What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

LED replacement bulbs

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I have seen that several forum members have said their RCZ's have led stop/tail lights & indicators.
I thought I heard there was some kind of "canbus" issue in doing this? ( I have no idea what this means).

I get my mk2 GT200 RCZ tomorrow. It has xenon headlights but I am interested in replacing the other bulbs with LED's as long as it doesn't involve messing with the wiring/electrics.

What kind of led bulb would I need & where is the best/(cheapest) place to get them

Any advice would be appreciated :beer:

A

Anonymous

The LED threads that you have read really relate to the Mk1s. These did not have LED DRLs like your Mk2 does hence why many owners sought retrofitted LED options.

You may find, depending on whether or not you selected the "Vision Pack" that you wish to upgrade your headlight bulbs though.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy your handover tomorrow (...you will) and are prepared for a lot of additional attention on the roads! :D

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
CANBUS is the widely used communication system that all modern cars use to interconnect and run all the systems in the car. Where the terms is used (commonly) in relation to LED bulbs is because LEDs typically draw less current and use a lower voltage than a standard filament bulb. This means that when an LED bulb is fitted where a filament bulb should be, that the CANBUS system thinks the drop in current drawn is because the bulb has gone out, so it shows an error message on the dash to tell you that the bulb needs replaced.

Typically there's two ways to combat this. You can buy LED bulbs with resistors built in or you can wire in a resistor yourself. The resistor makes up the difference between how much current the LED draws and how much a normal filament bulb draws and so the car still thinks that a functioning filament bulb is in place. From personal experience I recommend buying a bulb with resistors already in place. Resistors generate heat, but then so does a filament bulb so that in itself is nothing to worry about, however if you decide to fit your own resistors and get it wrong you may end up generating too much heat and melt something.

The second method is to recode the car using an ECU programming tool so that it no longer looks for bulb errors. The official tool for Peugeot is called Lexia 3 but it's very expensive, however you can buy clone versions on ebay for a good deal cheaper. The clone versions aren't strictly legal though as they may infringe copyrights. They do they job but's down to you personal conscience whether to buy one or pay full price.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Big thank you to mrizzle & derboy I had no idea how good the lights look without any tinkering. Yes it does have the vision pack so xenons that go round corners at the front, so that's covered anyway.
It does feel a lot like all my Christmases have come at once.
I can't stop going outside and looking at it :D and yes, I have already had several neighbours round to find out what exactly what it is.

The. Only thing I haven't been able to figure out is how to get the spoiler to work automatically. The handbook says it will go up at 50 mph & then extend further at 95 mph. The problem is, from the drivers seat it is difficult to see if it has extended, but I am pretty sure it only went up when I pressed the manual button guess I might be doing something wrong.

The car was a Peugeot UK execs car, it is a 63 plate and has an NG4 ? Sat Nav but I have not had chance to check out the software version yet.

Can't wait for tomorrow so I can go outside and look at it again :D

Thanks again for your help, there may be a few more posts from me until I get completely sorted

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Generally, the driver can't see the 'stage 1' spoiler lift, only 'stage 2'. Since that involves non-legal UK road speeds, it's a bit awkward to do.

There have been two suggested ways to verify it's working:

1) get someone to follow you down a dual carriage way or similar and confirm it rises and falls

2) lift the spoiler manually while stationary & place some tissue paper or confetti-like paper under it. Close it again, then take it for a spin, at speeds above where it should lift. If it's gone when you get back, the spoiler must have lifted automatically.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Cheers Pete :clap: , I think it's tissue time tomorrow! :beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Just found this thread, one of my first ever posts. Seems such a long time ago. I even got the head type unit wrong.

Bobby D

Reaction score
Are you still popping out to see your car!!IMG_20200712_141720490.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200712_150207770_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200712_150207770_HDR.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 6

DKZ5745

Reaction score
From the day I got it, never stopped looking at it at every opportunity 👍

92B8CB9E-744B-4E0B-9EB0-A8C068CE3BCA.jpeg