What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Key fob stopped working?

BobM

Reaction score
Hi guys, the buttons on my keys have stopped working? I thought it was just the battery at first so I ordered a new one and changed it over. But it is still not working? Any Idea what it could be or do I need to reset it or something after I changing the battery

Cheers Bob

lfe

Reaction score
Tense the springs of the battery contacts a little and clean the contact areas with alcohol and no longer touch them with your fingers.
The electrical connection of that battery is usually problematic.

BobM

Reaction score
Tense the springs of the battery contacts a little and clean the contact areas with alcohol and no longer touch them with your fingers.
The electrical connection of that battery is usually problematic.
Just done this has not worked. I am wondering if it was water damaged or something. Circuit board looks clean. Can't see any damaged resistors ETC. Cannot work it out?

lfe

Reaction score
Just done this has not worked. I am wondering if it was water damaged or something. Circuit board looks clean. Can't see any damaged resistors ETC. Cannot work it out?
With a 2006 Citroen that I had before, with an almost identical key, at the end, I had to solder a fine insulated wire between the battery contact spring and where it should connect in the electronic circuit.

Years later I changed the key casing (they sell it on amazon) and it worked again without a soldered wire, but maybe this won't work for you either.

Perhaps you should take the key to a specialized car key workshop.

BobM

Reaction score
With a 2006 Citroen that I had before, with an almost identical key, at the end, I had to solder a fine insulated wire between the battery contact spring and where it should connect in the electronic circuit.

Years later I changed the key casing (they sell it on amazon) and it worked again without a soldered wire, but maybe this won't work for you either.

Perhaps you should take the key to a specialized car key workshop.
Ill try and swap the case. If not ill take it to a workshop. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: lfe

2retro

Reaction score
If you've put a new battery in you need to reinitialise the keyfob. It tells you how to do it in the owner's manual but here is for convenience. Give that a go first. 👍

REMOTE CONTROL PROBLEM
Following disconnection of the vehicle battery, replacement of the remote control battery or in the event of a remote control malfunction, you can no longer unlock, lock or locate your vehicle.

First of all, use the key in the lock to unlock or lock your vehicle.

Then, reinitialise the remote control.

Reinitialisation:
Switch off the ignition.
Turn the key to position 2 (Ignition on) .
Press the closed padlock immediately for a few seconds.
Switch off the ignition and remove the key from the ignition switch.
The remote control is fully operational again

lfe

Reaction score
If you've put a new battery in you need to reinitialise the keyfob. It tells you how to do it in the owner's manual but here is for convenience. Give that a go first. 👍

REMOTE CONTROL PROBLEM
Following disconnection of the vehicle battery, replacement of the remote control battery or in the event of a remote control malfunction, you can no longer unlock, lock or locate your vehicle.

First of all, use the key in the lock to unlock or lock your vehicle.

Then, reinitialise the remote control.

Reinitialisation:
Switch off the ignition.
Turn the key to position 2 (Ignition on) .
Press the closed padlock immediately for a few seconds.
Switch off the ignition and remove the key from the ignition switch.
The remote control is fully operational again
I think that should refer to old keyfobs, I have disconnected the car battery several times and changed the keyfob battery and it has worked again without doing anything else, except for the poor contact problem explained above. Same with the 2006 Citroen I had.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Worth a try if it’s not working I would have thought. 🤔

BobM

Reaction score
I tried this last night and it did not work. I think there is an issue with the fob. I still have another so I can get by but would much rather two just in case. I will try and swap the case out this week and keep you guys updated.

Thanks for all the help much appreciated.

Pedro

Reaction score
Looks like its not communicating with the car had the same issue with my son's mates Skoda after he dropped it just stopped working did the battery & nothing happened had to get it reprogrammed

BobM

Reaction score
Thanks Pedro tat does seem most likely. I will try change the case if not I'll get it reprogrammed. Seems quite expensive but what can you do.