What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Increase Performance on 1.6 156 engine ???

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm picking up my lovely pearlescent white 2014 car this week. I haven't driven the 156 BHP petrol yet and am a bit scared that I will be disappointed with the 0 to 60.
Is there a tried and tested mod to up the power a bit.
Where should I start.? Remapping, air filter, fancy hoses....?

Cheers Rob

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think the remap is probably a good starting point and then it depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go 🤔🏎

Reaction score
Thanks. Love yer motor. I wonder what increase performance I might get ? Guess I will ring some engine tuners tommorow.

2retro

Reaction score
What car are you currently driving, Rob?

Reaction score
For the last couple of years I have driven a Ford Focus 1.6 ecoboost with 180 bhp. Its quick enough for me at 7.5 secs to 60 and has decent torque. As opposed to 8.3 for the RCZ 156.
I realise that maybe I should hold out for an RCZ 1.6 200 but I love this car and got it cheap, leaving about £600 to play with it.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You will find that the RCZ “feels” faster than your focus when driving it. It looks faster, even when parked 👍

Reaction score
Hhhhaaaaa. I think you are right. Not wishing to waste dealers time I have only managed to drive the Diesel RCZ which was very quick (once you got into the power zone)
Don't know how the 156bhp will compare. Guess I will have to drive it and see.
Thanks for your comment

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm picking up my lovely pearlescent white 2014 car this week. I haven't driven the 156 BHP petrol yet and am a bit scared that I will be disappointed with the 0 to 60.
Is there a tried and tested mod to up the power a bit.
Where should I start.? Remapping, air filter, fancy hoses....?

Cheers Rob
Quad exhaust & a Fast flow air filter is classed as a stage 1 Then a remap up to maybe 190/200 etc is on the stage 2 mark but you need to take into account the forces on the Engine Parameters with the extra power plus you will by increasing the BHP decrease the life of the plugs & Oil etc
You might consider taking it to the 190 spec to see how it performs but whatever you do don't remap without a Rolling road diagnostic readout to check the health of the Engine & ECU systems etc
Definitely go to a recommended tuner with all the right gear not a "Knock on the Door me laptops in the van Jobber" otherwise you will get your wallet burnt for sure & end up with a nightmare comes true scenario

Reaction score
Many Thanks Pedro. That's just the info I need. I wonder what sort of bhp I could expect with stage 1 ?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Hhhhaaaaa. I think you are right. Not wishing to waste dealers time I have only managed to drive the Diesel RCZ which was very quick (once you got into the power zone)
Don't know how the 156bhp will compare. Guess I will have to drive it and see.
Thanks for your comment
I test drove a 156 before buying my 200. I was impressed by the power of the 156, but I was coming from a Renault Megane CC which as they reported on Top Gear weighed a couple of Kg less than a Chieftain Tank.
The 200 was something else. It was the fastest production car Peugeot had made until the R came along. I have only once been out accelerated in all the time I’ve had it, and that was by a Seat Leon, that had clearly had a bit of work done under the hood.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Reaction score
Thank you so much. I am looking forward to my drive. I have been checking on remapping the 156 and DC Remapping and Rolling Road in Warrington say they can easily and safely get 180bhp from a stage 1 remap, without having to change the exhaust or anything. Seems the route to go. Its the same bhp as my Focus S which I am happy with.

2retro

Reaction score
An RCZ or a Ford Focus. Hmmmm... Tough choice! 🤣

Reaction score
I know hhhhaaaaaa but I have enjoyed the Focus S performance and handling. Looking forward to mu new BEAUTIFUL motor

Pedro

Reaction score
Many Thanks Pedro. That's just the info I need. I wonder what sort of bhp I could expect with stage 1 ?
Stage 1 Changing the Air Filter & exhaust set up will give slight gains with faster Air flow on acceleration & more Exhaust gasses freely escaping through the Quad Tail pipes but remapping the ECU is the biggest difference for power gain because it advances the dynamics of the Engines output as per the throttle demand for more fuel & air & increases in Torque through the gears
After I bought the GT 200 I was not impressed by the 1 to 2 gear power ratio mainly due to legislated laws governing emissions their power is hampered by configured programmes in the ECU but I'm Very tempted after the lock down to get rid of the "drag" on start off which is evident on these cars with a proper remap

Reaction score
I thought the 2 litre diesel I drove had absolutely nothing in first and second gear. Seemed like a big cock up by Peugeot.
I'm sure the 156bbhp will be a lot better in this respect. Thanks to all. I am reassured that buying the car is s good idea. If I do find it too much of a "hairdressers car" I can have it tweaked at reasonable cost and have a beautiful looking sports car that actually has a bit of umph !
Looking at cost per pound of umph. mapping seems a cheaper option for the moderate 180bhp performance I need. I was quoted about 400 quid for a quad exhaust Gulp !
The tuning guy says you can dump the cat and still pass your MOT. :rolleyes: HHHmmmm Not sure about that one

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
You will be happy with a remap as I am high flow filter and your done you could always add stripes they’re good for another 10bhp at least 😏

santi

Reaction score
Hello Rob if you want to performance your 1.6L 156hp, first of all a big front intercooler, the thp engine lost power for overheating (in thp 150,156,175,200 and 208) som of this engines are the old ones thp (peugeot 207 gt and rc) and new ones (rcz 156 and peugeot 208 gti and gti by Peugeot sport) my first ecu remap give me 156hp using factory setup and 183hp whiout big IC also the torque was a problem too (lot of detonation inside the chambers) finaly and using a big IC we hit the 192hp and the car goes very fine.

Reaction score
Thanks to all you guys (and girls)
I had a few problems getting the car from Scotland. It hadn't got a log book. Still I was signed up and sent a deposit and I was planning a stage 1 remap.

Autotrader hit the net on Thursday 12.30 am and a cracking 2015 Pearlescent white 200 appeared!!!! Just the thing I wanted, with a bit more umph ... and only 22,000 miles. from a dealer in Bishop Stortford. Bloomin miles away !
Priced over the book at £11,000. I should not have shown my enthusiasm so much as he wouldn't budge on the price and screwed me to £6250k for my lovely Focus S.

One good thing about dealers despite there need to make maximum dosh on all transactions is that they are willing to bring the car nearer to me. So think of me guys on the way to Brum Thursday this week. Can't wait to get my hands on it and start a wonderful new adventure in the best looking car on the road !

No doubt I will be back on here asking silly questions about bluetooth set up and speed limiter etc.

Best Wishes to all and thanks for being there>
Rob

Attachments

• PEUGEOT__RCZ__THP_GT__PETROL__WHITE__2015__EO15RVN-e04.jpg
    PEUGEOT__RCZ__THP_GT__PETROL__WHITE__2015__EO15RVN-e04.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PEUGEOT__RCZ__THP_GT__PETROL__WHITE__2015__EO15RVN-e16.jpg
    PEUGEOT__RCZ__THP_GT__PETROL__WHITE__2015__EO15RVN-e16.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Hello Rob if you want to performance your 1.6L 156hp, first of all a big front intercooler, the thp engine lost power for overheating (in thp 150,156,175,200 and 208) som of this engines are the old ones thp (peugeot 207 gt and rc) and new ones (rcz 156 and peugeot 208 gti and gti by Peugeot sport) my first ecu remap give me 156hp using factory setup and 183hp whiout big IC also the torque was a problem too (lot of detonation inside the chambers) finaly and using a big IC we hit the 192hp and the car goes very fine.

Reaction score
Hi Santi,

Thanks for the detailed description. The remapping guy promised me 190bhp from a stage 1 remap on the 156 engine without any extra parts. The cost with Dyno tests £350.
As you see above I have now bought a 2015 THP 200 so I may be happy with the increased performance. Do you think the 200 would benefit in power terms from a bigger IC ? I bet they cost a packet. Can you tell me if the 2015 THP petrol engine suffers from the overheating problem ?