What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

KEY/FOB CLONING

LeMansEngine

Reaction score
Hello, newbie RCZ owner here.

I understand key hacking is when thieves attack built-in systems that can unlock a car when the key is nearby, without having to press a button on the fob or put a key in the lock etc

Its probably obvious, but can a 2011 RCZ key be cloned/hacked?

My neighbour who is a mechanic was servicing my car and had the key while I was away. Then he messaged me :

"Your car had been broken into. Doors were unlocked. Things just thrown about. Not sure how they got in, doors were ajar. But the last time I was in it. I locked it."

It seems a bit sus, so I figured I'd ask the veteran owners of the same model here, if anyone knows the intricacies of the 2011 model keys/locking system! The alarm never went off either.

Cheers, T

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Motion sensor/Alarm is activated if the car is tampered with as for cloning not heard of any on older cars its the stop/start keyless button system they can apparently download the data off

2retro

Reaction score
The more likely scenario is the neighbour just forgot to lock the car...

LeMansEngine

Reaction score
I see thanks for confirming that, I did think he forgot to lock it / or was trying to minimise blame! He was then telling me that criminals are advanced with their clinic tech these days, but these are my keys as you can see.

Made me wonder if I need some sort of RFID wallet or something as my friend's (keyless) Merc got nicked the same way! 😠

20230511_181045.jpg

LeMansEngine

Reaction score
Motion sensor/Alarm is activated if the car is tampered with as for cloning not heard of any on older cars its the stop/start keyless button system they can apparently download the data off
That's what I thought! 👍