What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

K & N filter

A

Anonymous

Could someone (who has fitted one) please post the part number

ta muckily!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

What are the advantages to installing one of these filters please, I know nothing about engines to be honest?

Cheers....

pete.garratt

Reaction score
The differences are the K&N filters are oil impregnated cotton. The oil sticks to the cotton and the dust sticks to the oil.

Main advantages are:-

1) freer flowing than conventional paper-based original filter, so reduces restriction in air flow to engine. Not really a power increase but prevents engine being starved of air, especially at higher revs, so may feel more 'perky' when driving
2) does not get clogged so easily as usual paper filters, so maintains 'as new' performance for longer (50,000 miles is usually quoted)
3) can be cleaned, re-oiled and re-used

Obviously, they're more expensive to buy and their effectiveness may depend on just how big a restriction the original filter is to any particular engine. Generally, using one of these makes a standard engine more responsive. In a modified engine, using an improved filter may be essential for allowing those modifications to work properly. Apart from replacement filters that fit where the standard one goes, there are other versions that also modify the air inlet pipes. Again, these are aimed at extracting more performance and are used in conjunction with other changes to improve engine performance.

A

Anonymous

So for Mr average RCZ 2.0 HDi driver. Would it be a worthwhile investment or is the standard "good enough" for the job that it has to do?

A

Anonymous

Well the K&N filter goes for around 50k miles before it should be cleaned and re-used whereas a regular air filter should be removed and replaced every 20K or so (depends on how/where you are driving it). K&N filter can be reused. Regular air filters cannot. So I guess it depends on how long you are planning on owning the vehicle as to whether or not it's worthwhile? I suspect it also depends on whether or not you plan on looking after the engine yourself or taking it to a garage as you don't want some cowboy garage chucking out your expensive filter, swapping it for a new one and charging you for doing so.

Once my RCZ is out of warranty I will be looking after it myself (I'm not paying for someone else to change the oil, filters and spark plugs etc when I can do it myself!) and I'm looking to own the vehicle for a good number of years so I will probably look to a K&N filter in the future.

Rue1

Reaction score
I just fitted one to my wife's 207cc turbo ( same filter as one for RCZ) and the improvement in acceleration and responsiveness of engine is noticeable so much so that I have ordered one for my RCZ and will be dropping it off at the dealer tomorrow so they can fit t while they are doing the re-assembly (fitting the filter has no impact on the manufacturers warranty) plus side too is that you don't have to replace it so less waste

A

Anonymous

Cheers all for the replies, might have to pick one up before my delivery then...

A

Anonymous

I've got the K&N filter on my 156hp and the difference is especially obvious high up in the revs. Car sounds less strained and feels "lighter". Then again, it could all be psychological haha. But im happy so i guess that makes it money well spent !

A

Anonymous

I have fitted K&N filters on each of my last 3 cars, definate improvement on my THP 200, dont cost an awful lot more than a replacement paper filter either.

A

Anonymous

I could be tempted with this thread, however when you do a search the RCZ is not one of the options and even using the part number quoted 33-2936 brings up various cars and various prices. So why would a part be different prices against different cars on the same suppliers site?
If I knew for certain what I was doing then I would give it a try

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
I could be tempted with this thread, however when you do a search the RCZ is not one of the options and even using the part number quoted 33-2936 brings up various cars and various prices. So why would a part be different prices against different cars on the same suppliers site?
If I knew for certain what I was doing then I would give it a try

The part number I have listed is the filter I have installed in my RCZ ... Now just buy it for the cheapest price :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Zombie1066 said:
The part number I have listed is the filter I have installed in my RCZ ... Now just buy it for the cheapest price :thumbup:
Last question before I do Zombie..... Is the air filter different on my diesel engine to the one on either of the petrol engined variants ?

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
OO58RON said:
Zombie1066 said:
Last question before I do Zombie..... Is the air filter different on my diesel engine to the one on either of the petrol engined variants ?

This comes directly from K&N in the UK:

2011 PEUGEOT RC-Z 1.6L L4 Petrol - All Air Filter 33-2936

http://www.knfilters.co.uk/search/appsearch.aspx

It does not list one for the Diesel engine.

RCZ1

Reaction score
K & N filter

Can you only have these fitted by your dealer or can you do it yourself? If you can do it yourself, is it easy and straightforward? It's not something I've ever considered before but it does sound like it could be worth having. Sorry for the dumb female questions.

RCZ1

Reaction score
K & N filter

Paul according to the K&N website in theory it can do. Some people have experienced an improvement in mpg others haven't.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
I have run all my performance cars with K&N filters. I trust the fact they remove more particles and provides more efficient air-flow than any paper filter can. It is for these reasons I have used them. If I get improved MPG and/or performance, that to me is a bonus.

Installation is not too difficult, just a little cramped in where it is located (back of engine bay).

A

Anonymous

Zombie1066 said:
I have run all my performance cars with K&N filters. I trust the fact they remove more particles and provides more efficient air-flow than any paper filter can. It is for these reasons I have used them. If I get improved MPG and/or perfromance, that to me is a bonus.

Installation is not too difficult, just a little cramped in where it is located (back of engine bay).

I wonder how much the dealership would charge to install it if I buy one and drop it off before my delivery date?
I know nothing about engines are wouldn't feel comfortable doing it myself to be honest.
Thanks to all who have answered my queries / questions. This is a top notch forum...
Just have to wait until May now for my GT 200 THP....

Cheers,

Paul......

A

Anonymous

It's the kind of job they will rub their hands over and have a big smile on :) I've not bothered to look at the details of the RCZ engine but generally it's just a couple of clips before removing a plastic cover. Taking out the old one and putting a new one in before replacing the plastic cover back in place.

I've always been of the opinion that you should know how your engine works. Probably because I'm an engineer but a quick search on google will give you all the basics you need to know about how an internal combustion engine works.