What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Increase Performance on 1.6 156 engine ???

santi

Reaction score
Hi, the thp engine suffers always from overheating..200thp and 270 thp have a front mount intercooler, but if you want to performance the car you must change the OEM for a big one, the good news in 200thp...you have a side to side IC so is more simple find a big one that fits whiout meny mods.
If you make a remap of the ecu using the stock car part try not increase the torque so much ( I know from a thp hiting 350nm that blow apart)

Reaction score
Thanks Santi,

All my blurb about performance was related to the 1.6 I was thinking of buying. Having driven one I was a bit disappointed in the power output.

Problem solved ... I bought a 200bhp... Magic !!!
Thanks for the super knowledgeable advice. Is the overheating something I need to be aware of ? It seems fine.

I'm getting along with the car but am trying to improving the clutch balance point. Possibly a raising of the floor and a carefully measured and securely placed lump of wood behind the clutch pedal. Sounds crazy but it should work by limiting the distance I need to press the pedal and thus having less travel to the bite point.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Seriously, you will just get used to it. It was the weirdest clutch I had ever used when I got it, but now it just seems normal, unless I’ve been driving my new Range Rover which is an Auto, and then I usually forget to use the clutch, which is not normal 😱

Reaction score
Hhhhaaaa. Thanks I guess you are right. I bet if your other car was a manual you be right up sh1T street.
I will give it a couple of weeks before messing about. I find the clutch is quite heavy and hard to control. I have to take my heel off the floor to get it to balance. Its hard to guess just where that will be. If I keep my heel on the floor, the pedal gets kind of stuck under my foot ...then comes in all at once.
Changing 1st to 2nd smoothly is a black art I have yet to acquire. But as you say, it wont seem so weird after a month or so.

The design model for the ergonomics must have been really weird too. 3ft legs and 4ft arms, with a size 15 clutch foot. Haaa !

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think the guy who designed the clutch pedal also had something to do with the handbrake lever 🤣

wilsofar

Reaction score
I’m really puzzled by your comments re Clutch and handbrake.

I find the clutch to be beautifully controllable ,even if slightly heavier than my 2008 which is very light,and I haven’t even noticed anything wrong with the handbrake.

Mind you anything would be easier to operate then the weird handbrake on my 2008 which after 4 years my wife still has to use two hands to operate and very often can’t release it at all (thank goodness for hill start system)!

Reaction score
Hhmm, thanks for that. My previous car was a Focus S. The clutch pedal was level with the others and didn't have so much travel.
Guess my size 8s will get used the the RCZ soon.

Jumper

Reaction score
Hi Santi,

Thanks for the detailed description. The remapping guy promised me 190bhp from a stage 1 remap on the 156 engine without any extra parts. The cost with Dyno tests £350.
As you see above I have now bought a 2015 THP 200 so I may be happy with the increased performance. Do you think the 200 would benefit in power terms from a bigger IC ? I bet they cost a packet. Can you tell me if the 2015 THP petrol engine suffers from the overheating problem ?

Hi Rod. DC Mapping in Birchwood did my Saab turbo three years ago and they did a great job he added some nice little tweeks too that I sked for. I have a 156 GT and its faster than my old 93 and all have is quads and a Piper Cross fast flow filter. Hope you enjoy your 200 good luck. Dave.

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I was going to use DS in Birchwood. We must be quite local. At the moment I am finding the 200 quite quick enough in its sweet spot. I'm sure when I get used to the clutch I can get near the specified 0-60 time. That will do me for now :p

DKZ5745

Reaction score
A lot of owners who have had theirs on a rolling road have discovered that the output is greater than that specified by Peugeot before any tweeks.
I have had mine for 7 years, and I have always been able to beat the 0-60 time if the conditions were right, I.e. flat smooth dry straight level road with no traffic (or speed cameras😱).
I’ve recently had new coils, plugs, and now new fuel rail & HPFP. It feels even quicker now 👍

Ian J.

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm picking up my lovely pearlescent white 2014 car this week. I haven't driven the 156 BHP petrol yet and am a bit scared that I will be disappointed with the 0 to 60.
Is there a tried and tested mod to up the power a bit.
Where should I start.? Remapping, air filter, fancy hoses....?

Cheers Rob
Rob
What you might want to consider is that 0-60 isn't the half of it. My previous car was a 510 BHP XKR and in a straight line there wasn't much that would keep up with it but the RCZ is a different car entirely. The fun of these cars is going round corners without having to use the brake pedal for anything other than a stop. My current car is a late 156THP and its not quick in a straight line but round the corners it comes into its own.

Reaction score
Rob
What you might want to consider is that 0-60 isn't the half of it. My previous car was a 510 BHP XKR and in a straight line there wasn't much that would keep up with it but the RCZ is a different car entirely. The fun of these cars is going round corners without having to use the brake pedal for anything other than a stop. My current car is a late 156THP and its not quick in a straight line but round the corners it comes into its own.

Reaction score
I agree Ian ... thanks.
Before I got my RCZ I was a bit concerned that it might be a "hairdressers Car" all show and no go. My previous Focus S had 180 BHP and I didn't want anything with less poke. I have not been disappointed. But I do agree that the RCZ is not just about 0-60 straight lining. I am really enjoying a new style of driving in a car that is capable of such amazing cornering speed. The only thing I have to watch on our narrow country roads is hurtling round corners too fast and coming up against a tractor or a herd of cyclists.

Reaction score
A lot of owners who have had theirs on a rolling road have discovered that the output is greater than that specified by Peugeot before any tweeks.
I have had mine for 7 years, and I have always been able to beat the 0-60 time if the conditions were right, I.e. flat smooth dry straight level road with no traffic (or speed cameras😱).
I’ve recently had new coils, plugs, and now new fuel rail & HPFP. It feels even quicker now 👍

Thanks DK, Really interesting. Now I have the 200 I really don't hanker for even more power. I passed my IAM test recently and really don't want to blot my book 😇

Jumper

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I was going to use DS in Birchwood. We must be quite local. At the moment I am finding the 200 quite quick enough in its sweet spot. I'm sure when I get used to the clutch I can get near the specified 0-60 time. That will do me for now :p
Yeah pretty close I'm in Newton. I get my parts from GSF Auto Parts in Trafford Park they seem to have more RCZ parts in stock without the need to order them like at Euro's near mackies. I got my VVT solenoid, Timing chain tensioner and rocker cover gasket all from GSF.

Agis

Reaction score
You will be happy with a remap as I am high flow filter and your done you could always add stripes they’re good for another 10bhp at least 😏

+1 for the stripes. 👍 The double ones, give twice the bhp 😉

Just a mock-up

1598218320901.png

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Had mine 7 years, not had any problems with overheating whatsoever. In fact, not had many problems at all. Superb car 👍