What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

iPhone music breaking up using USB connection

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Having a few problems with this, anyone come across a similar problem?

Symptoms are that when the iphone's playing music while connected via the Apple lead to the USB port in the armrest compartment there is repeated random 'breaking up', which sounds rather like what you'd expect to hear if power was interrupted. It only happens using the USB, on bluetooth there's no problem.

It makes no difference if bluetooth is on or off, if the phone's in airplane mode or not. It happens if you stream radio from the net (Listening to the TT races!). I've tried to see if it depends on the track format, but that's not it either.

Main dealer says he can't detect a problem......

Supermoto.

A

Anonymous

Yes, I've tried four different cables (All Apple though) and three iphones (two 4's and a 3G). I reckon it's got to be faulty wiring in the car, but I'd like to see if anyone's got a definitive answer / cure.

A

Anonymous

Before you look at the poss of faulty wiring try using a usb thumb drive in the slot. songs have to be in mp3 format (poss others supported but not apples aac format)
my entire itunes library is in mp3 format so i copied the lot to a usb drive. its a fantastic solution and all of the steering column mounted controls work great. i now have it permanently plugged in leaving my phone free to sit in its holder on windscreen.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

i'd double check with you dealer there isn't a download for the handsfree unit that deal's with your usb connection as well as bluetooth etc.

Is it the monocrome orange screen or is it a colour screen sat nav?

The download i think only corrects the monocrome screen system (RD4), it was put out for 207-308 models, not sure if it affect's rcz's to.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

PeugeotTech,

It is the orange screen model (RD4?). Is there any Peugeot bulletin number or anything that I should tell the dealer to refer to? Car's a 2011 model, delivered a week ago.

Mohora, thanks for your advice, I'll give that a try but i doubt if it will address the issue as it doesn't seem to be linked to the phone's signal ( As it still occurs in airplane mode)

Supermoto

A

Anonymous

Hi Supermoto
Sorry i wasn't particularly clear. i wasn't suggesting it was a phone signal issue. The usb is simply (for me) a more elegant solution. i bought one of those really small and compact usb sticks because i didn't like the phone bouncing around in the armrest plus i really prefer my phone to be in my eye line so i use griffin windscreen mount.
i hope you get it sorted.
cheers

A

Anonymous

mine does the exact same issue as yours it constantly cuts out i find.

I get around it by bluetoothing the music then it has no problem at all.

A

Anonymous

Mine does this as well - have an iPhone4. I think it is probably due to a sensitive dock connector on the iPhone - it seems a slight bit of vibration will cause the 'jump'.

RCZ1

Reaction score
I've been using my IPhone 4s in the RCZ for the last 3 or 4 months and never had any problems with it either when streaming via Bluetooth or most usually, via the USB.

A

Anonymous

I had a very similar problem with my ipod after my daughter connected my e-mail to it. I have discovered (after asking a few experts) that when there is an e-mail that is sitting in the inbox it causes a slight ticking noise so maybe this is what you are describing. I now pick up all my e-mails on my blackberry and read, file or delete and find this has stopped the noise.

A

Anonymous

Same with me, I phone 4 , for a year - no problems with audio connection at all.
The sat nav app even comes thought the stereo .

A

Anonymous

Hello All, I have just got my RCZ and experienced the same sound breakup when playing my ipod or iPhone through the USB connection. I decided to try putting some MP3 files on a memory stick, these played fine, however when i connected my iPod again this now plays without any breakup, strange.

Geoff

A

Anonymous

Same problem using iPhone 5, no issues when using bluetooth.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I had a skipping problem when using an IPOD rather than phone...tried various different connectors, and always the same issue...sounded almost like a cd skipping...very annoying.

In the end, I gave up on my ipod altogether, and put all my music on a memory card...and the problem was sorted.

From another board, someone posted this, which would not accidentally snap in the arm rest, and has plenty of memory for as many songs as you like....hope this works .

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Verbatim-43941- ... 556&sr=8-3

A

Anonymous

One more thought on this - check the battery status on your iPod / iPhone - it may be that when the battery is low you experience the problem, and when it is high / full you do not? my thinking is that the USB connection does not supply enough current to charge the iDevice and play music at the same time - so you would get no problems with a USB Memory stick as that is not drawing current (iPhone draws 1A of current, iPad 2.1A, and older iPods 500mA - the USB standards state it must be able to supply 500mA (0.5A))

Just a thought as I have been puzzling through why people might get these issues...

A

Anonymous

What a clever bit of thinking! Please excuse my naivety electrically here but, connected by USB the iPod/iPhone/device should be charging/powered by the USB connection so I would have thought the level of charge on the peripheral device wouldn't matter would it? :eusa-think;

A

Anonymous

If it is already charged then it won't draw hardly any current. Also you'll find that if the battery is low it draws the full amount, but this tails off as it approaches full.

A

Anonymous

Just to add to this - it could therefore explain why some people are fine using an iPod Nano, but others are reporting problems with the iPhone / iPod Touch etc. etc.

A

Anonymous

Colour me intrigued... :eusa-think: Why would that be? Is it to do with the levels of charge that the nano holds and/or the battery size?