat or something.