What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Iced up filler cap

A

Anonymous

One to be aware of on icy mornings ....

When filling up yesterday morning (very cold and icy) some water had obviously collected under the filler cap and frozen. This formed a wedge under the cap meaning I struggled to press it down to open the flap!!

Thought I was going to have to give up on putting fuel in, but a bit of persistence paid off!!

Anyone else had this problem?

FGRob

Reaction score
Not had that one yet, but have noticed when closing the boot lid care is needed as ice does form between the lid edge and the bumper lip which if pressed to hard could damamge the paint work. :shock:

The only other concern is the side windows when they drop when first open the door, not sure how this is going to work when the heavy frost arrive and stick the rubber to the glass, I'm wondering if this willl damage the motors?

Time will tell I'm sure.

Rob :geek:

A

Anonymous

You can open the cap without pushing it down...just open the boot und gently lift the cap with your fingers :)

A

Anonymous

Hot water will shift it if you know you're going to need to fill up first thing.

A

Anonymous

Didn't think about the windows - Good point.

I was thinking about the rear spoiler.
If it's iced up, will it actually lift up or will the motors spin round constantly trying to lift it until eventual success - or motor burn-out.
Alternatively, do the motors just rotate to what it should do and just stop - even if the spoiler hasn't moved.

GaryLarry

Reaction score
These are very good questions. Let's hope we get some answers soon because I don't fancy pouring hot water or de-icer over numerous areas of the car to get away in the morning.

FGRob

Reaction score
Gorwell said:
Didn't think about the windows - Good point.

I was thinking about the rear spoiler.
If it's iced up, will it actually lift up or will the motors spin round constantly trying to lift it until eventual success - or motor burn-out.
Alternatively, do the motors just rotate to what it should do and just stop - even if the spoiler hasn't moved.
Hi Gorwell.

Not too worried about the spoiler as it only touches on a couple of small rubber pads (no seal like the filler cap) with no real area for water to collect and freeze as the drainage is pretty good, so I think we should be OK.

I think only time will tell on this one - what else will freeze I mean, I'm sure, as winter moves in, we will have more fun :wtf:

God I love those seats - toasted backside you can't beat it, mind you you need to careful if you've had a curry :eek: :shock: :wtf: :lol: :lol:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Also noticed during frosty weather that boot does not open

A

Anonymous

The BMW mini has the same drop down windows and during that last cold snap it took 15 minutes and half a can of deicer just to get the driver side door open :-/
Don't think the hot water on cold glass is such a good idea though

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'm not too sure where in the country you guys are, but here in Scotland we have had pretty much freezing weather since end of November. I've had no problem with the windows stopping the doors from unlocking/opening. No problem with the filler cap either, however as you will see from my previous post, I did have a problem with the lock on the boot freezing and defrosting then freezing again and defrosting......numerous times and water being left in the rubber which eventually stopped my boot from working. The boot opened every time I unlocked my car and also opened every time I stopped the car and opened the door to get out. Result was a new locking mechanism fitted by dealer and my fingers crossed we don't have much more of this weather. Though looking outside at the moment.......it's White and frozen again....aaarrrggghhh.

A

Anonymous

philbuk said:
The BMW mini has the same drop down windows and during that last cold snap it took 15 minutes and half a can of deicer just to get the driver side door open :-/
Don't think the hot water on cold glass is such a good idea though
I only ever use tepid...check with fingers and if it feels even warm to them add more cold. Better to have still-frozen windows than craaaaacccckkkkkeeeeddddd!!! :(