What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL

Flanners

Reaction score
No, but have had lightened flywheel on another car and it transformed the driveability of the car, more responsive etc. I had the DM flywheel replaced under warranty on my R but if I had to pay for a clutch job etc after the warranty expires I would be putting a SMF lightened flywheel in the car for sure Pug1Off have one for the RCZ

indoldn

Reaction score
Thanks Pal, Bought a flywheel from Pug1Off as they ship to Australia.
Please post you experience once you replaced as curious to go down a SMF when the time comes.

If I remember correctly you changed your suspension to Bilstein B6s didn't you? How are you finding them?

French Letter

Reaction score
Please post you experience once you replaced as curious to go down a SMF when the time comes.

If I remember correctly you changed your suspension to Bilstein B6s didn't you? How are you finding them?

The RCZ is currently waiting on a rear torsion beam from France. When that is fitted so will the Bilstein's and the flywheel, with a new clutch.

That's going to be around August, so I will get back to you then.

Cheers.

Claret63

Reaction score
No point period with a lightened flywheel for a road car, there will be no gains with something like a RCZ, or any other car for that matter running the same power, setting of from a standing start will be harder, more chance of stalling the car amongst other problems.

Track car maybe an advantage as you want the engine to spin up faster, but this will require a lot more skill than you can imagine, manufacturers fit heavy flywheels for a good reason.
Best to do your research than listen to pub talk.

lfe

Reaction score
No point period with a lightened flywheel for a road car, there will be no gains with something like a RCZ, or any other car for that matter running the same power, setting of from a standing start will be harder, more chance of stalling the car amongst other problems.

Track car maybe an advantage as you want the engine to spin up faster, but this will require a lot more skill than you can imagine, manufacturers fit heavy flywheels for a good reason.
Best to do your research than listen to pub talk.

Fully agree !

Are you going to change a sophisticated dual mass flywheel for something that will generate more vibration for the car and transmission?

Flanners

Reaction score
Fully agree !

Are you going to change a sophisticated dual mass flywheel for something that will generate more vibration for the car and transmission?
Yes....in a performance car, I put an SMF in my GTV V6 and have one in my VX220...the lightened SMF totally transformed the driveability and performance of both of the cars for the better. The SMF advantages for me far outweighs any minor negatives..the DMF began to fail in my R at circa 30K..many owners dont seem to even realise their DMF is failing and the consequences of such...personally i think that DMFs fitted to many marques/models are not up to the job/of such poor quality, over-engineered and not needed or necessary in all the applications fitted together with their premature failure in large numbers; costing £££s.

Last edited:

Flanners

Reaction score
@French Letter did you end up getting the lightended flywheel fitted? Keen to know your experience.