What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

jacking up rcz

A

Anonymous

hi has any one used a jack yet to clean the wheels i was just checking to see if anyone knew where the jacking points where and what sort of jack you might
need. i had a quick look and noticed a piece that looks like it fits into a vee type of jack not sure :helpme:

FGRob

Reaction score
J_SLADE1 said:
hi has any one used a jack yet to clean the wheels i was just checking to see if anyone knew where the jacking points where and what sort of jack you might
need. i had a quick look and noticed a piece that looks like it fits into a vee type of jack not sure :helpme:
Yep had all four wheels off, I used a trolley jack (2 tonne) under the jacking points along the sill - they stick down at each end of the sill about 50 - 60mm wide with two half holes in each end - if you know what I mean :crazy: , you can't miss them just make sure you clear the plastic sill at the rear end of the car.

Had a good look around under there, looks OK no real crap traps, cleans up OK as well, one thing I did do is put some copper grease were the wheel centre mounts on the hub, it does rust and will cause rust marks to filter through with time - just a little tip :thumbup: :geek:

Oh yes I did put some rim wax on - cleaned it today noticed not so much dust and easier to clean.

Rob

A

Anonymous

hi thanks for that rob ill look when the weather picks up a little bit how are you enjoying your rcz

A

Anonymous

Yes cheers for the info Rob, you can't beat a trolley jack always wanted one. Shouldn't you use jack stands as well or do they come with locking pins nowadays? Also, what would be a good make to get? :eusa-think:

Greg

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
J_SLADE1 said:
" I used a trolley jack (2 tonne) under the jacking points along the sill - they stick down at each end of the sill about 50 - 60mm wide with two half holes in each end - if you know what I mean :crazy: , you can't miss them just make sure you clear the plastic sill at the rear end of the car."

Rob

Hello, sorry to wake up an old thread, but I was going to change to winter wheels yesterday and got very unsure about where to put the jack, all I could see was black plastic.

Are the "half holes" you are talking about visible in the black plastic or do you have to remove the plastic? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

The "jacking points" for what they worth are small pieces of metal protruding from the underside of the car. They are approximately two inches long and about halve an inch deep. Four in total, two on either side, one closer to the front the other towards the rear. Extreme care is required, as the side skirt of the car has been cut out around these points and can so easily be damaged. Mine cost £500 to replace after the car slipped off of the scissor jack.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
The "jacking points" for what they worth are small pieces of metal protruding from the underside of the car. They are approximately two inches long and about halve an inch deep. Four in total, two on either side, one closer to the front the other towards the rear. Extreme care is required, as the side skirt of the car has been cut out around these points and can so easily be damaged. Mine cost £500 to replace after the car slipped off of the scissor jack.

I saw about your misfortune when searching the forum for answers for my question... Sad story. Glad we gave up yesterday, rather than "trial and error"...

Thank you for your quick reply OO58RON!

I think I know which metal pieces you are talking about, in the front I saw some which were about two inches wide, sticking down about half an inch. On the back there were something similar, but much wider?

I found a picture of the back one in this thread:http://peugeotrczforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=881&start=100

(it seems you should place the jack "in the front" of these wider ones???)

A

Anonymous

Yes the back ones are about 4" long. The jack pictured appears to me to not actually be using the jacking point at all and appears to me to be too far forward! I have just received my newly purchased jack and intend having a cylindrical piece of metal bored out so that it sits secularly onto the trolley jack and the other end with a slot cut out to allow the cars jacking points to sit within it and be unable to slip off. But the closeness of the side skirt terrifies me!!!

A

Anonymous

OK, this worries me more and more... :wtf:

I get your idea, sounds like the right thing to do... don't have the time to fix it though, the roads will be slippery the day after tomorrow...

Do you know if the "solid" area goes all the way out from those metal pieces to the side of the car?

A

Anonymous

KRAFTWERK said:
OK, this worries me more and more... :wtf:

I get your idea, sounds like the right thing to do... don't have the time to fix it though, the roads will be slippery the day after tomorrow...

Do you know if the "solid" area goes all the way out from those metal pieces to the side of the car?
No, unfortunately I do not know. Sorry to pass on my hesitancy to you. However with my experiences I'm sure you will understand why it scares me. The plastic would surely crack/break if any type of pressure is put on it, so I do not see how the car was jacked up in that photograph.

I have never before had any concerns about changing a wheel, however with this car and the ridiculous jacking points provided it is a whole different story.

If I was in your position I would have no hesitancy in calling into a tyre place and have them change the wheels rather than risk expensive remedial work if you was to "go through" the plastic skirt.

Sorry to be the bearer of doom and gloom.

A

Anonymous

No problem OO58RON, I am glad to get the info you provide.
Better to know what might happen if you aren't careful than to not know.

I must say it is poorly explained in the users manual, no mention of exactly where to lift it.

On the other hand (at least the Swedish manual) is careful to tell you to put the bolts in a clean area.
And to be sure all passengers are in a safe place while changing the wheels... :sleeping-yellow:

A

Anonymous

"put the bolts in a clean area." What are they referring too? What bolts?

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:

OK, sorry, my english translation... Wheelnuts!!! :eusa-whistle:

A

Anonymous

KRAFTWERK said:
OO58RON said:

OK, sorry, my english translation... Wheelnuts!!! :eusa-whistle:
Sorry was not referring to your English which is perfect. I just didn't understand were bolts came into the jacking up process. Fancy telling you to keep the wheel nuts clean but not explain exactly how and where to jack the car up from :wtf:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Fancy telling you to keep the wheel nuts clean but not explain exactly how and where to jack the car up from

...exactly... :roll:

OK, will se if I will give it a go tomorrow... Thanks for all you help mate!

A

Anonymous

On a side note, Is your forum name anything to do with the great German group of the same name? I have a couple of their albums in my music collection.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
On a side note, Is your forum name anything to do with the great German group of the same name? I have a couple of their albums in my music collection.

Yes it is, I used to be a big fan, well, I still am... :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
Fahren fahren fahren auf die Autobahn...
http://www.kraftwerk.com

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Fancy telling you to keep the wheel nuts clean but not explain exactly how and where to jack the car up from :wtf:

I see it is as unclear in the English manual, don't worry about ruining the skirts, but be careful with those bolts!!!!

And judging from the placement of the jack in the manual, the support should go all the way to the car side?

Dunno... :roll:

Attachments

• RemovingTheWheel.jpg
    RemovingTheWheel.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 6,413
A

Anonymous

In my case point "B" from the images that you have posted, split apart and bent from the vertical to the horizontal. Points "A" and "B" do not seem to me to be capable of sustaining the weight of the car and are not wide enough to support a jack.

Basically it is not ideal, but then again Peugeot didn't supply the tools to change a wheel and therefore I feel that I can't really complain, but it does cause me great concern (put politely)

A

Anonymous

Awful experience you've must have had... Well finally we did it!

It took 2 hours (1 hour to figure out how to do it)
As far as wee could see there are no weight support at all outside the "metal pieces"

We used a flat "rubber puck" on the jack which we put straight under these metal pieces sticking out.
(Not ideal, the rubber almost split in two after the last lift) some kind of metal construction would be much better.
Actually looking at "kentdriver:s" lift again, this is what he also did, I see now that the image must show the lifting of the right front tyre... and his jack is "holding" around the "metal piece" *phew* I was nervous!!!