What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

JBL Sound System Upgrade Help

PhilUK

Reaction score
Considering upgrading the standard sound system to the JBL option.

Can anyone confirm that all the required components are included in this pic?

I'm guessing this is compatible with the standard (non sat nav) head unit? Is it just plug and play?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
That's obviously the power amplifier where in the car is that located?
What's the power of the oval speakers 25w ?
I'm curious because that's the power on one in the scrapyard which has the JBL system in.
Just a thought, if you are changing the unit, you might want to get one with dab, I thought this was standard on JBL systems and my JBL system doesn't have dab.
Sorry I can't tell you if you need anything additional.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

2retro

Reaction score
There's a guide on here somewhere from someone who has upgraded their stereo speakers but it's not a job I would fancy much...

I've always thought the standard set up was pretty decent actually. Never really understood the point in top end audio when all you do is listen to crappy MP3's on it! lol

DKZ5745

Reaction score
+1 I normally turn mine off except for very long runs. I prefer to listen to my 200 horses

Ivoleon

Reaction score
Hi!

I literally swapped the rear speakers three weeks ago. I used this guide on the forum which guided me through the process http://www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10771

I only changed the rear speakers to the JBL Car GTO 939, in my opinion the two front speakers who are producing high and medium frequencies are good enough. Please be warned, Peugeot did an excellent job at making the rear speakers as inaccessible as possible, changing them will take you 3-5h.

The rear speakers are connected by two small wires (standard red/black) but the connector is custom made by Peugeot and not reusable. I had to cut the wires and solder a new connector along with a cable extension to it. Furthermore, the plastic casing that holds the rear speakers in place is also custom and will most likely not fit your speakers. I had to cut the plastic casing deeper into the room behind the speakers (where the rear tire is), and screw the speakers onto a wooden ring which I then attached to the plastic case.

It looks like you have everything, two oval big speakers for the back, two medium speakers for the doors and two small speakers for the dashboard.

I don't have confirmation on this but the amplifier in the stock radio should do 25 watts on 2-4 ohm. The rear speaker I can confirm are 25w and made out of cardboard. The factory speaker are not bad, but they are also not good. I highly recommend changing the speakers, it makes a big difference.

Fun fact: The RCZ has virtually no sound dampening. My friends hear my music in their houses when I'm parking. Be prepared to have the world listen to your music while you drive on high volume.

I'll be glad to answer further questions, but I can only speak for the rear speakers, I did not bother to change the rest. The bass is gently massaging your back through the seats, windows are very slightly shaking but anything more than that and you're entering the realms of insanity. My friend has a 2k watt system in his van and I hate it, it's just compressed air and rattling from the car's plastic.

PhilUK

Reaction score
The JBL parts in the pic are from an RCZ so my thinking is it should be plug and play.

Just need to know if any additional parts/looms are required.

Ivoleon

Reaction score
Again, I can only talk for the rear speakers but I would be very surprised if the other speakers are different.

It's not consumer friendly 'plug and play' where you remove a connector from the old speakers and connect the new speakers.

This means you need soldering iron. I also recommend some spare wires, the stock wires are not long enough. Alternatively , if you have them, you can use a cable connector, that's a little plastic device that holds two wires together. Here an example https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1403/5817/products/Phoenix_only.jpg?v=1512763644

Apart from that, yes you can consider it plug and play if you connect the wires. Radio on and it should play.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
I very much doubt getting the amp to play ball without the requisite loom will be much fun.
Which from memory of pulling my RCZ apart to fix rattles lives somewhere around the rear lights. Which side I don't remember.

On the subject of sound dampening, the interior of an RCZ is certainly a lot quieter than my current car was. Which has had the front speakers upgraded and sound deadening material applied in various places.
I can actually head the radio on the motorway now.