What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Leaky valve cover gasket?

A

Anonymous

Hey guys, unfortunately it seems to be problem after problem for my RCZ as of late :( I now believe I have a leaky valve cover gasket. A check engine light came on last week as I was pulling out of a car park and the RCZ had a really rough idle and was spluttering, much to my horror. I went to get the issue diagnosed, only for the check engine light to have gone off by the time I got there, and it has been running fine since (touch wood). However I noticed when looking in the engine bay doing my usual checks last week and since, that the engine has some oil seepage around where the valve cover gasket is (I have tried to upload an image, but for some reason I'm not able to at the minute)

I'm assuming this could well be a dodgy valve cover gasket, maybe also going into the spark plugs causing occasional rough idling and misfiring. Has anyone here had any experience in replacing it if so how easy of a job is it, and where could I get the parts from? I'm happy to attempt it myself if it isn't too complicated to avoid ridiculous garage costs. Also I'm due to make a 300 mile round trip this weekend. So long as I keep an eye on the oil levels (bearing in mind it is a small seep, not a flow of oil coming out anywhere as far as I can tell, but enough to make the valve cover appear wet), will it be alright to drive and sort as soon as I'm back ?

Thanks guys :)

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, which I noticed after my dealer had done the replacement timing kit. I should have mentioned it then but after two years I decided to let them replace it at a cost of £80 all in that was a couple of months ago and to be honest it’s still weeping a little not as bad as before but there is definitely oil residue weeping out. My car has not run rough at all though and the area around the coils does have oil residue,so I think your rough running will be something unconnected to the rocker cover gasket leak.

f.demaio

Reaction score
Hi Guys I have had this problem twice changing the gasket. In the end it was the rocket cover it self that needed to be replaced have changed it with a new gasket haven't had a problem since

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Sounds like a warped rocker cover or incorrect tightening proceedure, ie corner - corner etc.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm keeping a close eye on the oil levels and all seems to be OK, so touch wood it'll be alright for my journey this weekend and then I'll get it looked at after. I'll probably try relaxing the rocker cover and see if that makes a difference first before taking it to get looked at if some of you have done the same as its solved the issue. Does anyone know how I'd go about this or where I can find instructions on how to do it ?

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
I had the same problem since i bought mine.
Last Year i Changed the gasket (set of two) and everything is fine till today
Dont be afraid for oil level its Just a small leak that ONLY makes the cover look dirty