What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Knocking noise at front near side…

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Hi Guys…
Back again….As above knocking noise from front near side the cars been fitted with lowering springs all round also fitted new Balljoints Trackrod ends Droplinks and top strut bearing plates…Taken it to local kwikfit and indy garage both had it up on the ramp usual top n bottom side to side test and can’t find no noise?…
The sound on uneven ground sounds similar to a knocking ball joint or drop link but these are all new…

Plus we checked the springs just in case any snapped but all fine…Any you guys come across this?…Cant think where else to check..

Pedro

Reaction score
Did you do the "Bounce test" on each corner? they other issues that can occur are steering control arms/rack/anti roll bar bushes or even a wheel bearing (rare) on modern cars but can happen
Stupid question but is the suspension geometry in its correct position ie Springs are properly seated & all the changed components torqued up to spec?

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Had an Indy garage do the work so wouldn’t know exactly what has happened so going back in for more tourer look.

Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Guys…
Back again….As above knocking noise from front near side the cars been fitted with lowering springs all round also fitted new Balljoints Trackrod ends Droplinks and top strut bearing plates…Taken it to local kwikfit and indy garage both had it up on the ramp usual top n bottom side to side test and can’t find no noise?…
The sound on uneven ground sounds similar to a knocking ball joint or drop link but these are all new…

Plus we checked the springs just in case any snapped but all fine…Any you guys come across this?…Cant think where else to check..
I have had the same issue on my GT 200 took it for its annual MOT and it failed on a broken front coil spring ,difficult to see until I stripped the strut down put a new spring on no further noises.

Attachments

• C8F2FE32-6A45-4F1B-835D-C50B9CC5136C.jpeg
    C8F2FE32-6A45-4F1B-835D-C50B9CC5136C.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 10

Mikefrank

Reaction score
I have had the same issue on my GT 200 took it for its annual MOT and it failed on a broken front coil spring ,difficult to see until I stripped the strut down put a new spring on no further noises.
As its fitted with lowering springs some of these aftermarket springs do fail that's what I'm starting to think..Looks OK on the car but stripping it all back down is on the cards🥺

lfe

Reaction score
Also if the car has been lowered simply by cutting the springs then the spring loses proper support on the cut side and can bend to the side and make noise.

To do that job properly you need some custom made springs, a bit shorter but a bit stronger.

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Car was fitted with pi springs all round...to be honest I wouldn't dream of cutting springs but thanks for the info..

Pugman

Reaction score
Hi Guys…

Hi I had a similar problem but not with my RCZ a Renault and it turned out to be an engine mounting bolt. I had it at several garages and they couldn’t find anything then it snapped engine landed on drive shaft and broke the drive shaft. Fortunately I was turning a corner at traffic lights so wasn’t doing any speed. Might not be this but worth a check and it’s another thing ruled out. Hope you find the problem. 👍

Pedro

Reaction score
Ruling out a failing wheel bearing- CV joint - ball joint anti roll bar & steering components etc I suspect it must be suspension related when the car is under load & strut mounts can knock their heads off when the car goes over a bump so are they sitting correctly?
Did they test the suspension using the shaker plates?

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Hi Guys….
Yes been on shaker plates with no joy it’s going have to be N/S Strut back off and have a good look..
Cant fault you guys for good info..
Will keep you guys posted👍