What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

JBL vs standard system

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Morning all,

Thanks for accepting me into the forum. I'll do a proper introduction once I purchase an RCZ, but I just had a quick question in the meantime.

I'm tossing up between a couple of RCZs (2010/2011 models) for sale. Is the JBL system something worth aiming for or is it not really that different to the standard system? Is it just the speakers that differ as the head units seem to appear the same in pics?

If just the speakers, I assume the standard system could be made much better with the addition of aftermarket speakers, particularly the rear 6x9s?

Unfortunately I don't have the option of listening to both as one of the cars is interstate. I'm just trying to weigh up condition vs km travelled vs options fitted (JBL, xenons etc) to work out the best car to proceed with.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Ben

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I've not heard the JBL system, but I don't mind the standard system - I often just listen to the 200 horses anyway :eusa-whistle:

If you have the option of Xenons, go for that, it's probably the best option offered on the Z. :eusa-think:

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I think I need to try to hear a standard system. Good news if it sounds decent though (in my experience not many of my previous Peugeot's came with great systems).

Yes, we have xenons on some of our other cars and they're fantastic. It seems the cars here either have xenons and the JBL upgrade or halogens and standard stereo.

It's just that I've found a car interstate that is in great condition, but is missing both the stereo and the Xenons.

Appreciate your help.
Ben

DKZ5745

Reaction score
The Xenons in the RCZ are directional so they turn round the corners ahead of you as you steer - I know not all other cars with Xenons have this feature.

I have read on here that many people like the JBL system, some disliking the standard one, others think it's OK. I think it's a matter of personal taste, and how seriously you take your music.

The Xenons on the RCZ seem to be universally loved however.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Thanks mate. I didn't know that about the xenons. Nice one.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I thought that all the Xenons on the RCZ's were directional. I didn't realise some were not.

Was it the earlier ones that weren't, or was it always a choice?

tianorth

Reaction score
Just had a look at the spec sheet, you might be right about directional xenons

RCZ1

Reaction score
They are all directional Xenon lights. The standard stereo in the RCZ is brilliant. One of the best standard stereos in a car that I have heard. I have heard the JBL system which is also good but not enough to warrant the extra in price I don't think.

Jim Lad

Reaction score
I have the directional Zenons & JBL Speakers on mine. The Zenons are certainly good lights, the sound is good from the JBL speakers but have nothing to compare them to the standard.

Reaction score
We have the Jbl and Xenons on one car and not on the other.

A very noticeable difference with both compared to standard. That said, standard is also very good so if I'm driving the magnetic I dont feel like like I'm missing out or a lack of quality.

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Thanks mate, great to hear a direct comparison.

Could I possibly ask what the main difference is between the systems? Is it lack of bass on the standard system or just an improvement in overall sound quality with the JBL?

Reaction score
SilverGTi_6 said:
Thanks mate, great to hear a direct comparison.

Could I possibly ask what the main difference is between the systems? Is it lack of bass on the standard system or just an improvement in overall sound quality with the JBL?

A bit difficult to quantify as it's purely my perception without any science, but when I'm in the JBL car I find the sound richer, more powerful and just a bit clearer. In the non JBl car I can have the volume up full whack without bursting my ear drums. I cant in the Jbl car, as it's just too loud.

Hope that helps.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Don't know if the same is true but I have had 5 x 307cc and the last one had the JBL system in and the differences were higher rated speakers and an amp fitted behind the rear seat, only accessible once you take out the back seat rest.
So, higher output from the amplifier with better speakers = more power, hence why so loud with the JBL system. Far superior in my eyes, or should that be ears !! :dance:

:beer:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
when picking the JBL option you get the following:

10 channel amp with 240 watts
2 pcs mid-high range tweeters
2 bass speakers
2 rear speakers

why the amp provides 10 channels for driving 6 speakers knows JBL only :lol:

Found this in another thread..... Just adds Kudos to the "fitted amp and extra speakers" that the 307cc gets with JBL system.

and the ten channels is for driving extra speakers if needed, for our audio fans. :beer:

DRTDVL

Reaction score
We have the JBL system in our car and the xenoensss... I spent the better part of 4 days installing sound deadening into the car to get the stereo to not vibrate the crap out of the car. After adding the sound deadening it made a massive difference to the quality of the stereo in the car, it made us second guess the requirement to upgrade the speakers. It also cut down the road noise a LOT.

The JBL system has a lot of Mid-Range bass, but lacks down low. We are still contemplating adding a small sub in the boot to add that low end, so we can turn down the bass in an attempt to reduce that mid-range bass BOOMing.

There is a whole lot of photos and stuff in my project / car thread

SilverGTi_6

Reaction score
Thanks guys, pending an inspection tomorrow I think I've pretty much bought a car with the Xenons and JBL system.

Appreciate all of your advice and assistance.

Cheers
Ben

DKZ5745

Reaction score
SilverGTi_6 said:
Thanks guys, pending an inspection tomorrow I think I've pretty much bought a car with the Xenons and JBL system.

Appreciate all of your advice and assistance.

Cheers
Ben

All we'll need then is some pictures :thumbup: (the car - that is, not you ;) )